Sponsored by:

Anyone using Race Ramps with their C7?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:20 AM
sdcnews
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 13 Posts

Default race ramps work for my Z51

I use them to change oil and they work fine. I don't jack up the rear. I have carefully measured the oil that still drains out ( at least 1 hour) and it is just about 9 qts. I put 9 qts in and then check the oil level and it is just about the same as before. My best guess is that maybe .2 qts of old remain. I figure that is probably what a dealer would leave in the car since they don't let it drain all that long.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

It was not my intention to deceive anyone with the video. My intention was simply to demonstrate an *additional* way to make use of the wheel chocks, especially when you are working alone without a spotter. Placing the wheel chock is a matter of measuring the wheel base and then setting the front edge of the wheel chock approximately that distance from the front edge of the ramp. After you do this one time you can mark the pavement for future use.

The cradle top platform on the RLL-80-2 and RR-80-10-2 ramps helps to prevent the car from rolling backwards when the non-drive wheels are on the ramp and the opposite end is raised with a floor jack.

Even with the cradle top, it is a best practice to place wheel chocks behind the rear tires and/or behind the front tires on the ramps.

Originally Posted by vettetwo
The manner in which the wheel chock is used in the video is rather deceiving. First of all, how do you know where to place the wheel chock so as to be in the correct position to stop the rear tire when driving up the ramp. Secondly, it is very important to place the wheel chocks behind the rear tire once on the ramp for safety.

Forty years ago I drove the front of my 1970 Mustang MachI onto ramps and placed a floor jack under the differential to lift the rear of the car. As the car approached being level, the front tires rolled backwards off the ramp while I was rolling under the rear on a creeper. God was watching over me that day as I scrambled from under the car and the floor jack remained upright rolling along under the moving car. The right rear quarter panel was dented as it hit the door frame of the garage, but I felt very fortunate to be able to pay a body shop to repair and paint that fender.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:49 AM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made my own out of 2x6 boards and screwing them to each other creating steps. Maybe $30.00. Very cheap as opposed to $400.00.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:15 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

There is really no comparison between a 6" wide ramp that is 3" to 4.5" high and a 14" wide ramp that is 9" or 10" high. A single solid wood ramp that is same size as the RR-80-10-2 Race Ramps would weigh in at 80 to 100 pounds. You would quickly get tired of dragging heavy ramps just a few feet in your garage.

Originally Posted by 87C4_4spd
I just made my own out of 2x6 boards and screwing them to each other creating steps. Maybe $30.00. Very cheap as opposed to $400.00.

Last edited by Fred@ReverseLogic; 10-28-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

I confirmed that the RR-80-10-2 ramp is eligible for the factory $40 rebate. So, the answer to your questions is, "Yes, you get both the 10% discount and the $40 rebate when you order the RR-80-10-2 + RR-WC-10 and RR-WC-2 products."

You can also order the 2-piece RR-WC-10-2 wheel cribs.

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...mps/p/19995831

Originally Posted by silversmoke1957
I like the SKU RR-80-10-2 ramp with the cradle top.... Do I understand correctly that if I order this item that the order will qualify for the 10% discount mentioned on your website plus an additional $40 rebate from Brute Industries?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetwo
...Forty years ago I drove the front of my 1970 Mustang MachI onto ramps and placed a floor jack under the differential to lift the rear of the car. As the car approached being level, the front tires rolled backwards off the ramp while I was rolling under the rear on a creeper. God was watching over me that day as I scrambled from under the car and the floor jack remained upright rolling along under the moving car...
You didn't mention the part where you swore you'd never go under a car on a jack ever again!

(About 45 years ago I got under my Camaro lifted by a bumper jack and... I was a dumb kid, but a LUCKY dumb kid! The differential made a howling noise ever since.)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:14 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gpotski
I have the 2 piece ramps, and remove the tapering part to get under the Vette. Definitely is helpful.

I usually jack up the rears and put in my old rhino ramps on the rear wheels, and keep the jack in a holding position when I'm under the car.
That link says it only supports 3000 lbs .
Old 10-28-2014, 01:58 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1xL82
You didn't mention the part where you swore you'd never go under a car on a jack ever again!

(About 45 years ago I got under my Camaro lifted by a bumper jack and... I was a dumb kid, but a LUCKY dumb kid! The differential made a howling noise ever since.)
That is so true...at least not without the proper support and blocking. We are both lucky to have learned from our mistakes and are still around to reflect upon them and share with others as words of caution.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:48 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Here are a few pictures of my 2-piece 67" long Race Ramps. The car is raised 10" and you can roll bumper to bumper with NO trouble at all. This was one of the best investment that I have made for safety's-sake. My life is worth that $350 investment.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
Here are a few pictures of my 2-piece 67" long Race Ramps. The car is raised 10" and you can roll bumper to bumper with NO trouble at all. This was one of the best investment that I have made for safety's-sake. My life is worth that $350 investment.
]
Do you have to use a low profile jack to get under the rear of the C7 after you have the front tires up on the Race Ramps? Or are you able to use a regular profile jack?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

The standard capacity Race Ramps service ramps and wheel cribs are rated at 1500 pounds per ramp. So a 6000 pound vehicle is no problem. Many of the ramp models are available with a Heavy Duty option. The HD ramps are rated at 2500 pounds per ramp.

The attached photo shows the relative size of the 56", 67", and 78" HD ramps. The platform heights are 8", 10", and 12" respectively.

Originally Posted by halt00
That link says it only supports 3000 lbs .
Attached Images  

Last edited by Fred@ReverseLogic; 10-28-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:28 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by silversmoke1957
What jacking point(s) do you use to elevate the rear so that you can put the Rhino ramps under the rear tires? Are keeping the car more or less level because you have dry sump system or do you do it for a different reason?
I use the lifting pucks and jack up one side, slide in the Rhino Ramp, lower onto the ramp. Repeat.

I have always tried to drain the oil fairly level.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I am using the 10" Race Ramps with my C7. I have done my first oil change using the $20 creeper from HF. Lots of room, piece of cake!
Old 10-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Wm Rose
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gpotski
I use the lifting pucks and jack up one side, slide in the Rhino Ramp, lower onto the ramp. Repeat.

I have always tried to drain the oil fairly level.
So the method you're using is: Running the front wheels up on the 8" ramps, then jacking up one side at a time in the rear? I've wondered about this. It seems like it would really twist the body around, having the front wheels 8" high, then jacking up one side in the rear.

My question: Would it be better to jack the rear up from the middle of the frame, near the rear end housing?

In the picture above, in post #29, it looks like the rear was jacked up from the middle, near the rear end housing.
There are 2 jacking points under the rear end, but the jack would have to go in the middle, between those 2 jacking points....and would that be ok knowing it's an aluminum frame. Has anyone just rolled a floor jack under the frame in the middle, and raised both back wheels, then placed 2 blocks under both wheels?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Wm Rose
So the method you're using is: Running the front wheels up on the 8" ramps, then jacking up one side at a time in the rear? I've wondered about this. It seems like it would really twist the body around, having the front wheels 8" high, then jacking up one side in the rear.

My question: Would it be better to jack the rear up from the middle of the frame, near the rear end housing?

In the picture above, in post #29, it looks like the rear was jacked up from the middle, near the rear end housing.
There are 2 jacking points under the rear end, but the jack would have to go in the middle, between those 2 jacking points....and would that be ok knowing it's an aluminum frame. Has anyone just rolled a floor jack under the frame in the middle, and raised both back wheels, then placed 2 blocks under both wheels?
That's what I do. The car is rock solid and doesn't flex with that process.

Jacking from the middle is possible too. I remember building lift pads for my C5 to lift from the center, front or rear. Don't know if they would fit a C7.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Race Ramps with their C7?