Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearcoat Missing on a 5 day old AW C7

Old 10-25-2014, 05:11 PM
IceMezzer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clearcoat Missing on a 5 day old AW C7

Just picked up my C7 a few days ago.. Love the car... One problem.. There is a 3" Star Burst (best I can describe it) on the drivers side rear 1/4 panel near the gas tank. It looks like possible missing Clearcoat?? I tried to take a picture, see attached but its difficult to see from a photo... When I rub my finger over it, my finger GLIDES very fast over that area, but on the rest of the car there is resistance from the gloss/clearcoat... Any ideas what this could be?? Is it something the dealer might be able to repair? I will be calling them Monday.. Just need some advise! Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2014, 05:20 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a new AW C7 and had a few spots that did not look right, but after a little detail the finish was perfect.

If you have any concern the paint is fully covered by your warranty.

It is most likely a gas stain or some other chemical that can be detailed off.

Just enjoy the car and don't worry, let the dealer do the worrying.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:48 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

It's not Clear Coat failure.

The pic isn't clear, but it looks to be an area that has less Orange Peel since you said it is smooth.
Might have been a touch up done there.

But I agree with the other guy, take it to your Dealer if your concerned.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:50 PM
IceMezzer
Racer

Thanks guys... Its more like a Matte finish on that area... hard to describe.. I tried polishing it alittle but had no luck..
Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on whats going on there some light wet sanding and buffing may do it. make sure they know what they're doing. Some dealers use outside shops for bodywork which is good. Talk directly to the people doing the work. Should be fine.

Maybe you can get them to wet sand any OP if there is any.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:15 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

I had a few dull spots like that on my roof and hood. Kind of a mystery but we decided it must have been from the white shipping cover flapping in the breeze during its ride on the transport truck. There are certain positions on the truck that subject the covers to a lot of turbulence. The marks did buff out easily, they are just a memory now.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,209 Likes on 13,925 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck getting it fixed - a good shop should make it look great.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:39 AM
IceMezzer
Racer

Originally Posted by ZL-1
I had a few dull spots like that on my roof and hood. Kind of a mystery but we decided it must have been from the white shipping cover flapping in the breeze during its ride on the transport truck. There are certain positions on the truck that subject the covers to a lot of turbulence. The marks did buff out easily, they are just a memory now.
Did you buff it out yourself? If so what did you use? I would prefer to try to do it myself before bringing it to the dealer..
Old 10-26-2014, 01:23 AM
yancruiser
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IceMezzer
Just picked up my C7 a few days ago.. Love the car... One problem.. There is a 3" Star Burst (best I can describe it) on the drivers side rear 1/4 panel near the gas tank. It looks like possible missing Clearcoat?? I tried to take a picture, see attached but its difficult to see from a photo... When I rub my finger over it, my finger GLIDES very fast over that area, but on the rest of the car there is resistance from the gloss/clearcoat... Any ideas what this could be?? Is it something the dealer might be able to repair? I will be calling them Monday.. Just need some advise! Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

I have the same exact Star Burst although mine is only 2" diameter in size. I thought somehow I had done something to damage the paint until I saw your picture. I agree, very difficult to get a good picture but I believe I have exactly the same issue on exactly the same panel. Let me know what you find out as I am most certainly going to bring this up with my dealer. Thanks for posting otherwise, I would have still thought that I did something to cause this even though I know I didn't.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:58 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like a stain from bird poop.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:57 AM
yancruiser
Navigator

Originally Posted by redzone
Looks like a stain from bird poop.
If it was bird poop, then it would have happened before I received the car. Shape is too circular on trunk fold. It's starting to look like a manufacturing suction cup mark to me as it seems to be right at the same spot as for IceMezzer.

I tried to take a photo this morning.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Does the spot kinda disappear if you wet your finger and rub across it? Then meg's 105 & 205 with a orbital should make short work of it....
Old 10-26-2014, 11:29 AM
IceMezzer
Racer

Originally Posted by yancruiser
If it was bird poop, then it would have happened before I received the car. Shape is too circular on trunk fold. It's starting to look like a manufacturing suction cup mark to me as it seems to be right at the same spot as for IceMezzer.
I tried to take a photo this morning.
Yancrusier, yours does look the same as mine.. At least it appears to be somewhat common and im sure the dealers have seen it before. I will get in touch with my dealer and let you know they say!.. Let me know what happens with your dealer as well.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:05 PM
yancruiser
Navigator

Yancrusier, yours does look the same as mine.. At least it appears to be somewhat common and im sure the dealers have seen it before. I will get in touch with my dealer and let you know they say!.. Let me know what happens with your dealer as well.
Will do IceMezzer!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Did you buff it out yourself? If so what did you use? I would prefer to try to do it myself before bringing it to the dealer..
My friend is an artist with a buffer and volunteered to buff out the marks. Only took a few minutes, not sure of the products used. If it's just that one small spot I'd just use any good cleaner-wax and polish it out by hand

Get notified of new replies

To Clearcoat Missing on a 5 day old AW C7

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clearcoat Missing on a 5 day old AW C7