Sponsored by:

Memory switch issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:55 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memory switch issue

Have had the C7 two weeks and can't seem to get the memory function to work. I set the system so that I push the button after engine start but I end up having to push the button 10-15 times before it works. I am holding the button down each time and when it finally works the seat and steering wheel does go to the preset position. It would seem that I should need to hold the button down only once. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:00 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Mine worked fine for eight months, then just quit last week. Neither the 1 nor the 2 button works.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:02 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Try moving the seat manually forward a little and see if the memory button now moves it (you might be back against the limit switch)

Then again, do the mirrors, steering column and other memory-stored items recall properly even though the seat may not?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:44 PM
IceMezzer
Racer

I am having the same problem with my 2015. Sometimes when I press the memory switch The steering wheel twitches but that's it. And other times it works. Is your problem similar? I have had my car for two weeks also what was your TPW week? Mine was 9/29
Old 10-31-2014, 09:14 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

First you have to have the emergency brake set, then when you press the starter the seat and wheel will adjust, if you set them up.

If your trying to use it without having the brake set, then press and hold the number you assigned to your driving position.

You have to keep one of the number buttons pushed in to move the adjustments without the brake set.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:57 PM
IceMezzer
Racer

Mines and automatic.. So when in Park it doesn't work....
Old 10-31-2014, 10:00 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Why did GM make the memory setting so difficult?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:05 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

IceMezzer mine does the twitching also.

Bob buzzy, I have tried with and without the emergency brake and it makes no difference.

Memory number two doesn't work at all. I think I have a trip to the dealer in my future.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by craig04c5
Coming from a C6, have been saying that for over a year (my std shift car delivered 1st week in October 2013!) I have been jokingly saying they must have outsourced the seat recall software overseas and someone who didn’t own a car wrote it! But perhaps not a joke! Have not understood how it was programed so when set with what one would think logical “Auto Recall On” it would go to the preset position when you opened the door (with a standard shift!) Then they made a recent software change and instead of making it like the C6 and other cars, i.e. hit the desired memory button once and the seat, steering wheel and mirrors returned with one push, they came up with another solution.
My workaround is satisfactory for me and quick. Auto Recall OFF then with a finger on my left hand I push and hold the desired recall button while, at the same time, use my right hand to pull over and buckle the seat belt. Works for me!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-31-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Ken said, you need to make sure the seat is not all the way back and hitting the back sensor. I had the same issue and this fixed mine. When i exit the car, the seat goes back (but you need to make sure it does not go all the back where it hits the limit switch) and the steering column goes up. When i get back in, and turn the ignition on, the seat, mirrors and steering column go to my setting #1 automatically. I have an A6. However, if the seat goes all the way back at the exit setting and hits the limit switch, it will not function properly when you get back in. So, when you set the exit setting, just make sure the seat is not all the way back hitting the back sensor.

This will also allow you to push the Setting 1 or 2 button and it will adjust the settings without having to hold it. The key to all of this is making sure your seat is not all the way back hitting the sensor. You can test it by moving the seat up just a tad and then while in park with the car on, hitting the setting 1 or 2 button and letting go. It should adjust to that setting automatically.

Last edited by bevo_87; 10-31-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:48 AM
ddewar
Cruising

I have owned our 2015 for 4 weeks and could not program # 1 to preform correctly. I read all the posts on the subject and still could not get it set. I did not want to do a system reset or disconnect the battery so I took the car to the dealer and they also could not get it to set. I noticed that my wife's fob worked correctly. I switched fobs with her and reprogrammed the # 1 setting and now it words every time. I then tried my wife's fob and it also worked correctly. It sounds strange, but that took care of the problem for me.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:15 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

Thanks for all the suggestions! After playing around I found that the suggestion to bump the seat forward a bit worked for this car. Will try to reprogram the easy out function so that it doesn't go back all the way back. I had a C5 for 10.5 years and a 2012 C6 for 2.5 years and never had any problems. GM have you ever heard of the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
Old 11-01-2014, 01:21 PM
ddewar
Cruising

To elaborate on my response above. Until I switched fobs trying to keep the seat from going completely back was the problem. After I moved the seat forward a little and set the easy exit for #1 it would come to my new set position. Then when I got out of the car it would move to my set on the easy exit position. The problem was that when I got back into the vehicle and hit the start button the seat would again slide completely back and stop. I could get the seat to go to my set driving position by a quick punch to the #1 setting, but until I switched fobs and programed the other fob to #1 I continued to have the seat going completely back when I engaging the start button. When I told the service rep at the dealer he stated that the fobs were programed #1 and #2. Don't have a clue if this is true or not.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:44 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by ddewar
To elaborate on my response above. Until I switched fobs trying to keep the seat from going completely back was the problem. After I moved the seat forward a little and set the easy exit for #1 it would come to my new set position. Then when I got out of the car it would move to my set on the easy exit position. The problem was that when I got back into the vehicle and hit the start button the seat would again slide completely back and stop. I could get the seat to go to my set driving position by a quick punch to the #1 setting, but until I switched fobs and programed the other fob to #1 I continued to have the seat going completely back when I engaging the start button. When I told the service rep at the dealer he stated that the fobs were programed #1 and #2. Don't have a clue if this is true or not.
I believe what the rep said is correct. And at least for the 2014 there are no numbers on the keys. Some have numbers on the removable key, which would not be logical since they could be swapped. Also I have two 1’s some have two 2’s and others a combo. Someone suggested these were simple mold numbers for the keys. That would be logical as you would have 25% both 1’s, 25% both 2’s and 50% 1’s and 2’s! However since the number means noting you could have a #2 that is actually a 1 that the car recognizes! Hope that makes sense! Assume when you push the memory recall button for the key in your pocket and it goes where you think it should, that is that number key! Now if both are in the car I believe the car recognizes the first one it sees!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-03-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:06 PM
bjhayes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IceMezzer
I am having the same problem with my 2015. Sometimes when I press the memory switch The steering wheel twitches but that's it. And other times it works. Is your problem similar? I have had my car for two weeks also what was your TPW week? Mine was 9/29
Mine was a TPW 9/29 as well and I'm having the exact same issue. They worked for a couple weeks and now doing just what you describe. I've reset exit position a little farther forward and that worked for a couple days and now they just don't work at all.

Mines a M7
Old 11-03-2014, 01:15 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by bevo_87
Like Ken said, you need to make sure the seat is not all the way back and hitting the back sensor. I had the same issue and this fixed mine.
This fixed the problem for me.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:47 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

One touch only works when the auto is in Park or the parking brake is set on the manual, could that be some of the problems people here are having? Maybe those with the Auto trans could try setting the parking brake to see if one touch (which is the same logic as auto return) starts working again.

Get notified of new replies

To Memory switch issue

Old 12-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Stephen Nelson
Heel & Toe

Default Memory seat

Originally Posted by JerryU
Coming from a C6, have been saying that for over a year (my std shift car delivered 1st week in October 2013!) I have been jokingly saying they must have outsourced the seat recall software overseas and someone who didn’t own a car wrote it! But perhaps not a joke! Have not understood how it was programed so when set with what one would think logical “Auto Recall On” it would go to the preset position when you opened the door (with a standard shift!) Then they made a recent software change and instead of making it like the C6 and other cars, i.e. hit the desired memory button once and the seat, steering wheel and mirrors returned with one push, they came up with another solution.
My workaround is satisfactory for me and quick. Auto Recall OFF then with a finger on my left hand I push and hold the desired recall button while, at the same time, use my right hand to pull over and buckle the seat belt. Works for me!
I also have a manual transmission and have had the update.
The memory function will now work by setting it to On Start.
You do not actually have to start the car. Just push the button without pushing the clutch and everything should move to the programmed positions but the car won't start.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by craig04c5
For sure, my Jeep is easy peasy, but it doesn't move the seat and wheel for entering either.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:59 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
For sure, my Jeep is easy peasy, but it doesn't move the seat and wheel for entering either.
On our Lincoln and my 04 Vette just touch the handle or hit the unlock button on the remote and the seats, steering wheel and mirrors adjusts to the key fob for each driver. It's not rocket science for God's sake.

Quick Reply: Memory switch issue