Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pitfalls of Credit Union discount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 AM
taxman73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is also such a thing as an executive discount...
Old 10-24-2014, 08:03 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts
Default that was good news

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Easiest deal I've ever made. Went on the website and got my authorization number. My local CU was on the list so $10.00 later I was again a member. I checked with my local Vette vendors who declined to participate so an email to Dave @ Kerbeck and I was setup for a museum delivery in minutes.
that kerbeck participate, i was there just this week( vacation week) he had 120 cars but none jumped out to me. ( i have a 14 non-z51 auto white/red 3lt vert) ron checked and next month a red/red z51 2lt vert auto will be there. truth be told, his discounts now are very close to CU discount anyway.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:27 AM
5821driver
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

How can there be a 'pitfall' with saving money? It's a no brainer when you're spending 70 grand and saving 7k. Here in Florida Dealers won;'t give you a dime off sticker, I know, I tried. Finally found Rick Conti from Coughlin Chevy in OH that GLADLY gave me the GMCU discount. I ordered my car on Sept 9 and will take delivery on Nov 3rd at NCM. The BEST car buying experience I ever had. No BS and everything Rick said was honest and true. He didn't even ask me for a deposit!! How many Dealers will do that? Call him and tell him I sent you.

My new baby...........
Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 AM
umatac1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Any dealers in California accepting the CU discount?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Paul R
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Like everyone has said finding a dealer that takes the GM Supplier / Employee discount is the hard part. There are no dealers in the State of Florida that excepts it, I know I tried. What I did find out is dealers in towns with a lot of GM employees (GM Plants/GM Headquarters) almost have to accept the discount because so much of their client base will be eligible. Most dealers that do not have a strong GM employee base will not accept the GM discount. Rodgers Chevrolet just outside of Detroit handles the sales for most of the GM executives even though they are a little known dealership. Les Stanford is the only big name dealer on this forum that I know of that accepts the supplier discount. Good luck with your new car.
Untrue...I am ordering my '15 from Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City. They are honoring the CU discount.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:15 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul R
Untrue...I am ordering my '15 from Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City. They are honoring the CU discount.
Also, for $6-7K you can buy a one way plane ticket and a lot of gas and hotel rooms for your trip back to wherever you live from the forum dealer. Or you could buy from a forum dealer with the discount, get the Museum delivery if you wish, drive home from Bowling Green, and you'll still have thousands of dollars of savings.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:58 PM
c7steve
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 157 Posts

can the CU discount be combined with gm card earnings ?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Knobbie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Related to discounts, USAA sent out an email with something like $750 off the purchase of a new vehicle and the 2015 Stingray shows on the list. I'd just ordered one and called my dealer. He basically said nobody honors the USAA discount and it shouldn't be on their website.

My dealer is a forum dealer and I trust him on this. The bad side is that because I inquired on USAA's website, I immediately got 15 emails and 10 phone calls from every Chevy dealer within a 80 mile radius.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Knobbie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No need. Courtesy delivery for $200. Some do it for free.

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Also, for $6-7K you can buy a one way plane ticket and a lot of gas and hotel rooms for your trip back to wherever you live from the forum dealer. Or you could buy from a forum dealer with the discount, get the Museum delivery if you wish, drive home from Bowling Green, and you'll still have thousands of dollars of savings.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:12 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c7steve
can the CU discount be combined with gm card earnings ?
The business and old "blue" card: yes. Accrues at 5%

The extended family card: yes. Accrues at 1%

The rest (which accrue at 5%): no.

Laborsmith
Old 10-24-2014, 01:46 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul R
Ditto I think. My father, (who is on here as well) just ordered from them with supplier pricing. Originally I think they were not doing the discounts, but they changed their mind recently.

Not totally sure about this, but I think one of the differences between supplier and CU is with supplier the dealer doc fees are capped at $75, where CU can be whatever the dealer normally charges.... like $495 at a Hendrick dealer for example.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:23 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
One more time, and your dealer or the above mentioned website will confirm, it is Invoice price plus $200. It is not $6000 off. Depending on the car it may be less, probably more. All you need to do is get a authorization number off the website and give it to your dealer.
You are not well informed.I got over $5,000 gm supplier discount cause
I belonged to A credit union.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 PM
sactruck
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the educator discount to get supplier pricing in September. Most local dealers would not accept supplier pricing, but a dealer 1.5 hours from me did accept it on an in stock Corvette they had. I saved $5700 off of sticker price and was able to also use my GM points..
Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by savage
Pitfalls of Credit Union discount?
None really. The only people who are not taking advantage of the CU discount would be:

1) People who do not realize it exist
2) People who shop a dealer who will not honor it
3) People who prefer to brag that they paid cash for their car
4) People who are to stubborn to use an approved CU.. instead of their own bank
5) People who think they can negotiate a better deal on their own

In almost any example I can think of. As long as the vehicle qualifies for the CU discount, then it is quite simply the cheapest price to be found on the car. The CU discount can be as much as $7,000 on a new Stingray. Even if you are paying cash, you would be wise to find a CU that will finance the vehicle and simply let you pay off the loan early. That way you can still get the CU discount.. without the liability of being stuck to a long term loan.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:25 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
None really. The only people who are not taking advantage of the CU discount would be:

In almost any example I can think of. As long as the vehicle qualifies for the CU discount, then it is quite simply the cheapest price to be found on the car. The CU discount can be as much as $7,000 on a new Stingray. Even if you are paying cash, you would be wise to find a CU that will finance the vehicle and simply let you pay off the loan early. That way you can still get the CU discount.. without the liability of being stuck to a long term loan.
Good explanation
Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,072 Likes on 6,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06

3 and 4 are not relevant. To get CU Discount, you only have to be a member of an eligible Credit Union. You DO NOT have to get a loan from said Credit Union.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,072 Likes on 6,171 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
One more time, and your dealer or the above mentioned website will confirm, it is Invoice price plus $200. It is not $6000 off. Depending on the car it may be less, probably more. All you need to do is get a authorization number off the website and give it to your dealer.
Originally Posted by thrilled
You are not well informed.I got over $5,000 gm supplier discount cause
I belonged to A credit union.

Sorry, but you are not reading fdxpilot's response correctly. He stated that the CU Discount is not a fixed $6000 off, but rather Invoice plus $200. The higher the MSRP, the larger the discount will be. He even states that "depending on the car it may be less, probably more".

Nothing in your post contradicts what fdxpilot stated.

Get notified of new replies

To Pitfalls of Credit Union discount?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:38 PM
JCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
Good explanation
Except for one thing. You do NOT need to take a loan with the CU in order to get the GMCU pricing.

<edit> Beat me to the post Zymurgy!!

Jeff
Old 10-24-2014, 06:53 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Sorry, but you are not reading fdxpilot's response correctly. He stated that the CU Discount is not a fixed $6000 off, but rather Invoice plus $200. The higher the MSRP, the larger the discount will be. He even states that "depending on the car it may be less, probably more".

Nothing in your post contradicts what fdxpilot stated.
Thank you.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:33 PM
barryh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by umatac1
Any dealers in California accepting the CU discount?
Aaaaahahahahhaha!
But seriously if you find one let me know.

Quick Reply: Pitfalls of Credit Union discount?