Sponsored by:

Track Day at Road America (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Track Day at Road America (with video)

Completed my third track day in 11 days, wrapping up at my favorite track, Road America. Weather stayed dry for most of the day, and in the 3rd session (with a fresh set of Carbotech XP12's in the front and some open track), I ran a 2:44. Had to pass quite a few cars on the way there, though!

General reflections:

This car is a beast on the track. I passed just about everything that wasn't a race car or costing twice what the C7 does. I was in group 1 (experienced) and passed every Porsche in the group except one 911 Turbo S, which I could keep up with but not pass. I believe I was only passed by the C6 race car in our group as well.

The engine, tires (stock), balance, shifter and steering feel were beyond my expectations. The only weak point of the car are the rotors. Even with the cooling rings and track pads installed, they started exhibiting surface cracking after two events, though they performed just fine at the third (RA), though the cracking spread. I plan on replacing the rotors this winter with something more suited for the track (and that doesn't need the rings - what a PITA to get off (dealer put them on)). I was running Carbotech XP12s in front and XP10s in the rear, and while the rear pads are just fine, I ran through a set of front pads in 2 1/2 sessions (changed at lunch at RA).

I had the car set up per GM's track specs (alignment, cooling rings, engine oil, brake fluid) by the dealer. At my first event (Autobahn in Joliet, IL), I lost the brake pedal completely after about 1/2 - 2/3 the way through the first and second sessions. I actually ran over to a speed shop at lunch and had the fluid changed to Motul 660 (don't know what the dealer used, only that it was DOT4). After that, the pedal stayed firm until about 3/4 the way through when it would soften somewhat but not go out completely. It was about the same at Blackhawk, but in both cases, the pedal would give plenty of notice that it was getting soft. At Road America, I had no issues whatsoever, though there are many more long straights to cool the brakes and fluid there. Maybe stainless steel lines will help?

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the car, and man does it attract attention! Strangely, I was the only C7 at this event, which had over 150 drivers (plenty of C5/6's, and even a C3 as you'll see). Best part of the day was when a kid about 11 or 12 stopped to take a bunch of pictures in the paddock. As he was walking away, I asked him if he wanted to sit in it. His eyes lit up and he gave me a look like, "Really?" I opened the door and he got behind the wheel. I took his camera and got a few pics of him behind the wheel. That should have been a great Monday at school for him

Here's the video:

Old 10-22-2014, 09:12 AM
bluez51c7
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting this, great vid and NICE driving. My car get built next week, Z51 manual coupe, off to Ron Fellows, can't wait
Old 10-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Nice video
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 10-22-2014, 09:54 AM
TEAShea
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are a good driver - good line, smooth, fast and safe - props
Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by bluez51c7
Thanks for posting this, great vid and NICE driving. My car get built next week, Z51 manual coupe, off to Ron Fellows, can't wait
Thank you! When are you going to Ron Fellows? I'll be there Feb 10-12 for the 3 day.

If I had it all to do over again, I would replace the rotors right away and save them and the stock pads for later.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by TEAShea
You are a good driver - good line, smooth, fast and safe - props
Thanks!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 AM
bluez51c7
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ron Fellows

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
Thank you! When are you going to Ron Fellows? I'll be there Feb 10-12 for the 3 day.

If I had it all to do over again, I would replace the rotors right away and save them and the stock pads for later.
I wanted to get used to the car for awhile so that when I got to the school I would be somewhat familiar with it and not be fumbling around trying to figure out how to open the door.

I have not picked a date but sometime after the first of the year. It looks like you could teach at Ron Fellows.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome vid, brought back memories. The Stingray sure looks as strong as my 07 Z06. My un-official BEST lap was 2:54 in my Z06 and I hit 155 once going into turn 1. Scary in a street car.

I have about 100 laps at RA between my 06 Z51 coupe and 07 Z06. Not sure I'll track my Stingray.

As a kid growing up in Milwaukee my buddies and I used to go watch the TA races, man epic battles bwteen the Camaro's, Mustangs, Javlins and Cuda's.

Fond memories.

Last edited by AFVETTE; 10-22-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:10 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you know if the chicane just before corner 11 is just for track days or is that permanent now? I started my corner working carrier at the old corner 11, the only corner on the track where the cars are coming directly at the corner station. (You can see the tent where the corner station is just past the chicane.)
2:44 is impressive in a stock car. I was there when Mark Donohoe broke 2 minutes for the first time in a Can Am car but there were a lot of back markers there that day that weren't a lot faster than you.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Do you know if the chicane just before corner 11 is just for track days or is that permanent now? I started my corner working carrier at the old corner 11, the only corner on the track where the cars are coming directly at the corner station. (You can see the tent where the corner station is just past the chicane.)
2:44 is impressive in a stock car. I was there when Mark Donohoe broke 2 minutes for the first time in a Can Am car but there were a lot of back markers there that day that weren't a lot faster than you.
I think the chicane is generally open, but this particular event (and I'm sure others like it) they use this set-up because the chicane can be tricky and dangerous for novice drivers (and at the speeds there, even the experienced ones). Most people actually like the additional turns, but it does mean a slower lap compared to the general set-up.

Thanks for the nice comments
Old 10-22-2014, 03:46 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
I think the chicane is generally open, but this particular event (and I'm sure others like it) they use this set-up because the chicane can be tricky and dangerous for novice drivers (and at the speeds there, even the experienced ones). Most people actually like the additional turns, but it does mean a slower lap compared to the general set-up.

Thanks for the nice comments
The times I've been there is been closed. My events were hosted by the Mid West F-Body Association so I don't know if it's event/club related.

In my Z06 I could run the carousel right at 90 MPH, took a few laps to work my way up to it though. Man that was hard on the neck muscles.

Tom
Old 10-22-2014, 04:32 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Stainless lines won't do anything as the OEM lines are robust. You need dedicated direct front brake cooling for pushing a 3450lb (before driver) Z51 C7. Not sure if anyone makes a duct extension and spindle duct kit yet.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Awesome and great what you did for the kid
Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 PM
lagblue
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool thanks for posting.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Solo40oz
Instructor

Very cool. That's awesome that you can go 150mph in 4th. How accurate do you think the red brake bar indicators are in the overlay? Seems like there were a couple of times that you had to get on the brakes, but I only saw 1 red bar light up
Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Great video - thanks for sharing.

That Alfa GTV (or actually I believe it is a GT body), brought back memories from my young rally days. I used to race Alfa Romeos and Fiats.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:22 PM
fizzman
Racer

Thanks for posting!

Get notified of new replies

To Track Day at Road America (with video)

Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 PM
beekeeper
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice job. You make it look easy. Will have to do some track days after watching that.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 PM
beekeeper
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 30 Posts

They all look like you should be hearing a countdown to blast off!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:24 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Just watched the full video... most excellent:

1. I notice you have the PTM in Sport 1. I drove my student's Z51 MSRC coupe at VIR a few weeks back and suggest, based on your driving, to put that sucker in full race or take it all off. You look fast enough where you're probably over driving Sport 1.

2. What's a good lap time there for a NASA ST2 car or SCCA T1 car? Do you know off hand? Never had the opportunity to run there, track look amazing.

3. I'm most impressed with the performance data recorder. I thought it was gimmicky at first, but it would easily replace my Traqmate and Go-pro. Nice to have it fully integrated with the car. Nothing to turn etc. Three questions: 1. Is this now GPS based like a Traqmate or AIM? 2. Can you set the start/finish line manually like with a Traqmate, how's that work? Can you download the data and do any data analysis?

4. Is that chicane on the back side of the track normally there when groups race there? Was it just in place to keep max terminal speeds down for the event?

Quick Reply: Track Day at Road America (with video)