Sponsored by:

EXPEL vs. SunTek

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 AM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Default EXPEL vs. SunTek

I am in the process of getting estimates to have a protective film put on my new C7. One of the providers does both EXPEL and SunTek film installs and is currently having a special on Suntek installs.

I have heard a lot of postive things here about EXPEL but not much about SunTek. I am looking for input and experiences related too EXPEL vs Suntek to help me make a decision about which product to use????

By the way, my new C7 is an AW Vert

Last edited by pkadams; 11-06-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Both are self-healing films. From what I've heard, SunTek is somewhat easier to install. SunTek has a 5 year warranty, Xpel has a 10 year warranty. Be sure you specify Xpel Ultimate.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:58 AM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have Suntek on mine and really like it. They are both self healing products and do a great job. I think price would distinguish the 2 products for me. I'm sure others will have an opinion. I will say that I think Expel is more popular (at least on this forum).

You might PM "Texasvenom" on this forum - he is my installer and uses both. He could probably give you pro's/con's of each
Old 11-06-2014, 02:08 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

My installer uses both. I ended up with the SunTek based upon his recommendations. As was said, it has a shorter warranty but it easier to install. For my installation SunTek was significantly cheaper. My installer prefers the SunTek in darker cars, but I believe the Xpel on lighter cars. The Xpel Ultimate is thicker (which I think is the reason for the extra cost, the harder install and such)
Old 11-06-2014, 05:10 PM
gkwpnut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of each type on my cars. Both look great and performed well to this point. The installation is much more critical than the film.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:42 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pkadams
I am in the process of getting estimates to have a protective film put on my new C7. One of the providers does both EXPEL and SunTek film installs and is currently having a special on Suntek installs.
Does anybody know the name of a good - really good - installer in the Seattle/Tacoma area?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:47 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I chose Suntek over Expel Ultimate (I was offered same price) after seeing the display on my installer's wall showing the finished installation of both films. Based on the display the Suntek showed the higher clarity. I felt that my C7 came with enough lack of clarity from the factory with all the orange peel. I am not concerned about the shorter warranty as my C6 clear bra (3M film) lasted over 6 yrs without a hitch and I feel the modern films are superior....
Old 11-06-2014, 07:26 PM
richelu
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
I chose Suntek over Expel Ultimate (I was offered same price) after seeing the display on my installer's wall showing the finished installation of both films. Based on the display the Suntek showed the higher clarity. I felt that my C7 came with enough lack of clarity from the factory with all the orange peel. I am not concerned about the shorter warranty as my C6 clear bra (3M film) lasted over 6 yrs without a hitch and I feel the modern films are superior....
Originally Posted by z28lt1
My installer uses both. I ended up with the SunTek based upon his recommendations. As was said, it has a shorter warranty but it easier to install. For my installation SunTek was significantly cheaper. My installer prefers the SunTek in darker cars, but I believe the Xpel on lighter cars. The Xpel Ultimate is thicker (which I think is the reason for the extra cost, the harder install and such)

The dealer I am going with here in the Atlanta area installs both SunTek and XPEL. He also mentioned using SunTek on darker cars too as it is more forgiving. He advised XPEL on lighter cars as it resists yellowing more than SunTek.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 PM
niemczyk
Heel & Toe

Default expel ultimate

any installers in orlando area
Old 11-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Xpel is very resistant to nicks and damage. What I do notice is that there's some slight wrinkles here and there that aren't that noticeable unless you are looking for them. I hear Suntek is less prone to this. I'm just happy I got a good PPF on cause I can drive on the highway with minimal concerns.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
Talk to Ryan Fries
Ryan @ OrlandoWindowTint.com
171 Obrien Rd
Casselberry 32730

They do both Xpel and 3M. Their installer is amazing. They are doing Xpel on 2 Z51's including mine. Full hood, fenders, headlight covers and bumper cover just under 2g. PM me if you want more info.
Why didn't you get mirrors, A-pillars, rocker panels and door sills. The rocker panels are the most likely area to sustain extensive rock damage unless you have side skirts. And the sill plates get scratched up by careless people dragging their shoes (especially heels) across the surface.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
Why didn't you get mirrors, A-pillars, rocker panels and door sills. The rocker panels are the most likely area to sustain extensive rock damage unless you have side skirts. And the sill plates get scratched up by careless people dragging their shoes (especially heels) across the surface.
Right on Aces. I am having the mirrors and door sills done. Just forgot to add them to the list.

Skirts are going on next. I'm still trying to decide the best best bang for the buck on them. C7Carbon just released their Z06 style skits but I don't know how they mount yet.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:46 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Found a place here in Mesa AZ with a good reputation and they also use Suntek. They said they find it to be more consistent in quality and not as likely to leave an orange peel look. Front fenders, headlights, mirrors, front of rear wheel wells and the side of the tail for $1K.

Last edited by rramjet; 11-15-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:58 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Any recommended installers for the San Diego area??
Old 11-16-2014, 01:26 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

What about the factory option for 2015, "Clear Protective Film Package", MSRP $1300? Anybody try that yet?
Old 11-16-2014, 01:49 AM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BIC
What about the factory option for 2015, "Clear Protective Film Package", MSRP $1300? Anybody try that yet?
No Longer an option
Old 11-16-2014, 02:06 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by ckwhite
Does anybody know the name of a good - really good - installer in the Seattle/Tacoma area?
Accutint Bellevue did my wife's Benz with expel ultimate, very nice job.

http://www.accutintbellevue.com/

Get notified of new replies

To EXPEL vs. SunTek

Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM
bperr99116
7th Gear

Can anyone give me an idea of what the price should be for what the Sun Tek installer described as a "complete body wrap"?

Complete body wrap covers full bumper, full hood, full fenders, full rockers, backs of mirrors and door cups.

Send me a PM or email me at bperr99116@aol.com.

Thx.

Brent
Old 04-04-2015, 01:35 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bperr99116
Can anyone give me an idea of what the price should be for what the Sun Tek installer described as a "complete body wrap"?

Complete body wrap covers full bumper, full hood, full fenders, full rockers, backs of mirrors and door cups.

Send me a PM or email me at bperr99116@aol.com.

Thx.

Brent
There is a whole lot more to a "full body wrap" on a C7. Check this XPEL link to see components and MSRP for materials, which somewhat coincides with actual installed prices with installer discounting the materials from MSRP:

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...79&series=1806

Think I was quoted over $3,000 for a full wrap. For what you listed, should be $1500-2000.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 PM
K9gordy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rramjet
Found a place here in Mesa AZ with a good reputation and they also use Suntek. They said they find it to be more consistent in quality and not as likely to leave an orange peel look. Front fenders, headlights, mirrors, front of rear wheel wells and the side of the tail for $1K.
Which business did you use in Mesa? I'm looking to get this done when my C7 gets here. Debating between Suntek and Xpel.

Quick Reply: EXPEL vs. SunTek