Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 package and magnetic ride control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 PM
26sonic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z51 package and magnetic ride control?

on my c6 if you purchased the f-55 mag ride control it included the z-51 package, why are they 2 different options now? if i order the mag ride control what is in this package?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

You can't order mag ride unless you order Z51. FE4 (MSRC) includes Performance Traction Management.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:51 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

What is the benefit of the PTM? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Performance Traction Management (Z51 with Magnetic Selective Ride Control)

Performance Traction Management integrates the Traction Control, StabiliTrak, and Selective Ride Control systems to provide improved and consistent performance when cornering. The amount of available engine power is based on the mode selected, track conditions, driver skill, and the radius of each corner. This light is on when the vehicle is in the Performance Traction Management Mode.

In order to select this optional handling mode, the vehicle mode must be Track. Then quickly press the TCS/StabiliTrak g button on the center console two times.

PERF TRAC 1 - WET ACTIVE HANDLING ON displays in the DIC.
To experience the performance benefit of this system, after entering a curve and at the point where you would normally start to increase acceleration, fully press the accelerator pedal. The Performance Traction Management system will modify the level of engine power for a smooth and consistent corner exit.

To select a mode while in Performance Traction Management, turn the Selective Ride Control/Performance Traction Management MODE SELECT **** on the center console. The Performance Traction Management system contains five modes. These modes are selected by turning the Selective Ride Control/Performance Traction Management MODE SELECT **** on the center console. Scroll up or down through modes 15 by turning the MODE SELECT **** to the right or left. The following is a DIC display description and the recommended usage of each mode:

PERF TRAC 1 WET ACTIVE HANDLING ON

. Intended for all driver skill levels.
. Wet or damp conditions only not intended for use in heavy rain or standing water.
. StabiliTrak is on and engine power is reduced based on conditions.

PERF TRAC 2 DRY ACTIVE HANDLING ON

. For use by less experienced drivers or while learning a new track.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is on and engine power is slightly reduced.

PERF TRAC 3 SPORT ACTIVE HANDLING ON

. For use by drivers who are familiar with the track.
. Dry conditions only.
. Requires more driving skill than mode 2.
. StabiliTrak is on and more engine power is available than in mode 2.

PERF TRAC 4 SPORT ACTIVE HANDLING OFF

. For use by drivers who are familiar with the track.
. Dry conditions only.
. Requires more driving skill than modes 2 or 3.
. StabiliTrak is off and available engine power is the same as mode 3.

PERF TRAC 5 RACE ACTIVE HANDLING OFF

. For use by experienced drivers who are familiar with the track.
. Dry conditions only.
. Requires more driving skill than in other modes.
. StabiliTrak is off and engine power is available for maximum cornering speed.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get a Z51 the mag ride is an extra available option but it is well worth it for the handling vs comfort based on when you want it. I think GM should have made the dry sump oil system an option with the Z51 instead of standard though since I don't plan to track my car and would rather not use 10 qts of oil for each oil change.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:05 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 26sonic
on my c6 if you purchased the f-55 mag ride control it included the z-51 package, why are they 2 different options now? if i order the mag ride control what is in this package?
On the C6, the mag ride option did not include the Z51 option. They were two separate options.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:10 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
If you get a Z51 the mag ride is an extra available option but it is well worth it for the handling vs comfort based on when you want it. I think GM should have made the dry sump oil system an option with the Z51 instead of standard though since I don't plan to track my car and would rather not use 10 qts of oil for each oil change.
Because of the higher lateral g's that the Z51 pulls, GM decided that they didn't want the warranty problems due to oil starvation that could occur if a Z51 without the dry sump system were offered.

There would be no way that every person that ordered the Z51 option without the dry sump would be like you and never push the car into high lateral g's situations.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
If you get a Z51 the mag ride is an extra available option but it is well worth it for the handling vs comfort based on when you want it.
I just ordered a Z51 A8 and the MSRP is already at $69k. I doubt I'll use the car at the track (if for no other reason, my insurance won't cover it) so the track advantages mentioned by Zymurgy don't seem to apply to me.

Given that, are there $1800 worth of benefits that I could use from the Magnetic Ride Control? What percentage of people order the MRC? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:13 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
I just ordered a Z51 A8 and the MSRP is already at $69k. I doubt I'll use the car at the track (if for no other reason, my insurance won't cover it) so the track advantages mentioned by Zymurgy don't seem to apply to me.

Given that, are there $1800 worth of benefits that I could use from the Magnetic Ride Control? What percentage of people order the MRC? Thanks.
IMO, I believe you could save yourself $1795 and do without the MRC. I know of several very good trackers who don't have it. If you won't track it, don't get it.

My .02
Old 11-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BIC

I love being able to adjust the suspension for different driving conditions. I normally keep it in Sport mode, but if I'm on poor roads (rough, uneven, pot holes), I'll switch to Tour mode. Tour mode is also good if you're doing some long trips.

Final, correct 2014 production numbers have not been released yet, but about two-thirds (around 64%) of Z51's were ordered with MSRC.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:26 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
IMO, I believe you could save yourself $1795 and do without the MRC. I know of several very good trackers who don't have it. If you won't track it, don't get it.

My .02
Do you actually own a C7 with MRSC? I do and I would never own this car without it.

It IS NOT a track only option nor is it a just to get a softer ride on the highway. It's an advanced suspension that allows the user to dial in the mode that best suites their needs. In addition, it's always active and adapts to the road in milliseconds.

This video is 2 versions old and is impressive. The system in the C7 is significantly improved.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I love being able to adjust the suspension for different driving conditions. I normally keep it in Sport mode, but if I'm on poor roads (rough, uneven, pot holes), I'll switch to Tour mode. Tour mode is also good if you're doing some long trips.

Final, correct 2014 production numbers have not been released yet, but about two-thirds (around 64%) of Z51's were ordered with MSRC.
there's no way I would get Z51 without adding MSRC
Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have regrets about springing for the NAV/PDR but absolutely none about getting MSRC. Being able to change the ride with a flick of a switch is a great option in my opinion and as others have stated it does a lot more than just that.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:37 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

My .02
Actually, IMHO the biggest benefit of the MRC is on the street. The ability of the suspension to adjust in microseconds to changing street conditions is the most valuable point of the MRC. It allows you to comfortably drive on the typically poor street surfaces of most US cities.

BTE - this opinion based on using the MRC in my '13 427 vs the Z51 in my '06 convertible.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by mjw930
Do you actually own a C7 with MRSC? I do and I would never own this car without it.

It IS NOT a track only option nor is it a just to get a softer ride on the highway. It's an advanced suspension that allows the user to dial in the mode that best suites their needs. In addition, it's always active and adapts to the road in milliseconds. ]

I have a C7 Z51 2LT. I also have an upgraded suspension C6 (shocks/swaybars) but no magnetic ride/Z51.

The MRC is a must-have for daily driving IMO. I like how I can have plushy ride with some body roll or complete stiffness no roll and handles like a go-kart. My C6 handles very good (equivalent to sport mode on MRC C7). My friend took a drive of both cars. He road races an Evo X and he has a significantly upgraded suspension so he's used to something that can take corners...fast. He feels the C6 needed the upgrade I gave it and feels it handles great. The C7 he did one of these.... . He couldn't believe for RWD how planted the car was to the road, especially under load.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Ltespd
Instructor

My .02
IMHO its well worth the $1800. This is the 1st sports car I've had that my wife actually likes the ride.(Touring mode)
Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltespd
IMHO its well worth the $1800. This is the 1st sports car I've had that my wife actually likes the ride.(Touring mode)

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 package and magnetic ride control?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltespd
well said. My wife and I drve 9000 miles this year and it was very comfortable.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Jocdoc
Heel & Toe

I have a 15' z51 2lt. I debated for on whether or not I wanted Mrc, an I can honestly say I am thrilled that I got it. It makes a huge difference for performance but also for daily drive. I manly drive in sport mode but it is awesome to be able to switch modes depending on my mood for driving an terrain. Money well spent!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:13 PM
26sonic
Racer

how would the car ride with the mrc and no z51 package?

Quick Reply: Z51 package and magnetic ride control?