Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by murtro
i have read fairly extensively on the differences that Z51 brings. i have no intention on tracking the car, but as this is a major purchase and i hope to keep this car for a very long time, i want to order it exactly the way i want and have no regrets.

i'm looking at 2LT Z51 vs. Non - and after you add in the seemingly required (from what I read it is the way to go if you order a Z51) magnetic ride control and performance exhaust, the price difference here in Canada is $8k! Thats a lot of bank.

So my question is - in comparison what is the ride in the non-Z51 like?? is it similar to the Z51 in Touring mode, or in sport mode or something different all together? Any non purchasers now regret not getting it??

Thanks in advance!

I seriously thought it over to get a C7 with Z51 as my '05 C6 had Z51. I kept that C6 for over 6 1/2 years and it never ever came near a track. No big deal as it was only about a $1700 option back then. Now it is much more serious change especially with the Mag Ride.

So I got a Base C7 Coupe expecting to keep it a long time unless a C7 GS is offered in 201X?. It rides like a dream, a great touring car for over a year now. The money I saved was redirected to 3LT and a bank to buy a few mods spread out to keep my C7 fresh to me over the years. Top of the list are: Z51 F/R Sway bars, 19/20 Black Machine Faced wheels/tires (ride may suffer) and the GM High Rise Spoiler. No under hood mods this time.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:16 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I went with the base convertible, M7, 2LT and navigation. I am planning on trading in 2017, first year deprecation is saved by not getting Z51 and Magnetic ride. I had magnetic ride on the C6 I traded, with the new frame and suspension of the C7, really havn't missed it. At over 2,000 miles, have not even come close to the base car's limits (100 mph, .75G). As for ride; somewhere around tour and sport modes. NPP; didn't really want it, stock exhaust is a lot better than most admit to. I will order the base car again, "unchanged" maybe go with the 3LT interior?.
The non-NPP isnt really bad, my neighbors enjoy it I'm sure, but the stock exhaust on my '13 RAM hemi pickup sounds better inside and out. The C7 is just pretty flat and unexciting, its not Buick-like or anything like that but it could have been a little better. To be fair its a little better than stock C5 and C6 exhausts.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
The non-NPP isnt really bad, my neighbors enjoy it I'm sure, but the stock exhaust on my '13 RAM hemi pickup sounds better inside and out. The C7 is just pretty flat and unexciting, its not Buick-like or anything like that but it could have been a little better. To be fair its a little better than stock C5 and C6 exhausts.
It is almost $2,000 saved toward the next Corvette. I personally like the base wheels, a big improvement over the polished wheels my C6 had. I was pleasantly surprised, even my dealer commented favorably, my car was the first base Corvette they had ordered. (Z51 w MRC @ $8,000 + NPP @ $1,200 = $9,200 towards the next new Corvette, premium paint saves another $1,000)!!!

Last edited by Larry/car; 11-09-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:33 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Glen e
I just did 3100 miles in a base car - loved every mile. I bought the "base" car when there were no constraints and would do it again. When I'm going long distance I moiunt my std 18/19 wheels/tires, when I'm home around town, my optional 19/20 wheels/tires go on.
I know from another thread you installed the F/R Z51 Sway bars.

Glen e: "my experience as well, it "darts" better at interstate speed to avoid a tire track etc and it recovers quicker gong over a train track, etc at moderate speed...I def would do it again. absolutley no diff in ride quality - my car is a long distance tourer. it s a 45 min install and has nothing to do with a auth dealer, it's nuts and bolts, a kid could do it..all the parts courtesy of zbrett here:"

My question to you is what are the ride/handling differences you've experienced between the Base Sway Bars 18/19 wheels and tires vs the Z51 Sway Bars 18/19 W/T vs the Z51 Sway Bars 19/20 W/T? I would think the W/T differences would contribute significantly to ride/handling changes. Thanks
Old 11-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
I know from another thread you installed the F/R Z51 Sway bars.

Glen e: "my experience as well, it "darts" better at interstate speed to avoid a tire track etc and it recovers quicker gong over a train track, etc at moderate speed...I def would do it again. absolutley no diff in ride quality - my car is a long distance tourer. it s a 45 min install and has nothing to do with a auth dealer, it's nuts and bolts, a kid could do it..all the parts courtesy of zbrett here:"

My question to you is what are the ride/handling differences you've experienced between the Base Sway Bars 18/19 wheels and tires vs the Z51 Sway Bars 18/19 W/T vs the Z51 Sway Bars 19/20 W/T? I would think the W/T differences would contribute significantly to ride/handling changes. Thanks
none... but my *** is dead - I don't acutely look for those things, seriously I can't tell...
Old 11-09-2014, 11:39 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The standard c7 is the performance handling and braking of the previous generation c6 z51 so obviously no excuses are needed.

Still that said no question I would once again order my next corvette with the z51 option again. This time I'd have to try the much hyped MRC shocks...and call it a day.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:43 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I would agree with those who say get the base model. Unless you drive both the base and the Z51, Mag Ride, you will never know the difference if any. I have a '14 with Z51, mag ride,NPP and M7. I intended to track mine as I did my'09 Z06 the last 4 years. However, my local track was beaten up by last year's winter and I only got out there once in June with the Z. Now, it's gone and the prep for the C7 to track it is daunting for me if I want to attend 5-6 HPDEs.

In another recent post, many members praise the Z51 with MRSC as being a better DD and a couple thought I was off the mark with my opinion but I truly believe you can't go wrong with the base and you'll save a few bucks for other options.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:44 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Glen e
none... but my *** is dead - I don't acutely look for those things, seriously I can't tell...
Thanks! Like wise mine is dead too.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:46 AM
murtro
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C7Jake
nope
Great looking car....looks like you sunk the Z51 money into the shoes!

Old 11-09-2014, 11:56 AM
murtro
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LincolnUSA
here is what I concluded, unless you plan to track the car, there is no need to buy a Z51. The ride is stiffer on a Z51 and I plan to use mine as a touring car. Therefore, I ordered the ZF1 appearance package. Gets you the bigger tires and wheels and the car looks identical from the outside except the brake calipers. Of course different suspension components underneath.

One persons opinion. I think the trick is to order the car you want so there will be no regrets later.
Good advice....I'm not sure if ZF1 is available to us Canadians? It doesn't come up on the GM Canada Build and Price at least. Something I will check out, as I like the look of the bigger wheels and spoiler....personal preference I know.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:10 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a 2015 2lt Z51 Coupe mag ride.

My first choice was a non Z51, but I wanted the npp, spoiler, and wheels. The cost of those options was $3,195 vs $5,000 for the Z51.

So for the extra $1,805 I got the electronic traction, better braking system with slotted rotors, Heavy duty sway bars front and rear with some other goodies, the package also included the dry sump oil system which adds some safety on hard turns onto my street.

I did add mag ride to soften the ride for normal driving. The car while I own it will never see a track, but will be on of the fastest on the on ramp.

My logic is the car when trade will bring back about 50% of the investment.

I never drove a non Z51 except for my 2 C6 vettes which were non Z51. The car rides unbelievable and the performance is fantastic. I did get the A8 which shifts even better than my BMW 435i
Old 11-09-2014, 01:00 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm glad I stayed with the Z51. I bought NONz51 last time.
I ended up added springs, shocks, brake rotors and sway bars.
Still had no Z51.

What you receive is a deal when you buy the z51. This time
I wanted the Z51. WAS Only added 2800.00 higher now.

More important to get it then skip the mag ride to save money
if you want to save. The return on the mag ride is less.
The wheels and tires are worth the difference let alone all the other
stuff you get. The car looks much better to the trained eye also.

The Z51 is a long list of goodies,
Old 11-09-2014, 01:10 PM
c7dreamer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same concerns as the OP. I have never owned a vette or any fast car! I have a SUV now and have never ever driven anything over like 200HP or whatever a Lexus 250 has.

I have wanted the C7 since the day I saw it. When I found out the appearance package was available I thought that would be perfect for someone like me who just wants the bad *** look without the extra money or hassle.

I ordered mine this week and did opt for the Z51. I think it is the right choice because I do want higher resale value and because I don't want any regrets. I drive my cars fast even though they weren't meant to go fast!

I figured for the extra few thousand all the options are worth it. I am a little bummed to hear about extra dust, more expensive oil changes, etc but it sounds like we could either go Z51 or non Z51 and be fine either way!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:21 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

No regrets with 2014 Non Z51.

Everyone's needs and though process are different, but for me....
I don't track the car so Z51 was not "mandatory". It came down to whether I wanted it or not.

Pricing/Resale:
To me the MSRC is a must with Z51 from a function and resale standpoint. At the time (back in March) the Z51s were not being discounted as much as the Non Z51s. The additional $7k would have come back to bite in 3-4 years when I sold the car.I couldn't justify the additional $7k difference in price between Z51 with MSRC vs Non Z51.

Wheels:
The Z51 wheels looked slightly better to me in pictures than the non Z51 wheels, so I needed to see the 5 spoke wheels in person. The 5 spoke wheels just looked so much better in person than they do in pics, so that made the choice to go Non Z51 even easier.
In addition, the added benefit of no brake dust is nice.

Spoiler:
I liked the Z51 spoiler much better than the small spoiler on the Non Z51, so added Z51 spoiler as an option.

NPP:
Did not have NPP on my old C6 Z51 and told myself I'd never buy a Corvette without it, so made sure to get NPP. Well worth the $1100 and good for resale.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-09-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:33 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

My 2006 C6 Convertible had the Z51 package and a Corsa Sport Exhaust. I went from that to my C7 2LT Coupe with Carbon Fiber Dash, NPP, Splash Guards, Z51 Spoiler, QX1 18/19 black wheels, EYT Carbon Badges and Z51 Sway Bars. The Carbon Fiber dash and Z51 sway bars were added after I bought the car. Absolutely no regrets. The only thing I might change in the future are bigger rims/tires.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:11 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

To the OP. You might as well get the Z51, as almost everyone else with a BASE car is adding; suspension upgrades, spoilers, upgraded wheels and tires. Then you will already have cooler looking and better brake rotors, better rear end, NPP included on Z51 for 2015 etc, etc, etc.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought about the z51, but I went with a 3LT non-z51 instead and have no regrets. I'm planning on going with aftermarket wheels, anyways, and if I wanted to upgrade the suspension, I'd just go with coil overs. As far as brakes, I think the difference between the base and z51 is negligible, but z06 brake kits will be available soon if one wants to upgrade (steel and carbon ceramic).

Last edited by Mr Guns; 11-09-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any non-Z51 buyers now have regrets?

Old 11-09-2014, 02:23 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no regrets.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had both. Started with a 2LT black Z51 M7 and couldn't stand the clutch. Sold it and ordered a 2LT ZF1 NRB A6 and have really enjoyed it for the 3 months I've had it. I don't need the Z51 as I don't track and ordered initially because I preferred the twin spoke 19" and 20" wheels. The ride is slightly more refined in the ZF1, but still provides plenty of "feel" when you want it in "Sport" or "Track" without the harsher ride. Of course, other options are good too; in my case it's the NPP, Nav, painted Calipers. If you don't track, you won't miss the Z51 differences and you'll save on oil changes too. Do get the 2LT if you want HUD, heated/ventilated Seats, upgraded interior, Universal remote, 10 speaker Bose, etc. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2014, 03:04 PM
C7cmnthru
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by murtro
i have read fairly extensively on the differences that Z51 brings. i have no intention on tracking the car, but as this is a major purchase and i hope to keep this car for a very long time, i want to order it exactly the way i want and have no regrets.

i'm looking at 2LT Z51 vs. Non - and after you add in the seemingly required (from what I read it is the way to go if you order a Z51) magnetic ride control and performance exhaust, the price difference here in Canada is $8k! Thats a lot of bank.

So my question is - in comparison what is the ride in the non-Z51 like?? is it similar to the Z51 in Touring mode, or in sport mode or something different all together? Any non purchasers now regret not getting it??

Thanks in advance!

Pretty happy with base. Previous c5 and c6 were Z51's. Didnt think I needed this time since I have never tracked. Just wanted what I thought was a better ride and handling. Felt the C7 base was close to the Z51 C6 so I didnt get it. Just wish I could have gotten Z51 wheels. Bottom line. I would get the base again.

Quick Reply: Any non-Z51 buyers now have regrets?