Car dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:09 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
before I took it back I would want to know the voltage when you gave it to them dead...what was the exact volts?

And did they LOAD TEST the batt?

I really don't like techs that say "damned if we know what it was, but it's ok now"
I do not know the answer to that question. They said they did everything they knew to do and she never lost charge since yesterday morning. Guess time will tell.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:04 PM
AV Guy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Got that pic from the forum and put in the yellow arrow, Glen indicates it is his C7, identical view to mine. I had to leverage the plastic cover off with a screw driver. Good for a 12 volt source but don't remove the nut, add a ring terminal than another nut. Doesn't look like a spot that was designed for a jumper cable! As I mentioned the wire looks too small to carry starter current, but for a short time, guess it's OK. My Dad would have called this a “shoemakers solution,” not sure what was wrong with a shoemakers work! If you want to see in a manual, here is a pic of the 2007 Z06 that also had the battery in the back.

From 2007 Owner's Manual for Z06

Funny as I was posting this I looked carefully at the Z06 pic and noticed they are connecting inside the fuse box cover. Went and checked and there is no internal place inside the C7 fuse box cover to attach a jumper cable! The Z06 is obviously different. Let’s see if Chevy Customer Service can get their “contacts” to tell us "officially" where to connect the jumper cable, hopefully with a picture! They could not get that answer a year ago, lets see what they can do now! The other cars I have had with batteries in the rear, under the seat etc. all had clearly marked covered terminals in the engine compartment that looked like they were supposed to be used for jump starting. Our new BMW SUV has a clearly markered covered termainal and large wires, as I expect!

Just a FYI. This is what the manual says on my 2015 Stingray. No jumper posts under the hood.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:00 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AV Guy

Just a FYI. This is what the manual says on my 2015 Stingray. No jumper posts under the hood.

Are you sure there are no posts under the hood? If you don't mind, please look on the fuse box of your car on the back side toward the firewall. Id there a stud sticking up under a cover as in post #32?

Elmer
Old 10-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

I,believe the post in my pic is for charging, not really for jump starting.....
Old 10-31-2014, 07:26 PM
AV Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Are you sure there are no posts under the hood? If you don't mind, please look on the fuse box of your car on the back side toward the firewall. Id there a stud sticking up under a cover as in post #32?

Elmer

Elmer,
I just looked and the post is there, but the manual makes no reference to it for the purpose of jump starting. I've attached the next two pages to show the complete process.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:26 PM
AV Guy
Instructor

Oops.

Last edited by AV Guy; 10-31-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:05 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I,believe the post in my pic is for charging, not really for jump starting.....
Glen, I agree, that threaded connection is fine for charging, getting 12 volts for an accessory etc. However that is the threaded “post” that folks have said is for jump starting. I have accepted that (although I probably would not use it) based on the figure in the 2007 Owner’s Manual for the Z06 that has a rear mounted battery. But a close look at that pic shows it is below a raised lid on the fuse box! However that is from a 2007 Owner's Manual.
When I questioned a year ago to our forum Customer Service, they said "their sources" said the Owner's Manual page 1-20 is correct there is a location to jump start in the engine compartment. When I asked specifically where is was they could not provide an answer.
I have sent a PM today and we’ll see if Customer Service can give an "official" location. It probably is that threaded post but you do not have to lift the fuse box cover as shown in the 2007 manual, just the cover over the post as you know.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:42 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Guys, I think the wife and I just figured out what happened to the car. We went out to the garage and started her and the CETA to let them run a little and both started perfectly. We got into the Vette and was playing with some of the settings on the screen. We then went to the PDR prior recording. The evening the battery died, it had recorded an hour and half(1.5hrs).
This immediately caught our attention so we played it and scanned thru it quickly. Most of the recordings are 25 mins or less. That evening it recorded as I backed into the garage and exited the vehicle. Normally, the PDR shuts down after 60 seconds (the setting for retained lights at shut down). However, this time for whatever reason it kept recording.

Obviously this is what ran the battery down. The question now is why didn't it automatically shut down as always ? We turned the PDR recorder on and shut down to test. When we pulled the recording up it shut down, as proper, in 1 minute from exiting the vehicle. Seems to be working correctly now, as always, except that one evening. Its a mystery.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:50 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by AV Guy

Don’t want to add to the confusion (perhaps only mine) about the under hood jump start location but our forum Customer Service verified with their “sources” a year ago that this statement on page 1-20 in the 2014 C7 owner’s manual was valid:
Jump Starting the Battery
The battery is in the rear of the vehicle. Access to the battery is not necessary for jump starting. There are remote positive (+) and negative (−) terminals under the hood for this purpose. See Battery on page 10-30 and Jump Starting on page 10-65.

Pages 10-30 and 10-65 are no help as they only refer to jump starting at the battery.
I just received a PM from Chevy Customer Service who replied to my PM question about verifying the “official” position on where to jump start under the hood and was told I would have to ask my Dealer! That is useless! They have no clue. I have asked for them to ask their “sources!” Doubt I’ll get an answer. If I do I’ll post. As per my prior post #42 with pic, the 2007 Z06 did show a “+” location underneath the front fuse box cover and recommended for a ground using an engine bolt! However looking under the C7 fuse box cover there is no post so the one outside the cover is the one forum folks say “can be used.” Perhaps that is correct but sure would be nice to have that validated so if what I think is a relatively small wire burns up if someone tries to crank too long, there is some support saying this is what it was told to use!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:29 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Oh no, not this SH*T again

Originally Posted by Weasel
This same thing happened to my coupe. The dealer kept the car for 8 days and it turned out to be a pinched wire harness in the rear-view mirror. All has been fine since then.
This is enough to have me not get a C7 at all. The DBS syndrome was a major issue with the C6, and though I did not get it early on, we have had two "car completely dead" episodes in the last 2 years with no one able to figure how how the battery is drained. The first time was on a road trip, and it is an unbelievable nightmare, with accesss to the car nearly impossible. Luckily we were only 90 miles from home. And to really make matters horrendous the first time, the goddamn key cylinder broke off inside the rear bumper when we tired to use the trunk access. When the dealer finally got access to the car and got the bumper off, it looked like monkeys had glued the parts in there, with huge epoxy blobs.

I really can't believe they haven't fixed this electrical deficiency yet after 10 damn years. This should simply not happen to a car today, no matter how stupid the owner is.

If my wife finds this on the internet, there will simply be no C7.

Last edited by TTRotary; 11-03-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Car dead