A8 died

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Same thing, 15,700 & change on my A6. Knock on wood, the girl is rock solid . Taking her on a club 'Leaf Cruise' Saturday up into the mountains. Will have to tread lightly in the curves tho, supposed to be really cold tomorrow night with light snow and light accumulations. We should have in the range of 30 cars for some eye candy going through North GA into North Carolina.
Originally Posted by Sidepiper
I have 15k on my 14 C7 with zero issues and still as fun as the day I pulled it off the lot a year ago. You'll be in good shape soon, theyll take care of you. Lots of fun ahead.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:03 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I am optimistic. My Father in Law bought a new Chevy pick up many years ago and the tranny failed on that vehicle in just a few thousand miles. GM quickly replaced the defective transmission and he never had a bit of trouble with it....through over twenty years of ownership....even though he used it to pull a 5th wheel A LOT.

All manufacturers today will step up to the plate to make a customer happy, including GM. You'll be fine!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by zeshawn
The problem you describe above is what happens if the engine decides to get into deceleration fuel cutoff while the torque converter on the transmission is UNLOCKED, engine speed will drop really quick and then shoot back up. This is assuming this was happening while coasting down.
No it was steady state light throttle pressure to maintain about 45mph when it would happen. It was a strange sensation because there was no real feeling of the car coming out of gear and going back in. Just the rpm going up to about 4K then back down. Of course I'm sure I let off the throttle as soon as I saw the rpm going up.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:57 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
You are talking about a total new frame and engine with cylinder deactivation and direct injection and electric assist steering. Transmission would be the last mechanical component I would be concerned about...
Well, a brand new "untested" transmission to me is something i would be concerned about. Obviously, i was not concerned about the 2014 being new cause i bought one. But, i would have been hesitant to go with the 2015. I think you are underestimating issues that a new tranny can have.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:13 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by proexpert
I don't understand why everything has to be controlled by electronics and computers. Going into reverse when the stick is in drive? Damn I hate technology sometimes.
Cars were far MORE unreliable before electronics came to their aid. Mechanical parts are far more vulnerable than electronic parts where the biggest moving component is an electron.

Yes, these stories are unfortunate, but let's not pretend like cars didn't break down before computers existed...
Old 10-31-2014, 03:24 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by proexpert
I don't understand why everything has to be controlled by electronics and computers. Going into reverse when the stick is in drive? Damn I hate technology sometimes.
If the transmission wasn't computer controlled, it wouldn't be possible for it to be as fast as it is, nor as light.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:09 AM
Ltespd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bevo_87
This is exactly why i got a 2014 A6 and did not wait for the A8. Everybody was talking about waiting for the second year to avoid issues, but in reality, the A8 is really the first year of something new. The A6 has been proven for years. I would have waited for a 2016 if i had to wait. This sucks, but hopefully it gets figured out.
I'm just the opposite. I was going to get a 2014. I heard about the A8 and waited for the 2015. I'm glad I did. So far my A8 has been flawless. Hopefully the OP will get a new one...and it'll run great.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:39 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Don't you honestly think that a new transmission is a hell of a lot more serious then a new body style? The A6 has been proven. A new transmission is a lot more serious...
Oh man, stop now.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:05 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 89L98
Sorry for your troubles. A new Tranny in a Car w/ 79 miles? Some scary stories coming from this new generation. Good Luck w/ the fix.
What a crock.
There are no more "scary stories" with the C7 than there have been with any other generation of Corvette or other cars in general. Some of you "the sky is falling" people have ran out of ammunition because common, large scale major problems are pretty much non-existent. Therefore it's predictable a single failure will be dramatized.
S.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:32 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
What a crock.
There are no more "scary stories" with the C7 than there have been with any other generation of Corvette or other cars in general. Some of you "the sky is falling" people have ran out of ammunition because common, large scale major problems are pretty much non-existent. Therefore it's predictable a single failure will be dramatized.
S.
Snorman you believe all the "issues" are blown out of proportion?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:56 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Well, a brand new "untested" transmission to me is something i would be concerned about. Obviously, i was not concerned about the 2014 being new cause i bought one. But, i would have been hesitant to go with the 2015. I think you are underestimating issues that a new tranny can have.
I am guessing that most would consider the changes to the 2014 much more significant than those made to the 2015.

And most likely the problem with this transmission is a faulty part, etc. and not with the design of this unit after the many thousand of hours of testing that it has gone through.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

What a crock.
S.
well said....
Old 10-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

It's much easier now to be heard. The number of people like us on the internet and forums has grown enormously just since the introduction of the C6. At the intro of the C5, the number of buyers that had internet service were limited to Prodigy and AOL and such minor services. You could make the claim that all earlier models had no forum at all such as this to help people or if they felt like it, start rants.

So it's easy to see how the internet has made it super easy to rant when the poster doesn't have to get face to face with someone he disagrees with. If there were a small posting fee of even $.10, I wonder if the rants would decline .
What a crock.
S.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:07 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

After all the posts worrying about early C7 problems it's interesting to hear from somebody that was not worried about the car ... but has trans-phobia instead
Old 10-31-2014, 04:27 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Originally Posted by rramjet
I'm really disappointed and at this point my sense of confidence in the car is shattered.
I wouldn't get too upset about this. After a little time has passed odds are this will seem just a brief blip in an otherwise highly satisfying ownership experience. Because something went wrong with the transmission didn't mean things are more likely to go wrong with other parts of the car.

In defense of those wary of the new transmission's reliability, transmissions are more likely to have problems in the first year of a design than most other parts of the car, including the engine. I still wouldn't worry about it much personally, though.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

What a crock.
S.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:08 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Went to dealer today to get something out of the car and they were in the process of taking the trans out. Still no firm schedule on receipt of new one but tech said they want this one now. Bet they do.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 died

Old 10-31-2014, 08:22 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Yes, GM engineers will be taking a microscope to it, perhaps literally.

What have they given you to drive in the interim?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

rramjet,
They'll get it taken care of.

You guys forget the Mopar minivan tranny. My neighbor had a bad van losing more then one transmission. The only place who would trade him was a ....Mopar dealership. The first night at home with his new minivan...yup, transmission went out. He traded for a Honda after that!

Last edited by John Ulrich; 10-31-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

On a brand new trans, unfortunately there will be a few mishaps here and there, just like the motor failures we've seen thus far. Unfortunately on something that is designed and brought to life in a short period, you have to break a few eggs to bake a cake. Look how few failures there are in the 6Ls for example. They'll be better over time and the random failures will be just that. Hang in there, I wouldn't worry about it on the next one

Quick Reply: A8 died