Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pitfalls of Credit Union discount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:13 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Pitfalls of Credit Union discount?

i would like to know how this works, i talked to a dealer today and he asked if i was a credit union member( i will be in the morning, i found one that takes everyone and is GM approved) he told me that the discount could be as much as $7,000, why does not everyone do this? what dont i know?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Not sure, but I am curious why just being a credit union member would make one eligible for a big discount? There's got to be more to it.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

its 6K off for CU Discount. My local dealer doesn't allow it. It is a GM policy that is up to the dealer to use if they want.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:32 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Historically, accepting employee and/or other discounts for the Corvette line was up to the individual dealer.

To answer what I believe the OP asked, extending the supplier discount to willing to participate credit unions came into being as a way to help keep the US auto industry viable. I am pretty sure Ford was also a participant but currently is not. I think the CU (I Love My Credit Union) program dates back to 2009 or maybe 2008. Since its inception a variety of other companies have joined the program, such as DELL.

Laborsmith
Old 10-23-2014, 05:37 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by savage
i would like to know how this works, i talked to a dealer today and he asked if i was a credit union member( i will be in the morning, i found one that takes everyone and is GM approved) he told me that the discount could be as much as $7,000, why does not everyone do this? what dont i know?
credit union pricing is the same as supplier pricing which is invoice + $200, so the discount varies, depending on sticker price. It's not a straight percentage or amount off.

And as mentioned, whether the dealer accepts it is optional. If your dealer will accept it, go for it. The dealer will still make some money on the deal, but not nearly as much as a straight MSRP deal, much less those greedy operations asking for a premium above sticker.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 PM
silky1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Go to gmfamilyfirst.com and get yourself a GMS number once you join a CU. You give that plus a copy of a statement to your dealer and you are good to go. Your dealer excepting the CU discount is the major hurdle. I had to order from Les Stanford in Michigan as they where the only top dealer excepting it at the time.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:43 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Default you said your cu discount is

Originally Posted by Thompyt
its 6K off for CU Discount. My local dealer doesn't allow it. It is a GM policy that is up to the dealer to use if they want.
$6,000, should i be shopping cu's also? to see what one has biggest discount?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:47 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

One more time, and your dealer or the above mentioned website will confirm, it is Invoice price plus $200. It is not $6000 off. Depending on the car it may be less, probably more. All you need to do is get a authorization number off the website and give it to your dealer.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
credit union pricing is the same as supplier pricing which is invoice + $200, so the discount varies, depending on sticker price. It's not a straight percentage or amount off.

And as mentioned, whether the dealer accepts it is optional. If your dealer will accept it, go for it. The dealer will still make some money on the deal, but not nearly as much as a straight MSRP deal, much less those greedy operations asking for a premium above sticker.
^^^ This is the straight scoop. ^^^

The amount of the discount is the same regardless of which eligible credit union you belong to. It's not the credit union that provides the discount, it's GM. The credit union doesn't get involved in the transaction one single bit unless you choose to finance through it but even that is not required.

Once you join an eligible credit union, just go to this web site and obtain your authorization number: https://www.mygmdiscount.com/

Then find a dealer that's willing to honor credit union / supplier pricing (they're both the same) and buy / order your car. As Michael (fdxpilot) already said, you'll pay dealer invoice + $200 + taxes and DMV fees. On a car with an MSRP of $70,000 it will save you roughly $6500-$6800.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Default thank you

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
One more time, and your dealer or the above mentioned website will confirm, it is Invoice price plus $200. It is not $6000 off. Depending on the car it may be less, probably more. All you need to do is get a authorization number off the website and give it to your dealer.
i have a 14 vert now, if this works that fancy( go pro) is mine that comes with the 2015 navigation.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Thompyt
its 6K off for CU Discount.
No, it's not. Supplier and credit union pricing is dealer invoice + $200.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

There are also other ways to get the same discount. I was surprised to find my old employer on this list of eligible companies:

https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/company-eligibility

Supplier discount does not include Z/28 and Spark EV (Caddy is good)

You can also get the same discount if you are military eligible:

https://www.gmmilitarydiscount.com/

The whole program is explained on the sites. Dealer participation is optional. Military will discount all but Z/28, Spark EV and entire Cadillac line. Go figure. Guess they don't want our vets looking to spiffy in a Caddy! lol
Old 10-23-2014, 08:37 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

Like everyone has said finding a dealer that takes the GM Supplier / Employee discount is the hard part. There are no dealers in the State of Florida that excepts it, I know I tried. What I did find out is dealers in towns with a lot of GM employees (GM Plants/GM Headquarters) almost have to accept the discount because so much of their client base will be eligible. Most dealers that do not have a strong GM employee base will not accept the GM discount. Rodgers Chevrolet just outside of Detroit handles the sales for most of the GM executives even though they are a little known dealership. Les Stanford is the only big name dealer on this forum that I know of that accepts the supplier discount. Good luck with your new car.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:12 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Like everyone has said finding a dealer that takes the GM Supplier / Employee discount is the hard part. There are no dealers in the State of Florida that excepts it, I know I tried. What I did find out is dealers in towns with a lot of GM employees (GM Plants/GM Headquarters) almost have to accept the discount because so much of their client base will be eligible. Most dealers that do not have a strong GM employee base will not accept the GM discount. Rodgers Chevrolet just outside of Detroit handles the sales for most of the GM executives even though they are a little known dealership. Les Stanford is the only big name dealer on this forum that I know of that accepts the supplier discount. Good luck with your new car.
There are other forum dlrs that do supplier.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Easiest deal I've ever made. Went on the website and got my authorization number. My local CU was on the list so $10.00 later I was again a member. I checked with my local Vette vendors who declined to participate so an email to Dave @ Kerbeck and I was setup for a museum delivery in minutes.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

A point to remember is that just like any negotiation, timing will change a dealers willingness to accept, or reject supplier, or credit union discounts.

They may not accept it today, but near the end of the month, when they need more units moved, they may go for it.

Todays "NO" could be tomorrows "YES."

Another thing to consider is that car buying is a negotiation. Walking up, and asking if they accept supplier discount may very well get you a "NO" response. They always want to start from MSRP.

Ed
Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

It's about a 9% discount on both Credit Union and Supplier pricing.

Get notified of new replies

To Pitfalls of Credit Union discount?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Pitfalls of CU discount are:
1. Can't use GM credit card points unless you have an older card.
2. Must sign a form that says you will take any unresolved issues with the car to arbitration.

Someone correct me if I don't have this right. It is what I remember.
Aside from that, it is a great program if you can find a dealer willing to honor it.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:41 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Educators also qualify for the same discount.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

The big "pitfall" is that you don't pay list price. All else is a detail.

Quick Reply: Pitfalls of Credit Union discount?