Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acrylic roof - Any regrets

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 AM
youcancallmeray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be rude, but the OP did not ask whether people liked the transparent top, rather does anyone have problems with it. This is not a contest or a poll. Lots of people love their transparent top but that is not what the OP asked.

Too hot for it here in Florida. Since mine is a DD, I waited several extra months when purchasing to get the solid top. Have been in one the the transparent and the heat is too much of an issue.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by youcancallmeray
Not to be rude, but the OP did not ask whether people liked the transparent top, rather does anyone have problems with it. This is not a contest or a poll. Lots of people love their transparent top but that is not what the OP asked.

Too hot for it here in Florida. Since mine is a DD, I waited several extra months when purchasing to get the solid top. Have been in one the the transparent and the heat is too much of an issue.
Not to be rude, but the OP asked about regrets. As regrets are based on personal opinion through experience, if one person likes it for some reason it would be a valid post in this thread.

the general consensus seems to be if you live in a hot climate it may not be good, if not then it's purely preference. This seems like it would be common sense. I would personally suggest that if you want the car right now the transparent roof seems to be very available while the CF roofs are perpetually on constraint. I bought my C7 with the trans roof because I wanted instant gratification. I'll buy roof liners for the summer and may one day purchase an exposed CF top but for now the joy of driving my Z51 far outweighs the current cons of the roof.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Have "clear" as the only roof in my C5.
can't argue with the "great view/opens the interior"
and provides nice external color contrast,
but
have fried more than one brain cell over the years.

Bough the static cling perforated vinyl type shade.
Helped, but not much.

After 10 years, started getting hazy/cloudy.
Would guess that could be fixed the same way as the headlight "buffing" tools, but haven't tried.

All that said, I don't regret getting just the one roof, but I understand why a 2nd roof is an (expensive) option.

That said, when I got my C7, body color roof only.
Don't really miss the clear top.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Corvette Wannabe
I am looking at finally pulling the trigger and nearly every car I like has an acrylic roof as the only roof. Does anyone who has an acrylic roof in their C7 have any regrets?

Any response is welcome.
Had a transparent roof on my '05 C6 (loved the view up) but now have the painted roof on my '14 C7. Why the change? Other than IMO the C7 Coupe looks best with the painted top, the difference in their weights are significant (6-8#) making the painted top easier to handle on and off.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Not to nitpick, but the C7 doesn't have a transparent top made of acrylic. The transparent top is made of polycarbonate .
Finally, someone who knows their plastics.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Swt_86
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

When I found my C5 it had two things I was not sure about - a red interior and the clear top. Over time, they turned out to be my favorite two things about the car. When I ordered the new C7, the clear top was the one thing insisted on. I live in a cold state so the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I have both the exposed Carbon fiber top and the transparent top. Picked up the transparent top for $500 from a friend/C7 owner who bought it with the car but then didn't want it. I use the Exposed CF top during the Summer, and plan on using the transparent top during the Fall/Winter months when the sun is not so direct. I like having both tops, and the transparent top makes the interior much lighter. Like Zymurgy says, I wouldn't want it as the only top given the effects of the sun and heat in the Summer.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clegg
I ordered my car with a white top, but with constraint issues I changed to the transparent top. I am very happy with it.
Just got off the phone with my dealer. To get my Z51 I have no choice but to swap out the painted roof for either transparent or CF. I opted for transparent. Time will tell.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Mtnvettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Museum delivery with solid red top (which is my favorite of the 3 tops offered) and purchased the transparent top from GM Parts House (thanks Gene) because my wife prefers the transparent top when we cruise in the mountains. I keep the solid top on because, as is the case in the south, it is too hot in July-Aug to run the transparent top. If I could only have one top, it would be the solid top. My C5 had both tops and I ran the solid top unless my wife wanted the transparent top on - she did not during July-Aug. If I want to see the sun and sky, I drop the top on my C6 roadster.

Barrett
Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
No offence to others but I would never want one. And not just because of the heat.
I tend to agree. I just don't like the look.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my transparent top because it actually looks best with my color combination which is blade silver with black Z51 wheels, CF mirrors, spoiler and badges. I wanted a the dual roof package originally but since the painted roofs were on constraint I just went with the single transparent roof. Now that I have my car I can only see it with the transparent roof since it matches the contrasting black on the car. I got gray seats so the leather won't be so hot as it would if it were the jet black.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:13 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
No, but I have both
My car came with out so I bought the clear top from GM parts.
Then you have order all the hardware including the gaskets.
Then put it all together. I do like having both. But the hard top is
a must have. But I do use the clear. It's not a must have.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Coulson T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a 2007 with the transparent top, bought it used with 40k+ miles..the top had a pattern of fracturing which looked like it had been been struck or pounded on..the apparent stress like pattern was not something you could feel with a finger nail just blemished through the entire material..Sold it and now my C7 has a transparent top which I love as it enables light and view without the wind and noise..And it gets hot in the summer..If I do another Vette I will get both tops..Keep it clean with a plastic cleaner don't use other cleaners,,and I've had no issues with it to date.

I have had several motorcycles with lexan and plastic windscreens most of the issues with them is the use of dirty cloth, poor washing technique and using common car wax rather than a real plastic cleaner and polishes. Choose wisely when you clean the top..

Last edited by Coulson T; 11-02-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 11-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I had both on my C6, never used the transparent.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:05 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I would have really enjoyed the transparent roof today here in upstate NY where it was sunny but the temp was only 39F. I may get one yet!

Quick Reply: Acrylic roof - Any regrets