Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any non-Z51 buyers now have regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:08 PM
dennismur
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a non Z51. Since having the car I added the spoiler, and did not care for any of the factory wheels so I went with after market wheels at 19/20. The car performs on the street as a Z51 and it looks like it has the Z51 option. IMO unless you plan to road race the car the base is more than adequate. I ordered the optional exhaust and could not be more pleased.

Last edited by dennismur; 11-09-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 11-09-2014, 04:52 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I have to laugh at the thought that a so called "base" is like .... accepting defeat! I wanted the softest ride....I purchased a STINGRAY!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:59 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm happy with my 'base' model, with NPP. The ride is a little softer than my Z06, which is actually a nice change of pace. Still corners like it's on rails .. and if the slight sway in the corners bothers you, you can add the Z51 sway bars .. The Z51 stuff is cool and a great value .. but I just didn't need it. My car will never see competitive driving ..
Old 11-09-2014, 06:08 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I doubt you'll find anyone who has regrets for 2 reasons

1. A lot of people didn't get the Z51 option for a reason other than cost. Most did it for not tracking/driving the car that hard, value a softer ride or aren't the Z51 type or whatever. I think you get what I mean. So they got exactly what they wanted to begin with

2. Even if people who did have a previous Z51 or whatever, the C7 is just so damn good that they are probably still very happy with the car. Remember they try to get a base car of the current gen almost as good/as good as a previous gen Z51. They may not even know what they are missing regardless. I doubt many people would be convinced they made a mistake on a 65k car or publically have regret etc etc

Not slamming anyone I just don't think you'll get any/many regrets about the base C7 at all for the above reasons if you get what I'm trying to say.

That doesn't mean at all that the Z51 isn't totally worth it for the people that get it.

Last edited by jdhommert; 11-09-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:41 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhommert

1. A lot of people didn't get the Z51 option for a reason other than cost. Most did it for not tracking/driving the car that hard, value a softer ride or aren't the Z51 type or whatever. I think you get what I mean. So they got exactly what they wanted to begin with

2. Even if people who did have a previous Z51 or whatever, the C7 is just so damn good that they are probably still very happy with the car. Remember they try to get a base car of the current gen almost as good/as good as a previous gen Z51. They may not even know what they are missing regardless. I doubt many people would be convinced they made a mistake on a 65k car or publically have regret etc etc

Not slamming anyone I just don't think you'll get any/many regrets about the base C7 at all for the above reasons if you get what I'm trying to say.

That doesn't mean at all that the Z51 isn't totally worth it for the people that get it.
There might be some people that got a base car Non Z51 that regret it, but won't admit it.

There might be some people that got a base car with Z51 and regret it, but won't admit it.

However, it seems the OP got some good, sound logical insight from the non Z51 owners. That should hopefully help him make a decision.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-09-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:05 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

There is a "SIMPLE SOLUTION" to this decision... BUY ONE OF EACH!!!!:che ers:
Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Greenkirby21
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not really, but then again I haven't drive a Z51 so I don't know!

Back when I got the car they weren't accepting the suppliers discount on Z51 models, as they were backordered. I went ahead and got a non-z51. I plan on spending the rest on mods, and since I don't track my car, I think I should be ok!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I simply got the best that I could afford, every single performance option, all the comforts I wanted, none of the fluff that didn't add to the performance of the car....extra leather, NAV, not needed....better stereo, heated/cooled seats, my color of choice, added security, wanted so I went with the 2LT Z51 and I will never regret it.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
agreed, a couple advantages you don't know you have, until you live with the car

1. the brakes do not dust at all you can see, I can clean my wheels monthly if i wanted, and still look good. The z51 wheels are dirty almost immediate on rolling.
2. the oil $ for a change is significantly cheaper as it's 3 quarts less
3. the car never burps oil, the level is not so important to get right
4. the car is a lot less complex long term with things I really don't need
5. the discs don't rust on sitting, made of some fancy unobtainium stuff...
Right on point. I have the base A6 coupe and have zero complaints. Wouldn’t have it any other way.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I never plan to track or race my C7, so I did not see the need for spending the extra money for the Z51 package. Order the car according to how you are going to drive it.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:20 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhommert

AND 3. LOTS of buyers didn't get the Z51 because, for quite some time, the Z51 Option was on constraint. So buyers switched their orders to non Z51 cars, and dealers ordered in non Z51 cars for inventory, cuz that's what they could get and they wanted the new Stingray.

Lastly these 'suveys' are heavily skewed. Ask non Z51 owners if that's the car you should get. and they say yes. Ask Z51 owners if that's the car you should get and they say yes. Every owner an give you multiple justifications for what they own being the right choice. DRIVE BOTH let your instincts and *** be your guide.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:12 PM
ahesq
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let me put this whole issue to rest.
I had no budget or time table on delivery when buying my C7. The Z51 was interesting as an option, but I could not get around the harsh ride of the Z51 while in sport mode (which in my opinion is the best mode to drive in, NPP exhaust wise). So, I ordered and bought a non-Z51 3LT with every option available, except the CF dash which was was on constraint. I ordered the dash separately from my dealer's parts dept., It arrived in 2 weeks, and I actually saved over $450.00 by installing it myself using a youtube video.
The ZF1 option is great for 2015, but it was not afforded me in my 2014 model.
Now that the Z06 is coming, Z51 option is almost is moot for those who actually track their car.
So, other than the wheels (which you can now get with the ZF1 option), the Z51 option is simply not worth the numerously reported headaches, even if it came as a zero cost option.

Last edited by ahesq; 11-09-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-09-2014, 10:20 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

The answer to your question is NO. I don't miss what I never had.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:52 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

My 09 was a Z51 and my 08 was a none Z51, no big deal. I could of ordered Z51 this time but went ZF1 and it handles nice and looks great. Went ZF1 for the wheels and tires, you well be pleased.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:24 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I'm glad I stayed with the Z51. I bought NONz51 last time.
I ended up added springs, shocks, brake rotors and sway bars.
Still had no Z51.

What you receive is a deal when you buy the z51. This time
I wanted the Z51. WAS Only added 2800.00 higher now.

More important to get it then skip the mag ride to save money
if you want to save. The return on the mag ride is less.
The wheels and tires are worth the difference let alone all the other
stuff you get. The car looks much better to the trained eye also.

The Z51 is a long list of goodies,
Originally Posted by c7dreamer
I have the exact same concerns as the OP. I have never owned a vette or any fast car! I have a SUV now and have never ever driven anything over like 200HP or whatever a Lexus 250 has.

I have wanted the C7 since the day I saw it. When I found out the appearance package was available I thought that would be perfect for someone like me who just wants the bad *** look without the extra money or hassle.

I ordered mine this week and did opt for the Z51. I think it is the right choice because I do want higher resale value and because I don't want any regrets. I drive my cars fast even though they weren't meant to go fast!

I figured for the extra few thousand all the options are worth it. I am a little bummed to hear about extra dust, more expensive oil changes, etc but it sounds like we could either go Z51 or non Z51 and be fine either way!
Originally Posted by clegg
To the OP. You might as well get the Z51, as almost everyone else with a BASE car is adding; suspension upgrades, spoilers, upgraded wheels and tires. Then you will already have cooler looking and better brake rotors, better rear end, NPP included on Z51 for 2015 etc, etc, etc.

Better to the "trained" eye?

Higher resale? Maybe/maybe not. The same people who wouldn't care to get a new z51 probably won't pay you more for your used one.

Almost everyone with a base is adding upgrades?!

OP...my c6 was a z51. Decided not to go that route this time. No regrets at all. I have a 3LT 7 spd. That being said (1) I probably would have been perfectly happy with a 1LT. (2) All the z51 vs base crap was not an issue in the c6 world. It was z06 vs "regular". It's like the c7 created this whole big "class" difference, and what's even more funny is it's not even about price. I could have had a z51 for much less than my "base" model.

Anywho, love love love mine and no regrets. My extras are: chrome wheels, spoiler, NPP and a few cosmetics (stinger stripe, door sills and spoiler). I also have the carbon fiber dash but it's nothing I'd pay extra for if it hadn't already been on the car I bought.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murtro
i have no intention on tracking the car,
Congrats! You've really answered your own question. You don't "need" it, unless you will spend your entire ownership wishing you had it just to know it was there. Whatever you get, you'll love.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:18 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
The answer to your question is NO. I don't miss what I never had.
Good answer But not the one the forum is looking for.Thank you very much.....Ohh Be careful around those corners..

Last edited by DALE#3; 11-10-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any non-Z51 buyers now have regrets?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

No regrets at all. Liked the look without the spoiler, and still very much feel that way. If a z51 was offered without the rear spoiler I might have thought about it, but my preference for no spoiler is so strong that there was no way I was buying the z51. Just depends on what floats your boat.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Isn't the Z51 still a base model as the Z51 is an option, right? I think the only ones who didn't get the base will be the Z06 owners.

I will hopefully be ordering a C7 in the Spring and I will not be checking the Z51 option box. I doubt I will ever reach the performance limits of the non Z51 C7.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM
snappy2u
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
No regrets at all - the base car rides really well (much smoother than the Z51) and handles as good as you could want; and I personally like the 5 spoke wheels.
I have the NPP, and wouldn't buy a C7 without it.

Quick Reply: Any non-Z51 buyers now have regrets?