Front Bumper Camera instead of Curb Alert

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:00 PM
ATXRAY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Bumper Camera instead of Curb Alert

Hello all,

I have a quick question for all the experts on here. I know this has been touched upon in some other threads but I can't quite find an answer. I want to install a front camera in the front grill or stick right on the underside of the front bumper in order to prevent curb accidents. i know the curb alert works but I am NOT interested in beeping. I would rather have a camera instead.

I can get a professional installation done for $500 or I can do it myself. It seems like a very simple installation. I found decent front bumper cameras and wireless connections to the monitor at tadibrothers.com so that will be easy to do. My only issue is how can I connect the front camera to switched 12v DC source in the bumper proximity. I can connect it to the fuse box similar to the curb alert but it would always be on then. I would need to add a switching mechanism. Is there an easy access point to a switched source there. I was told splice the headlight power source but I want to do the least amount of alteration possible. I am NOT mechanically inclined to say the least.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by ATXRAY; 10-30-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:27 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Camera? Screen? Switches? Wiring? $500? Don't like beeping? Forget the camera. Use the Curb Alert to simply activate a small pilot light instead of the beeper. Locating a small amber warning lamp within sight should be very easy...and a fraction of the cost and complexity.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:02 AM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see an after market part that adds a front bumper camera and integrates into the existing Dash electronics.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Red 50th Anniversary
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXRAY
Hello all,

I have a quick question for all the experts on here. I know this has been touched upon in some other threads but I can't quite find an answer. I want to install a front camera in the front grill or stick right on the underside of the front bumper in order to prevent curb accidents. i know the curb alert works but I am NOT interested in beeping. I would rather have a camera instead.

I can get a professional installation done for $500 or I can do it myself. It seems like a very simple installation. I found decent front bumper cameras and wireless connections to the monitor at tadibrothers.com so that will be easy to do. My only issue is how can I connect the front camera to switched 12v DC source in the bumper proximity. I can connect it to the fuse box similar to the curb alert but it would always be on then. I would need to add a switching mechanism. Is there an easy access point to a switched source there. I was told splice the headlight power source but I want to do the least amount of alteration possible. I am NOT mechanically inclined to say the least.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I'd also love to have a front camera, I started exploring my options when I picked up my car in July. I too found tadibrothers to have the best wireless solution and found that they sell an app which will work with your cell phone for either iphones or androids so you don't need a separate monitor. I'm going to give them a call and see what the best solution/configuration would be.

I also found a thread on the telsa forum where a group of EE's actually dug into their nav system and developed an add on board to tap into their navigation for a front camera. A bit gutsy, I don't think I'd want to tear apart a new Vette and void my warranty in the process. But if anyone is interested, they are located in Timonium Maryland. If nothing else, they may be of some help locating a power source for the camera which will shut off when the car is not running.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:58 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I would like something that's easy to install, unobtrusive, is always on, ties into existing equipment and is reliable. Audio warning (beeps) that gets quicker as you come closer to the object is fine, I really don't need a camera.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Bumper Camera instead of Curb Alert

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Camera instead of Curb Alert