C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading wheels from '14 to '15 - dealer says GM doesn't allow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:52 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Crawler
You should be allowed to change the wheels. I've seen it done many times at Chevrolet Dealerships.

But be prepared for it to change your trade in value.

Also the wheels placed on the new car will technically not be covered under your new car warranty should you have any problems.
Nope absolutely not...
Old 10-22-2014, 10:52 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

BS.

After you purchase your 15', you can do what ever you want to do to it! It's YOUR car.

As others mentioned, the dealership doesn't want you to swap wheels because it will devalue the trade.

Find another dealership that will be willing to do that for you. There are plenty of buyers that much rather have black wheels than chrome.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Imagine an **** type looking at that C7 and finding out about the wheel swap. Freak out!
And tires....who wants used tires on their new car!
When I traded mine it had 3k miles...I didn't care I wanted the rims...whoever bought mine got brand new rims and tires...
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
BS.

After you purchase your 15', you can do what ever you want to do to it! It's YOUR car.

As others mentioned, the dealership doesn't want you to swap wheels because it will devalue the trade.

Find another dealership that will be willing to do that for you. There are plenty of buyers that much rather have black wheels than chrome.
How does it devalue the trade? The used car is getting perfect new corvette factory rims and tires...
Old 10-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Dealers want intact cars with completely perfect monroney stickers to match. Just the way the biz is.

Kinda like why you put back something on the shelf at the store when you see the packaging cellophane is broken....
Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
How does it devalue the trade? The used car is getting perfect new corvette factory rims and tires...
Because chrome is a $2000 option.
I personally would pass on a car with chrome but that's me...
Car has 1900 miles, wheels and tires should be pretty much new already!

Originally Posted by Glen e
Dealers want intact cars with completely perfect monroney stickers to match. Just the way the biz is.

Kinda like why you put back something on the shelf at the store when you see the packaging cellophane is broken....
Most used car buyers don't even expect to see the original sticker. They buy the car based off of options it has.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Most used car buyers don't even expect to see the original sticker. They buy the car based off of options it has.

I disagree , as a former used car mgr, if its got one, it adds to the sale, esp a 1 year old car....
Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Could be a legal or manuf. issue. Maybe they are not allowed to swap parts and pieces from a used car to a new car before the car is signed over to you.

After the car is signed over to you i'm sure they could care less what you do to it. Swap it or burn it. Its your car then... There is probably some legal issue that requires them to deliver to you what is on the order.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:17 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Because chrome is a $2000 option.
I personally would pass on a car with chrome but that's me...
Car has 1900 miles, wheels and tires should be pretty much new already!

Well in my case I was keeping my chromes and swapping the painted wheels. (same style) So yea I see that point but after a year or so options don't mean much on used car....
Old 10-22-2014, 11:23 PM
perrazi mx-15
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is ordering a car the way you want it built an option?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,100 Likes on 853 Posts

So your trade-in will sport the brand new wheels/tires. Sounds like a win/win.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,151 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Sounds like BS in your situation. I can see them saying "no" to swapping parts on two brand new cars, or even two used cars on the lot (I've had varying experiences with swapping stuff on two used cars, some dealers will, some won't). However, in your situation the trade they're taking in is a used car, they'd probably prefer it to have the '15 wheels with brand new tires. The new 2015 is your car and why do they care if you want 2014 chrome wheels on it.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 AM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

I think you can do a chrome wheel exchange for around 895.00 at WCC.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:00 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by C7cmnthru
The legal issue may have to do with the appearance of changing the Maroney sticker info. The sticker is as I understand it required by law. So the restrictions actually protect the buyer from dishonest dealers from messing with content. Your situation isnt likely what the law intended, but its a consequence.
That’s my understanding and it’s not in the interest of the dealer to mess with the Maroney. They’ll be happy to sell you an extra set of any factory wheels that will fit the C7. Don
Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,683 Likes on 1,862 Posts

I have a different idea. Take the new one with the black wheels. Drive it for a while and see if you like the black wheels. If not, sell them and buy chromies. I bought a TR 2014 earlier this year that had black wheels. Didn't like them at first and figured I would eventually sell them and get chromes. Guess what? Now I love them! So glad I didn't get chromies again. I've had either polished or chromies all my life, but times changes, tastes change and although I've been accused of being "old" and stuck in my ways, I've learned that sometimes trying something different isn't bad at all!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

salesman BS, just CYA.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:39 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glen e
I disagree , as a former used car mgr, if its got one, it adds to the sale, esp a 1 year old car....
If you're saying the window sticker adds to the sale meaning it's "more special?" than yes.

Adds to the same meaning it's more valuable? Then no... JMHO

I've purchased 20+ used cars that were a year old and I've never paid more for one that had a window sticker. I've actually never asked, if it's in the glove box then great. If not, doesn't matter to me.

Is a used C7 worth less without the original window sticker in the glove box?

Since you were a used car MGR at one point, how much less would you put on a car that didn't have the sticker?

Get notified of new replies

To Trading wheels from '14 to '15 - dealer says GM doesn't allow?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Imagine an **** type looking at that C7 and finding out about the wheel swap. Freak out!
And tires....who wants used tires on their new car!
I am the one who would be getting the 'used' (2100 miles) tires on the new car. My trade in (the 'used car') would be getting NEW tires and wheels.

Just a clarification.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

If you're saying the window sticker adds to the sale meaning it's "more special?" than yes.

Adds to the same meaning it's more valuable? Then no... JMHO

I've purchased 20+ used cars that were a year old and I've never paid more for one that had a window sticker. I've actually never asked, if it's in the glove box then great. If not, doesn't matter to me.

Is a used C7 worth less without the original window sticker in the glove box?

Since you were a used car MGR at one point, how much less would you put on a car that didn't have the sticker?
Prob 500...entusiasts are buying used c7’s. And will ask for it....they want to see the match. I think the dealers is bs'ing too, he just wants an easier way to go when it goes on the lot.

Last edited by Glen e; 10-23-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I am most likely just going to trade it with the black wheels on it and then buy a set of chromes. The '15 is equipped the way I would order it regardless except for the wheels so if the dealer won't swap it's not any heartburn.

The weird thing is I offered them to take a grand off my trade value to let me swap them given that there is a $1500 difference in NEW Chromes vs Black ($1995 vs $495). I think I'm pretty sure I can pick up a nice set of factory Chromes for $1000 at some point so I'm ok with it.

I still think the dealer is just BS'ing but hey, no worries.

Quick Reply: Trading wheels from '14 to '15 - dealer says GM doesn't allow?