Sponsored by:

Depreciation now that 2015's are out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:01 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by ebbiv
The problem is the Z51 uses an oil tank, so the oil is held in the tank instead of an oil pan as used on the base car. The vent line from the tank is routed into the air intake tract, and under hard acceleration the vacuum created causes the vent line to burp oil into the air intake. The base car doesnt have this problem as there is no oil tank, and therefore no vent line. They did this with the Z51 for emmissions reasons, in an off road car, or race car per say, the vent is routed to a canister to catch any oil, and prevent its entry into the air induction tract.

I could easily buy one and solve the problem, but why should I have to spend money on aftermarket non emmissions certified parts on a 70K car. I cant wait to see how the new ZO6 fairs, as it uses a basically beefed up version of the same motor. Add a supercharger and boost to the equation, and you'll see a real mess occur.
Crank out of spec. How was that determined?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 PM
ebbiv
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Answer to your Question

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Crank out of spec. How was that determined?
End play is the distance from crankshaft end to the thrust flank of Number One bearing. it is generally measure with a dial meter and is measured in thousands of an inch. The correct specs for the C7 LT1 are between 0.0015 to 0.008 If its out of that range there will be too much crank movement fore and aft which in turn destroys the thrust bearing and creates metal shavings which in turn will circulate through the entire oil system of the motor, and thus destroy all the bearings, ultimatley causing its destruction. Typical scenario for excessive play is excessive stress on connecting rods, and piston wrist pins, ultimately causing a wrist pin failure, or even worse a rod grenading right through the side of the block.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I love my C7. I have 9000 miles on it now. Do not care about depreciation I bought it to use it, that is just the cost of driving / owning any car.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:53 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

REALLY?
Yup, really! That is what I had to tell another poster in this thread who thought a 5 year old Grand Sport might be about the same price as a stripped down 2014 C7 1LT.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 10-25-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:05 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
I'd have to disagree. A loaded low miles 2010 is not worth near the same as a stripped low miles used 2014 1LT C7.

KBB on a loaded 2010 GS Coupe with low miles is $37k+/-
KBB on a stripped 2014 1LT Coupe with low miles is $53k-+/-

KBB is probably a bit high on both, and they don't always factor true supply/demand accurately.

There may be a few 2010's "for sale" with an asking price near the price of a C7, but they won't sell for that.
Ha ha the on grand sports going for under 40k...Those will have 50 to 80k miles and are rough. The average for decent Grand Sports is 46k asking. So knock off 3 k for actual sale price and they still bring 43.

I know you find it hard to believe KBB is in error but stripper 14 c7's are not bringing 53k any longer either.

Glad yours is trouble free though.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:22 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Ha ha the on grand sports going for under 40k...Those will have 50 to 80k miles and are rough. The average for decent Grand Sports is 46k asking. So knock off 3 k for actual sale price and they still bring 43.

I know you find it hard to believe KBB is in error but stripper 14 c7's are not bringing 53k any longer either.

Glad yours is trouble free though.
What a shock, another C6 owner that thinks the C6 is worth more than it really is. A 2010 GS for $43k?

You did read the part where I said KBB was high on the 2014 value as well, right?

Would you like monthly or quarterly updates on my trouble-free C7? You know, just to keep you feeling "glad". Maybe we can get all the 2014 C7 owners with no issues to keep you updated.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 10-25-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:34 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

What a shock, another C6 owner that thinks the C6 is worth more than it really is. A 2010 GS for $43k?

You did read the part where I said KBB was high on the 2014 value as well, right?

Would you like monthly or quarterly updates on my trouble-free C7? You know, just to keep you feeling "glad".
Actually the prices I used came from cars for sale across the nation....and as for your Vette...You're the one who keeps trying to convince everyone else its problem free...

You implied all 2010 Grand Sports were selling for 37k was the laugher... Just poppycock conjecture. Well except for those high milers...
Old 10-25-2014, 12:41 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

I can't really comment on Depreciation, but based on the C7 For Sale Thread on this Forum, a lot of people with Z06 Fever are giving their C7's away IMHO.

Of course, when Chevy expanded Supplier / Credit Union Pricing to the 2014 C7 less than six months after it was released, the writing was on the wall for the early Buyers.

For many here, it's obvious that losing that much money on their 2014 isn't an issue.
If you are a Buyer right now, it looks like you can score a nice well equipped 2014 here for a great Price.

I will feel the pain when I decide to sell my 2014 C7, but hey, timing is everything. Bad for me, good for the guy that decides to buy my Car. In fact, it looks like I'll be putting it up for Sale in a week or two. Time to start figuring out how much to ask for it, hmmm...

Back to your question. I think you will find some Non Z51 C7's in the mid 40's very soon. There may even be some higher Mileage Z51's selling that low. Just my $.02...
Old 10-25-2014, 09:08 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

End play is the distance from crankshaft end to the thrust flank of Number One bearing. it is generally measure with a dial meter and is measured in thousands of an inch. The correct specs for the C7 LT1 are between 0.0015 to 0.008 If its out of that range there will be too much crank movement fore and aft which in turn destroys the thrust bearing and creates metal shavings which in turn will circulate through the entire oil system of the motor, and thus destroy all the bearings, ultimatley causing its destruction. Typical scenario for excessive play is excessive stress on connecting rods, and piston wrist pins, ultimately causing a wrist pin failure, or even worse a rod grenading right through the side of the block.
OK,Now that is 2 questions you haven't answered.A lot of good info.
I'm just trying to determine if your blowing smoke or someone is telling you crap.I was a automotive mechanist for about 15 yrs.,but back in the day.Specs are specs.Here are the questions:
#1:So your saying the construction of the main bearing caps are part of the Sump system of the z51 (pan construction)
#2:Crank out of spec.How was that determined.
This is off topic.Well kind of......
Old 10-25-2014, 09:21 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Yup, really! That is what I had to tell another poster in this thread who thought a 5 year old Grand Sport might be about the same price as a stripped down 2014 C7 1LT.
Funny or COME ON MAN?? People ask,want and actual money exchange are 3 different things.If i knew the C7 wasn't going to depreciate as quickly as the C6.I would order one.
Corvettes past 2 series have dropped to fast for my hardworking hrs. to generate 70k.I'm lurking
Old 10-25-2014, 11:58 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Actually the prices I used came from cars for sale across the nation....and as for your Vette...You're the one who keeps trying to convince everyone else its problem free...

You implied all 2010 Grand Sports were selling for 37k was the laugher... Just poppycock conjecture. Well except for those high milers...
Definitely a lot of bloated "asking prices" for C6s across the nation.

Lots of GSs for sale. Not a sellers market.

If you are looking for people to buy in on the inflated C6 pricing theories you are best to mingle with the other C6 owners on the C6 forum.

Nope. The specific topic was 2010 Loaded GS vs 2014 Stripped 1LT.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Funny or COME ON MAN?? People ask,want and actual money exchange are 3 different things.If i knew the C7 wasn't going to depreciate as quickly as the C6.I would order one.
Corvettes past 2 series have dropped to fast for my hardworking hrs. to generate 70k.I'm lurking
Asking, wanting and sales price are all different. Absolutely. You should be telling that to the C6 owner here that can't comprehend that, not me.

Cars depreciate. If the Corvette depreciates to fast "for you", then perhaps you should stop lurking and consider another sports car. Maybe a Viper.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 10-25-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:21 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Ok, here's what Suzy Orman will tell you...you have no business even thinking about a Corvette right now...pay down your debt first.

Ok, here's what I say: go for a C5, forget the C7 for now. You will have the 'corvette experience' with very little affect on your finances. Remember, the C5 is just about at the asymptotic bottom of its depreciation...10-15,000 bucks for a nice one. Later on, get the latest and greatest. There are no other common American vehicles that are 20 years old in design that still sell for a third of their initial retail.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:48 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Asking, wanting and sales price are all different. Absolutely. You should be telling that to the C6 owner here that can't comprehend that, not me.

Cars depreciate. If the Corvette depreciates to fast "for you", then perhaps you should stop lurking and consider another sports car. Maybe a Viper.
Ohh your expertise tells me not to lurk and learn what is gonna happen to price ranges.I should just buy it and be pissed in 4 yrs. it cost me 20 grand to "Have a new CORVETTE" or maybe it won't.I'm very HAPPY with the DEPRECIATION.I want one and can LURK not LUNGE
Sounds like a nerve was twitching.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:13 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Ohh your expertise tells me not to lurk and learn what is gonna happen to price ranges.I should just buy it and be pissed in 4 yrs. it cost me 20 grand to "Have a new CORVETTE" or maybe it won't.I'm very HAPPY with the DEPRECIATION.I want one and can LURK not LUNGE
Sounds like a nerve was twitching.
Your logic is all over the board, you're slightly irritating to a few, but not because you can actually be taken seriously. Is there a nerve for that? Oh, ...and you're veering way off topic.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 10-25-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:39 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Just do an Internet search for crankshaft end play issues, and Z51 oil ingestion problems, well as engine vibration at idle, and The list go's on. I currently own 14 Z51 that's been out of service for 25 days now. problems documented by factory with no solutions. If you own a z51 it will suffer the same problems. Just look up car and driver article with their long term test car eating a motor at 6000 miles. This is the 8th vette I've owned over the years and sadly the worst. If you don't use your car as a daily driver you may not see these problems , but for the daily driver the new LT1 is without doubt the worst small block Chevy to date. I wish you luck with yours, and for those thinking buying one you may want to research my problems list before dropping 70k.
I totally disagree...where is the proof? you cannot make a statement like that globally about Z51's or any other model...there has been some issues but very small percent lets not get blown out of proportion. We are sorry for your issues but I have 14K on my 14 not an issue in the world (knock on wood) I hope they get you take care of I had GM buy back a 2013 caddie ATS that was in the shop for half that time
Old 10-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Farcast
8th Gear

Patience. I have a feeling they will tank a bit after the Z06 and Hellcat Challenger/Charger and hit the streets. Wouldn't touch a new Stingray regardless of the credit union discount if you can hold out for another year or so as the used begin to really depreciate.

Get notified of new replies

To Depreciation now that 2015's are out?

Old 10-25-2014, 06:44 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Your logic is all over the board, you're slightly irritating to a few, but not because you can actually be taken seriously. Is there a nerve for that? Oh, ...and you're veering way off topic.
OK Lets stay off topic and continue with the TROLL.Think i care if i irritate you or a few....I'm here to help and render my opinion as do you.Just stroll on dude and enjoy the forum.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 PM
LukeAnakin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
The 2014's will go down in price as almost all used cars do. Guessing $40-45 now is fine. The price will be whatever the going rate is two or three years from now. What counts is that you are happy with your purchase at whatever price you pay.
Very well stated and wholeheartedly agree.

LA
Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

OK Lets stay off topic and continue with the TROLL.Think i care if i irritate you or a few....I'm here to help and render my opinion as do you.Just stroll on dude and enjoy the forum.
Allllrighty then.... you decide whether to continue trolling or to help the OP and let us know once you sober up and can string 3 logical sentences together.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 10-25-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Depreciation now that 2015's are out?