Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:51 PM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Left Rear Tire Mounted Inside Out At Factory

Just a reminder, VIN 00022 was rear-ended at the end of September. Looks like I should get it back tomorrow, I hope.

I stopped at the shop on Monday to check the progress and the person putting the C7 together asked me if I had put after-market rims on the car. When I responded, NO, he asked me to look at the left rear tire that was lying on the floor.

When he picked the tire up and showed me the inside of the rim, he then asked me to read something stamped on the tire. It read:

OUTSIDE

The tire was mounted backwards at the factory. Remember, those of us who were in the very early runs had our Vettes held for weeks in Bowling Green and Nashville for "quality control" issues.

I guess they forgot to check the tires

Anyone else had this happen? Maybe everyone should check their tires and make sure the word OUTSIDE is clearly readable
Old 10-23-2014, 01:00 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by schilitj
Just a reminder, VIN 00022 was rear-ended at the end of September. Looks like I should get it back tomorrow, I hope.

I stopped at the shop on Monday to check the progress and the person putting the C7 together asked me if I had put after-market rims on the car. When I responded, NO, he asked me to look at the left rear tire that was lying on the floor.

When he picked the tire up and showed me the inside of the rim, he then asked me to read something stamped on the tire. It read:

OUTSIDE

The tire was mounted backwards at the factory. Remember, those of us who were in the very early runs had our Vettes held for weeks in Bowling Green and Nashville for "quality control" issues.

I guess they forgot to check the tires

Anyone else had this happen? Maybe everyone should check their tires and make sure the word OUTSIDE is clearly readable

I guess with 38K+ C7s being moved out the door at BG, QC would have to suffer a bit. Its good that the body guy noticed it.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 PM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 89L98
I guess with 38K+ C7s being moved out the door at BG, QC would have to suffer a bit. Its good that the body guy noticed it.
I agree, but when the VIN is 00022v and the car was held back from delivery on the basis of quality control, something's amiss.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Can you say " DYSLEXIC".
Old 10-23-2014, 04:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Not 100% sure with the C7's but with the C5's and C6's, a Firestone tire dealer had the contract to mount the tires to the wheels in his shop. He received the wheels from the supplier and the tires from Goodyear, mounted and balanced them and then shipped them to GM at Bowling Green. Generally, now days, a supplier is responsible to make sure the parts they supply are to specifications, and the receiving company does not do any QC inspection of incoming parts.

As for any subsequent QC checks made after the car is completed and got through the normal QC checks on the assembly line etc., they don't do a 100% check on every component on the car, just the part in question.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
can you say " dyslexic".
lex dyslec

Get notified of new replies

To Left Rear Tire Mounted Inside Out At Factory

Quick Reply: Left Rear Tire Mounted Inside Out At Factory