Sponsored by:

Zurich Shield/ Zurich Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:24 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Zurich Shield/ Zurich Extended Warranty

I picked up my C7 today and had to visit with a salesman finalizing the paperwork. I was provided with quite a sales pitch of a series of products during this process. The push was for Zurich Shield exterior and interior protection and the Zurich extended warranty (beyond the 3/36 GM offers).

Needless to say, I was not a "quick sell". Told him that I'm a "researcher" by nature and never jump in without being fully informed.

I could see a marked change in his facial expression as I mentioned the GMPP (which he offers) and then GMEPP which he disavowed knowledge of. He was pushing the Zurich products (which until this time I had never heard of).

I told him that with the GMPP I could wait until the car was 11 months old before buying it and get basically an additional year of coverage rather than the 1st year overlapping buying it right that minute.

He said it would cost more if I waited as my car would be considered a used car ( I understood this to be false based on threads in this forum). He said if the car has 500 miles on it it's considered used and the price for extended warranties goes up. (Perhaps that is true if he was referring to Zurich) but I think that is untrue with GMPP.

I mentioned to him that prices on extended warranties vary from dealer to dealer, which he is said was not true (in Florida). I could not dispute this as I did not know, but I did tell him that I could go out of state to buy a GMPP (NH) and likely get it cheaper.

He did admit that since NH is not a regulated state and they can sell warranties for whatever they choose (or the market allows for). Florida may in fact be regulated to ensure everyone has to pay the same for the same warranty (in theory it sounds fair, but in practice (depending on who establishes the pricing) can shaft the consumer.

At this point he realized I was not going to jump on any of these bargains. My wife was all ready to sign up for everything. LOL

Upon researching Zurich extended warranty (when I got home), I found that they have horrible customer service and hence poor customer ratings.

The Zurich Shield (exterior/Interior protection) is just another name for Ford's Permaseal or Toyota Perma plate, or any number of other high profit dealer paint add ons that do little more than a good wax will do to protect your car's finish. The interior is a leather protectant and conditioner, with Scotch-gard for the carpet and other materials.

I've had a few cars in Florida with my front end covered with lovebugs (supposedly highly acidic and paint damaging). These have sat on the car for weeks before I finally got to cleaning them off. A couple of shots of 409 (let sit for 15-20 seconds) and they wipe off without leaving a spot on the clear coat).

Just passing along my experience to those who may be still waiting to take delivery and may be subjected to this sales bombardment.

Be leery of all the claims and the need for you to immediately take advantage or lose out. The only one losing out by you being cautious, is the dealership.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Nice write up, totally correct on all counts.....

The look on a F&I or salesman's face when you don't just immediately bite for the fluff stuff and actually have a working knowledge of the products that he is trying to sell you, is priceless .....they are always dumbfounded that you might know what you're talking about… ive seen guys actually stutter when you break up their "schtick" .....

Take a picture next time...

Last edited by Glen e; 10-29-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Glen e
Nice write up, totally correct on all counts.....

The look on a F&I or salesman's face when you don't just immediately bite for the fluff stuff and actually have a working knowledge of the products that he is trying to sell you, is priceless .....they are always dumbfounded that you might know what you're talking about… ive seen guys actually stutter when you break up their "schtick" .....

Take a picture next time...
Yes, I definitely missed that "Kodak Moment".

I definitely want to get an extended service contract as I know how expensive repairs can be after the 3/36K goes away. I want a service contract w/ coverages as close as I can get to the same full bumper to bumper coverage that GM offers on the new cars.

Again, it's not going to be the miles I put on (approx 5K per year, probably less) but rather the length of time I own the car. So the longer I can extend the coverage, the better I will sleep at night.

Not sure if the 11 month method is best or wait until my car is going out of bumper to bumper (at 3 years old with less than 15K miles on it) would be more practical).

D. Fitchner still the go to guy?
Old 10-30-2014, 04:27 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

It was my recollection that Dennis had said he couldn't sell the GM Warranty in FL because the FL dealers lobbied to have a law pass that citizens had to buy it from a FL dealer. Please correct me if I'm wrong but it was something like that.

Also, Dennis is still the go to guy but he now offers other than the old type of warranty I think. He was helpful when I bought the GM Major Guard for my '09 Z06 and then after a year I traded it and rec'd 40-45% rebate back.

I still don't know the difference between the GMPP and the GMEPP. Could someone clarify for me?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2014, 05:53 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret

I definitely want to get an extended service contract as I know how expensive repairs can be after the 3/36K goes away. I want a service contract w/ coverages as close as I can get to the same full bumper to bumper coverage that GM offers on the new cars.

Again, it's not going to be the miles I put on (approx 5K per year, probably less) but rather the length of time I own the car. So the longer I can extend the coverage, the better I will sleep at night.

Not sure if the 11 month method is best or wait until my car is going out of bumper to bumper (at 3 years old with less than 15K miles on it) would be more practical).

Yes, he's the man to go to. Bought mine when the car had 35,700 miles on it . Very little double coverage. Got a good price and $0.00 deductible, and be sure to get Major Guard.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:26 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the great detailed post.

I bought the dealer's 5 year tire hazard policy for $200, but pass up the $1300 6/60 $100 deductible GMPP.

Planning to buy GMPP at a later date.
So what's the best time? Right Before 12 months or 36 months?

Thanks,
Old 10-31-2014, 08:08 AM
red63vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret

Yes, Ken Fitchner sold out to another dealer, but still offers a no mark up GMPP. And yes, I live in FL and bought one out of state.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:47 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I've purchased all my GMPP's from Dennis Fitchner going back to 1999 and have always purchased them with ONE remaining on the factory B2B warranty.

I couldn't see paying for DOUBLE coverage, plus after 34 months of ownership I had a pretty good feel for how my Corvette was aging.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:41 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Pls clarify the "I couldn't see paying for DOUBLE coverage..."

You mean if I buy the 6/60 GMPP for $1300 at purchase (0 miles), I'm covered for total of 6 yrs/60K miles

If I wait to buy the same 6/60 GMPP for, let's say $1500 (inflation, used car now, etc.) at 35th month & less than 36K miles, I can extend that out to a total of 9 years & 96K miles...?
or will it's still 6 yrs/60K miles total?

Pls clarify,
Thanks,
Old 10-31-2014, 02:25 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2

You mean if I buy the 6/60 GMPP for $1300 at purchase (0 miles), I'm covered for total of 6 yrs/60K miles

If I wait to buy the same 6/60 GMPP for, let's say $1500 (inflation, used car now, etc.) at 35th month & less than 36K miles, I can extend that out to a total of 9 years & 96K miles...?

Pls clarify,
Thanks,
Those are true. I understand that GMPP is now owned by Ally and the new GMEPP is a GM product. Other than that I don't know the differences.

Last edited by BigJoe; 10-31-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:19 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2

Pls clarify,
Thanks,
You are absolutely correct. That's why many wait until the 11th month of ownership before buying the extended coverage. (as long as the car is less than 12 months old and has less than 12K miles it is considered a new automobile (0 miles 0 moths of ownership),

So buying a 72 month coverage plan (on the 11th month) gives you 4 years of coverage (beyond the GM 3 year) compared to 3 additional years if you bought it on day one.

The GMPP (Major Guard) seems like the best plan to get as it covers most everything that is going to be expensive to repair.

I think Dennis is selling a Platinum plan that excludes Speakers, Audio/Video Equipment and any pixel damage on display screens
Electronic transmitting/receiving devices, remote control consoles
also emission components: EGR purge valve/solenoids/sensors, Vacuum Canister, Vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/Line/Valves, Catalytic Convertor/Filtering/Sensors, Emission Vapor Sensors, Gas Cap/Filler neck and not covered

Since it's not listed as a Major Guard, I'm wondering if it is GMPP or not?

https://www.ally.com/gmpp/service/ma...-included.html

I want everything on and under that dashboard covered.
Apparently Major covers it all

Something else of note. If you wait until month 35 (1 month before your 3/36K runs out) and buy the extended warranty, you get 72 months more coverage (with zero overlap of coverage which you would if you bought on the 11th month).

Naturally cost is going to be higher (you have to determine if the extra cost is worth the much longer coverage or not) as it is now a used car, but 6 years of virtual bumper to bumper is pretty nice. Again car has to still be under the factory 3/36K to qualify for the GMPP.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:45 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Thank you very much for the detailed clarification.
As I was previously in error as I was thinking that if I bought the 6/60 at 0 miles, I'm paying for just the 3/24 after the first 3/36 coverage.

Then I'm def waiting until 35th month to buy GMPP...

Now if there's an app to remind me when that 35th month is....

Thanks,
Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 PM
0Rimrock Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Fichtner Chevrolet the original sponsoring dealer is now Rimrock Chevrolet.

We are offering GMPP a product of Ally and Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac Protection Plans which are a product of GM at the same deep discounts that we have been known for many, many years,

I was the first to offer plans at a discounts and without sales tax.

I am still here! Though I chose to sell the dealership I am staying on with the new owners as their manager.

I promise great service and the lowest prices.

Matching and beating other offers is our goal!

We can extend your present GMPP policy if it hasn't expired.

Email me for a quote!

Also note that my office is in a Chevrolet dealerships not in a used car operation posing to be a new car dealership.

Email us for a quote today!

KenFichtner@rimrockauto.com

Get notified of new replies

To Zurich Shield/ Zurich Extended Warranty

Quick Reply: Zurich Shield/ Zurich Extended Warranty