Sponsored by:

Why do I get better mileage at higher speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:15 AM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Why do I get better mileage at higher speeds

I have a 2014 c7 z51 auto with npp package. Can anyone out there explain why I get better gas mileage at higher speeds, i.e., 27/28 mpg at a constant cruise control 65mph on a flat freeway surface vs 32/33 mpg at 75mph on the same surface. Several of my club members told me that they noticed this in their c6 corvettes. This makes no sense to me and does not relate to the physics I have been taught. The drag resistance has to increase at speed. I am a relatively new member to the forum, and this may have been addressed previously, but I am puzzled. Any answers out there?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:56 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobull
I have a 2014 c7 z51 auto with npp package. Can anyone out there explain why I get better gas mileage at higher speeds, i.e., 27/28 mpg at a constant cruise control 65mph on a flat freeway surface vs 32/33 mpg at 75mph on the same surface. Several of my club members told me that they noticed this in their c6 corvettes.
I haven't noticed that at all with my C6. I have gotten as high as 36.1 MPG on a perfectly flat highway stretch with the cruise set to 60 mph (this is with a 6 speed manual and non ethanol gas), but have never done anywhere near that figure when I've had the cruise set to 70 or 75 or 80. The higher I set the cruise, the lower the MPG.

With a C7 though, I could understand how some might see better MPG at higher speeds, as it might stay in V4 mode continuously at the higher speed, versus kicking in and out of V8 mode if the speed was too low in the highest gear.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:37 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

The automatic will go into eco mode at about that (75) constant speed won't it?

Last edited by CaryBob; 10-29-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I must admit that I have gotten exactly the opposite results in my Z-51 M7.

On a relatively high speed run on an interstate with a 75 MPH speed limit and the cruise control set at approximately 80 MPH for over 100 miles, I only got 27 to 28 mpg.

Recently, I took another trip of just over 100 miles on a limited access four lane with a 55 MPH speed limit and the cruise control set at 60 to 65 MPH. I got 30 to 32 mpg.

Both trips were in the relatively flat outback of eastern North Carolina. Both trips were made in the eco-mode as well. Temperatures were similar on both days and it was fair and sunny each time with no other definite variables that I can think of.

Last edited by Rad22; 10-29-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2014 c7 z51 auto with npp package. Can anyone out there explain why I get better gas mileage at higher speeds, i.e., 27/28 mpg at a constant cruise control 65mph on a flat freeway surface vs 32/33 mpg at 75mph on the same surface. Several of my club members told me that they noticed this in their c6 corvettes. This makes no sense to me and does not relate to the physics I have been taught. The drag resistance has to increase at speed. I am a relatively new member to the forum, and this may have been addressed previously, but I am puzzled. Any answers out there?
what rpm's are you running at ? lower rpms will = less gas
Old 10-29-2014, 09:17 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Rad22
I must admit that I have gotten exactly the opposite results in my Z-51 M7.

On a relatively high speed run on an interstate with a 75 MPH speed limit and the cruise control set at approximately 80 MPH for over 100 miles, I only got 27 to 28 mpg.

Recently, I took another trip of just over 100 miles on a limited access four lane with a 55 MPH speed limit and the cruise control set at 60 to 65 MPH. I got 30 to 32 mpg.

Both trips were in the relatively flat outback of eastern North Carolina. Both trips were made in the eco-mode as well. Temperatures were similar on both days and it was fair and sunny each time with no other definite variables that I can think of.
Same here or close to.

This all has to do with two factors; the resistance of the road and wind (drag coefficient) and the rpm to drive ratio. The lower you are in the RPM band in the high gears, the harder it is for the engine to turn over and therefor it uses more fuel trying to do so. Then you factor drag into this. Basically, each gear has a sweet spot for RPM and drag which will change based on how windy it is. You only get the best mileage when you are in the sweet spot..
Old 10-29-2014, 10:11 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
The automatic will go into eco mode at about that (75) constant speed won't it?
Sure will on my C7 base model. The only time I use ECO is on flat or downhill stretches of interstate cruising, otherwise SPORT mode. Don
Old 10-29-2014, 10:45 AM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Their are many factors. The grade of the road and wind are 2 factors that are seldom discussed.

Roads often appear perfectly flat yet might have a slight grade which can help or hinder mileage. ( This is also true when recording 0-60 times)

Wind is another factor. Seldom is it dead calm.

The best way to eliminate these 2 factors is to do a run in one direction, then turn around and immediately do a run on the same stretch of road in the opposite direction.

Best,
Old 10-29-2014, 10:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,643 Likes on 6,643 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Same here or close to.

This all has to do with two factors; the resistance of the road and wind (drag coefficient) and the rpm to drive ratio. The lower you are in the RPM band in the high gears, the harder it is for the engine to turn over and therefor it uses more fuel trying to do so. Then you factor drag into this. Basically, each gear has a sweet spot for RPM and drag which will change based on how windy it is. You only get the best mileage when you are in the sweet spot..
:agree: It's a blend of fuel use efficiency versus engine rpm, as you say sweet spot, and the aerodynamic drag which increases with the square of the speed. The low coefficient of drag does reduce this force with the C7 but it still is a big factor. Found these two graphs, for folks that like graphs, that helps define why there is an optimum speed for the Vette. If on a flat road and in 7th gear, ~ 60 to 65 sounds like the engine is at its optimum fuel efficient rpm versus the extra drag from air resistance. When I have looked at instant mpg believe I saw about the speed being best.

Fuel Consumption vs Engine RPM on Bottom Graph. Top Graph Shows a Typical Optimum mpg vs Speed (Note, not graphs for C7, just examples)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

On one form A guy said he got 38 MPG.he would have it on ECO and in 7th gear.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:19 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Think of it in aviation terms. Max range speed. Ie fuel consumption vs. vehicle velocity.

Example, you may be thinking the slower you go, the better. If you are idling in 1st gear going 3mph, you are likely at your max endurance speed(lowest aerodynamic drag, and lowest engine rpm). You may last 15 hours on 10 gallons, but youll only go 45 miles on 10gallons= 4.5mpg

However,
Try going 70 as you did and achieve 33mpg.

There are lots of variables like profile drag, induced drag, parasite drag, engine powerband, winds, DA, etc.
the bottom line is how many drops of fuel you consume per mile driven(or whatever metrics you like).

The simplest way i feel in a car like ours to quickly evaluate your max range speed is to use the instantaneous MPGs on the DIC. In constant road conditions, hold about mph. Note inst. mpg, slowly increase your speed at 5mph intervals and record your results. You will quickly bracket your best speeds. My wifes c5 doest best around 62. My c5 is best around 53. Our new z06 does best around 60.
Treat the dic as a trend indicator, then later hand calculate to validate dtc %error.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Mine gets better milage in the hills then I do on the flat. I think the downhills are super efficient...
Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 PM
SFZX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
:agree: It's a blend of fuel use efficiency versus engine rpm, as you say sweet spot, and the aerodynamic drag which increases with the square of the speed. The low coefficient of drag does reduce this force with the C7 but it still is a big factor. Found these two graphs, for folks that like graphs, that helps define why there is an optimum speed for the Vette. If on a flat road and in 7th gear, ~ 60 to 65 sounds like the engine is at its optimum fuel efficient rpm versus the extra drag from air resistance. When I have looked at instant mpg believe I saw about the speed being best.

Fuel Consumption vs Engine RPM on Bottom Graph. Top Graph Shows a Typical Optimum mpg vs Speed (Note, not graphs for C7, just examples)
Did a three thousand mile round trip to Colorado and back to visit friends.
M7 even running mostly 6th gear, absolutely no eco-mode, with rpm avg in the 1800-2000 range and running shifts up pretty close to 4500. Using V-power Shell avg mileage was 29.8. Blew my mind never had this with any car couldn't believe how well it did, totally fun drive! I love this car!!!
Could not see much difference in eco mode after about five minutes driving so shut the blasted thing off and have never used it again.

Last edited by SFZX; 10-29-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's physically not possible if you are in the same gear. I think you must be imagining things.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:17 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

I got 30+ mpg going 100 mph in 9th gear on 2 cylinders,
going downhill both ways...
Old 10-30-2014, 07:33 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Under certain conditions, cruising at low RPM's in a very high gear can lug the engine, hurting gas mileage.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM
tambeng
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

Is there such a graph like the above for C7?

Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To Why do I get better mileage at higher speeds

Old 10-30-2014, 12:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,643 Likes on 6,643 Posts

Originally Posted by tambeng
Is there such a graph like the above for C7?

Thank you!
It is dependent on so many variables, like hills or lack thereof, wind speed, etc etc would not be a generic one. These were just put in as examples. I have done my own tests on a fixed highway between my house and town (16 miles.) It is pretty flat. I get my best mileage at ~65 mph in 7th gear Sport. Was not much better in Econo (4 cylinder mode) so I just keep the car in Sport all the time. My Z51 has Biltein shocks so no effect on ride..
Old 10-30-2014, 01:23 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Under certain conditions, cruising at low RPM's in a very high gear can lug the engine, hurting gas mileage.
I cruise at 60mph in 6th gear.I think it's around 1500 RPM's.
I don't believe in hurting the engine.If I want to accelerate I drop it down
A gear or 2.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Aerodynamics, it is just not air flowing over a surface, other factors are at play. Impact air can flow differently over the car's frontal area as speed changes, high/low pressure areas form. Another factor, the C7 has engine cooling airflow over the top of the hood effecting drag. Explanation could take pages of dialog. GM engineers probably have volumes of data.

Quick Reply: Why do I get better mileage at higher speeds