Sponsored by:

Gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 08:41 AM
xmarine99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas gauge

On a trip and just lost gas gauge 5000miles on new vette.The gauge is working in reverse.Anyone had this happen before?Was it fixed at dealer?What was the problem?
Old 10-25-2014, 01:50 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Why the heck would it work in reverse? Wild!

Did it straighten itself out after a restart?
Old 10-25-2014, 01:59 PM
whoie15
Advanced

Originally Posted by xmarine99
On a trip and just lost gas gauge 5000miles on new vette.The gauge is working in reverse.Anyone had this happen before?Was it fixed at dealer?What was the problem?
When you say, "working in reverse" meaning, you have a full tank but its at ZERO (empty) right? first, check your digital gas "fuel gauge" in front of your steering wheel. IF it doesnt say a number and all it says is "----' then unfortunately, I regret to tell you this is a big problem.... This means, your fuel sending unit is defective... theres a fix but its a temporary fix... You can go get a techron bottle and pour it along with your gas and drive your car for a while and it will fix it. Unfortunately... once you fill the gas again, you might run into the same problem (unless youre the fortunate one)...

You wont have a check engine light on YET but you will if this does not fix... it takes some time to turn on.. My suggestion, take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it. They will most likely just reset your car and it will work again, but thats just a temp. fix.... After 30 minutes of driving you will encounter this again and your check engine light should turn on.

With that being said, once or IF the check engine turns on... You will have to give your car to the dealer and let them order a new fuel sending unit and have it fixed. Unfortunately again, the process takes 1.5 weeks, you will be corvetteless. I just went through this problem roughly 2 weeks ago.. =T

I could be wrong but expect the worse...
Old 10-25-2014, 02:16 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This problem has been around since the C5. Sulfur deposits on the sending unit. Many of us have permanently solved it with Techron in the tank periodically. Be patient. It may take many miles of driving to clean the sender. Just set your trip odometer and fill up every 200 miles and you won't run out.

Of course you might have a bad sender but sulfur deposits is more likely, from past history. Of course if this does not work, u r screwed and will need to have your tank dropped. Big job. Frankly it is no problem filling up every 200 miles for a while to be sure. Actually when I did this with my C5 I found that I did not miss my gauge much.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:21 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by bluvette2000
This problem has been around since the C5. Sulfur deposits on the sending unit. Many of us have permanently solved it with Techron in the tank periodically. Be patient. It may take many miles of driving to clean the sender. Just set your trip odometer and fill up every 200 miles and you won't run out.

Of course you might have a bad sender but sulfur deposits is more likely, from past history. Of course if this does not work, u r screwed and will need to have your tank dropped. Big job. Frankly it is no problem filling up every 200 miles for a while to be sure. Actually when I did this with my C5 I found that I did not miss my gauge much.
Unless the car has been running on anything other than first tier gas, I seriously doubt there's been (enough) sulfur buildup to be a problem.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:28 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

You might try pulling fuse #51, as reported in this thread.

Originally Posted by Woodson
Searched and got zero hits.

I had my analogue speedo go wonky on me the other night showing about 290 km/h when the digital showed correctly 34. See thread here

Today they all crapped out; no fuel etc.

For anyone searching in the future, here is what to do: pull fuse #51 (under the hood), wait a minute and replace. Problem solved. For now. Crosses fingers...
Old 10-25-2014, 02:34 PM
bluvette2000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The techron trial for a couple of weeks is cheap and easy. If u try it let us know the results.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:56 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I had this happen on my 2005 Bonneville !!! So it is the sending unit or fuel gauge and eventually they had to replace both !!! Wayne
Old 10-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

xmarine99,

Sorry that your gas gauge isn't functioning properly. I understand the displeasure when dealing with a matter like this. Although you're seeking opinions from others, I'd be happy to communicate your concerns with the Customer Experience Managers (CEM) at your GM dealer of choice. Please know that you're welcome to message us privately if you would like to discuss this further, or if you simply want this matter documented.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 AM
conadslv
Advanced

yup...same thing happened to me! I hope I'm wrong, but you'll prob end up having to take it in to the dealership and get the sensor changed which means you'll prob be without your vette for 1.5-2 weeks like whoie15 said. The sooner you get it in the sooner you get your car back. good luck!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:56 PM
xmarine99
Advanced

Took to dealer today.They flashed the puter and all is well!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Unless the car has been running on anything other than first tier gas, I seriously doubt there's been (enough) sulfur buildup to be a problem.
Knew I was right
Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

xmarine99,

Thanks for your update! It's great to hear that the dealer addressed your concerns and now service is complete. Please let us know how the vehicle operates moving forward and don't hesitate to message us if any additional questions or concerns arise.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To Gas gauge

Quick Reply: Gas gauge