Love My 7 Speed Standard Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Default Love My 7 Speed Standard Transmission

A person who lives a mile down our road stopped while walking her dog when I was washing the C7. She is the head of radiology at our local hospital. Found out she has had more Vettes than I, just not one recently. She said every time I pass by with the C7 she thinks of getting another. Her first was a 1976 and she has had about 6 others, all standard transmissions. She said she would have nothing but a standard shift! She asked what features I like best and knowing she would get a std trans I mentioned Rev Matching. It is one of my favorite features. I have always had standard transmissions in my Vettes (other cars and trucks as well) and have used heel toe when downshifting. As I said to her, I was fairly good at higher rpm’s but at lower speed partial throttle it is not as easy to do well. The Vette does it well! She asked about the 1 to 4 skip shift and said she hated it! I told her it was somewhat better in the C7 but for $30 I have always installed a CAGS eliminator. In fact now that some folks text while driving (not smart but some folks are like Pavlov’s Dogs and when the phone signals are “obligated” to answer) it is a safety issue in my opinion! If in bumper to bumper traffic and you take off but shift early, the person behind you isn’t expecting you to fumble and slow abruptly when you try to shift to 2nd and can’t! Their phone signals like Pavolv’s bell, they look down and hit your rear!
I also said the shift to 6th from 7th or from 5th is easy once you learn to trust the Reverse Lockout- just shift as if going to Reverse! Also for those who think a 4 speed was good enough, with 7 speeds you don’t row thru the gears! You pick the overdrive (5th, 6th, or 7th) depending on the top speed you’re going to reach and shift to it. I use 7th only on the 70 mph speed limit highway between town and my home. Then when going to the off-ramp downshift to 3rd. Rev match makes it a smooth shift-sounds good too! Suggest those just getting used to the 7 speed learn to use it like a TV remote, select the gear you want don’t think of rowing thru the gears!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-25-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I hope you also mentioned the new parking brake that engages with the flip of a switch and releases automatically when you start moving!
Old 10-25-2014, 09:17 AM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been happy with my M7. My only complaint is sometimes I can't find 5th fast enough for some reason. Might try the aftermarket shifter route.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
A person who lives a mile down our road stopped while walking her dog when I was washing the C7. She is the head of radiology at our local hospital. Found out she has had more Vettes than I, just not one recently. She said every time I pass by with the C7 she thinks of getting another. Her first was a 1976 and she has had about 6 others, all standard transmissions. She said she would have nothing but a standard shift! She asked what features I like best and knowing she would get a std trans I mentioned Rev Matching. It is one of my favorite features. I have always had standard transmissions in my Vettes (other cars and trucks as well) and have used heel toe when downshifting. As I said to her, I was fairly good at higher rpm’s but at lower speed partial throttle it is not as easy to do well. The Vette does it well! She asked about the 1 to 4 skip shift and said she hated it! I told her it was somewhat better in the C7 but for $30 I have always installed a CAGS eliminator. In fact now that some folks text while driving (not smart but some folks are like Pavlov’s Dogs and when the phone signals are “obligated” to answer) it is a safety issue in my opinion! If in bumper to bumper traffic and you take off but shift early, the person behind you isn’t expecting you to fumble and slow abruptly when you try to shift to 2nd and can’t! Their phone signals like Pavolv’s bell, they look down and hit your rear!
I also said the shift to 6th from 7th or from 5th is easy once you learn to trust the Reverse Lockout- just shift as if going to Reverse! Also for those who think a 4 speed was good enough, with 7 speeds you don’t row thru the gears! You pick the overdrive (5th, 6th, or 7th) depending on the top speed you’re going to reach and shift to it. I use 7th only on the 70 mph speed limit highway between town and my home. Then when going to the off-ramp downshift to 3rd. Rev match makes it a smooth shift-sounds good too! Suggest those just getting used to the 7 speed learn to use it like a TV remote, select the gear you want don’t think of rowing thru the gears!
I drive A little different.I never feel the skip shift.I don't shift early.
The rev matching feature I believe is highly overrated.I hardly ever
Use it.As far as the gears,I paid for 7 ,I use 7 if the speed allows it.
I never skip gears.I also do the same when downshifting.I'm an
Ole school gear shifter.I wouldn't have bought the C7 if it hadn't
Had 7 speeds.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RottenII
I've been happy with my M7. My only complaint is sometimes I can't find 5th fast enough for some reason. Might try the aftermarket shifter route.
The aftermarket shifters are probably a good addition. I found this cue ball shift **** does help the side to side shifting and it also shortens the shift stroke about 11%. Details of the install (easy after you get the chrome ring off) are on a PDF I made: http://netwelding.com/Shift_Knob.pdf

Cue Ball Size ****, Shortens Stroke ~11%
Old 10-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Haven't tried out the M7 yet - have only driven an A6. Will have to drive one some time.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:43 AM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The aftermarket shifters are probably a good addition. I found this cue ball shift **** does help the side to side shifting and it also shortens the shift stroke about 11%. Details of the install (easy after you get the chrome ring off) are on a PDF I made: http://netwelding.com/Shift_Knob.pdf

Cue Ball Size ****, Shortens Stroke ~11%
On my Christmas to "ME" list.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:43 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Like the review
Old 10-25-2014, 12:17 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Nice review, but I still like rowing through the gears. The 1-4 skip shift never bothered me on my C6 just give it a bit more gas and you are good. I do not anticipate it being any different when I finally take delivery of my C7.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:20 PM
pwj155
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I love mine too. it's finally "broken in" so I've been able to nail it, this thing is a rocket ship!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:51 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvilin
Nice review, but I still like rowing through the gears. The 1-4 skip shift never bothered me on my C6 just give it a bit more gas and you are good. I do not anticipate it being any different when I finally take delivery of my C7.
This is my 4th, “7 speed” but the other 3 were a bit different so seldom used all 7! The 1st was a Dodge Colt and the 2nd a Dodge Colt turbo. They had 4 speeds with a 2 speed overdrive that could be energized in all 4 gears. Two levers and you split shifted! Two of the ratios were the same so only 7 not 8 speeds. My 3rd was in my ’87 Vette, so the C7 Vette was not the first! It came with a Doug Nash overdrive behind a 4 speed. It was activated electrically by a button on the shifter. Could not use it in 1st but could in 2nd, 3rd and 4th making it 6 + 1st for 7 speeds.
With the C7, 5th, 6th and 7th are all overdrives. If you get to 4th by rowing thru the gears then you’ll want to pick the overdrive you will use for the max speed you plan. In my rural roads with a 55 mph speed limit that is normally about 60 mph so 6th if a long trip with few stops or 5th if more local. I reserve 7th typically for a major highway and will often use 3rd in the onramp (@ 3700 rpm you're at 60 mph) and go directly to 7th. The same in leaving, 7th directly to 3rd for the offramp. The C7 has a lot of torque from 2000 rpm up. When making a turn from a 60 mph road will downshift from 6th directly to 3rd, why go the 5th, then 4th when you need 3rd after the turn. Use "Rev Match" and it makes a smooth downshift. To each his own but that is what I find works for me.
The issue with skip shift is not you as much as it is some folks today, texting while driving. Perfect time is in bumper to bumper traffic since they are stopped occasionally. What I describe in my OP happened to me! We have little heavy traffic so had never experienced skip shift. I accelerated in 1st and tried to shift to 2nd and was fumbling until I realized what was happening! Had the person behind me been answering a text they could well have hit me! I have had a number folks texting around me including a young person who had their hands holding a phone on the top of the steering wheel while their thumbs were working away and another looking in their lap on a long straight and when we stopped for a light.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-26-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:56 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Rev matching is awesome....while the skip shifts a non event if you shift out of first with the car warmed up after 21 mph....

I just never shift out of first below 21 mph just out of habit so no skip shift eliminator even installed....

Enjoy that beautiful corvette!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

This is my 4th, “7 speed” but the other 3 were a bit different so seldom used all 7! The 1st was a Dodge Colt and the 2nd a Dodge Colt turbo. They had 4 speeds with a 2 speed overdrive that could be energized in all 4 gears. Two levers and you split shifted! Two of the ratios were the same so only 7 not 8 speeds. My 3rd was in my ’87 Vette, so the C7 Vette was not the first! It came with a Doug Nash overdrive behind a 4 speed. It was activated electrically by a button on the shifter. Could not use it in 1st but could in 2nd, 3rd and 4th making it 6 + 1st for 7 speeds.
With the C7, 5th, 6th and 7th are all overdrives. If you get to 4th by rowing thru the gears then you’ll want to pick the overdrive you will use for the max speed you plan. In my rural roads with a 55 mph speed limit that is normally about 60 mph so 6th if a long trip with few stops or 5th if more local. I reserve 7th typically for a major highway and will often use 3rd in the onramp (@ 3700 rpm you're at 60 mph) and go directly to 7th. The same in leaving, 7th directly to 3rd for the offramp. The C7 has a lot of torque from 2000 rpm up. When making a turn from a 60 mph road will downshift from 6th directly to 3rd, why go the 5th, then 4th when you need 3rd after the turn. Use "Rev Match" and it makes a smooth downshift. To each his own but that is what I find works for me.
The issue with skip shift is not you as much as it is some folks today, texting while driving. Perfect time is in bumper to bumper traffic since they are stopped occasionally. What I describe in my OP happened to me! We have little heavy traffic so had never experienced skip shift. I accelerated in 1st and tried to shift to 2nd and was fumbling until I realized what was happening! Had the person behind me been answering a text they could well have hit me! I have had a number folks texting around me including a young person who had their hands holding a phone on the top of the steering wheel while their thumbs were working away and another looking in their lap on a long straight and when we stopped for a light.
Sounds like you have the shifting down pat.I once in A while go from fast traffic into all of A sudden slow traffic then I skip gears while down shifting.I don't use any gears as overdrive gears.I just go thru them all if
The speed limit allows.Many times I don't go into 7th.But sometimes I do.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 AM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I agree with the OP. Shift to the gear you want. This ain't a motorcycle
Old 10-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Seventh is an extremely tall gear. I have accelerated in seventh from around fifty five (slow) to eighty and above, but recommend shifting down to fifth. Learning experience!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Originally Posted by *C7*
I drive mine like I drive my Harley
Old 10-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Took me a little time to get used to the 7 speed. Before this car I had a '04 GTO, '10 C6 Grand Sport and '11 CTS-V so my brain is pretty programmed to reverse being where 7th gear is.

In the first week of ownership, I took it on a 600 mile road trip and got a lot more comfortable with downshifting to 6th or 5th from 7th. It doesn't take a lot of side-side motion to use 1-6, while 7 is like going into reverse on the older Tremecs.

Rev match is probably my favorite addition and I only wish it saved that preference when starting the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Love My 7 Speed Standard Transmission

Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by *C7*
Good analogy with the motorcycle sequential gear box! That is not what we have with the C7!
Have always had a standard trans from my 1st car, a ’41 Ford Opera Coupe I stuffed in an Olds engine! My ’08 Vette was bought after several years without a Vette, driving pick-ups! I had an S-10 step side, fiberglass bed cover, Flowmaster with duals, 5 speed V6, reprogramed engine control, MSD ignition etc, etc. Went to look at a replacement and asked about a 5 speed with the new 5 cylinder Colorado that was just being introduced and I could not find that combo on the Chevy “build your own” website. The salesman said wait here I’ll call and I’m sure it’s available. I waited about 15 minutes and was already not happy, he came back and said, “Afraid you’ll have to upgrade to an automatic!” I got up, walked out and said “You don’t understand that is not an ungraded, it’s a non-issue!” Got on the Net and bought my ’08 Vette from Kerbeck! . (Considering the issues with the Isuzu engine and the Colorado glad they didn’t have the standard trans option!)
Even made some paperweights from shift ***** I keep on my desk!

C7 OEM ****, **** from 5 speed B&M Shifter in S-10, 4 Speed **** from my 260Z!

Cue Ball Size **** Installed on the C7
Old 10-26-2014, 10:43 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Good analogy with the motorcycle sequential gear box! That is not what we have with the C7!
Have always had a standard trans from my 1st car, a ’41 Ford Opera Coupe I stuffed in an Olds engine! My ’08 Vette was bought after several years without a Vette, driving pick-ups! I had an S-10 step side, fiberglass bed cover, Flowmaster with duals, 5 speed V6, reprogramed engine control, MSD ignition etc, etc. Went to look at a replacement and asked about a 5 speed with the new 5 cylinder Colorado that was just being introduced and I could not find that combo on the Chevy “build your own” website. The salesman said wait here I’ll call and I’m sure it’s available. I waited about 15 minutes and was already not happy, he came back and said, “Afraid you’ll have to upgrade to an automatic!” I got up, walked out and said “You don’t understand that is not an ungraded, it’s a non-issue!” Got on the Net and bought my ’08 Vette from Kerbeck! . (Considering the issues with the Isuzu engine and the Colorado glad they didn’t have the standard trans option!)
Even made some paperweights from shift ***** I keep on my desk!

C7 OEM ****, **** from 5 speed B&M Shifter in S-10, 4 Speed **** from my 260Z!

Cue Ball Size **** Installed on the C7
I really need to get that 8 ball ****.I was trying for A T handle but gave up.It looks like I will have to hunt for A shop to install it.
It sounds A little difficult.When something's difficult I start using to
Much force and start breaking something
Old 10-26-2014, 11:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thrilled
I really need to get that 8 ball ****.I was trying for A T handle but gave up.It looks like I will have to hunt for A shop to install it.
It sounds A little difficult.When something's difficult I start using to
Much force and start breaking something
It’s actually a pretty easy install once you get the chrome ring off! This is a PDF I made of the install. http://netwelding.com/Reports_Vette_Info.htm
Mine may have had slightly oversized pins making it difficult to turn the ring. You can try with your hands before buying the **** and see it comes off easier. Just pull up and twist counterclockwise about from say 6 o’clock to 5 to clear the ridge locking it in place (pic in PDF) then push down and turn until 3 o'clock. It should slip down and you’ll see the screw holding the ****. It loosened easily and the new **** fit perfectly, just like the OEM. You can see if the chrome ring is easier to remove on your car. There is a video about doing it on a C6 that made it look that easy. Helped me by realizing it had to turn 90 degrees before it would slip down!

Quick Reply: Love My 7 Speed Standard Transmission