C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I change album names on a USB without screwing something up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 01:43 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Can I change album names on a USB without screwing something up?

Since I purchased my C7 last April, I learned how to put my CD music onto a USB drive. Today I downloaded my first album. Give this 54 year old chick a pat on the back.
NOW FOR MY QUESTION:
Can I change the name of the album on the USB without screwing up how it is read on the car's media player? I have several greatest hits albums that have similar names that don't mention the artist/group name in the title. I want to mention the artist/group name first, then put greatest hits behind the name. I'm hoping one of you has already done the trial and error on this.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't state what format you are using. If it is MP3 then you would have to change the meta data tag in each of the songs to the new title name. I use a free program called "MP3Tag" to make these changes. When you first load the USB stick the car reads the meta tag for all songs and through this data decides which songs are grouped by artist or album. You could just load hundreds of songs without any folders and through the meta tags the car will sort them out. When I rip a CD to MP3 I use MP3Tag to clean up the Titles, Band, Artist and even the Album art before I load them onto the USB stick. With this free program you can make the album name anything you want and as long as every song has the same title the car will see it as an album. I also put each album into its own folder so later I know what I have at a glance. I will say that I have had better speed and quality of operation using the SD card instead of the USB stick. Both will work but my personal opinion is the SD card works best. I have several thousand CD's (about 15,000 songs) on a 32gb SD card so loading speed makes a big difference.

Last edited by Klyde; 11-09-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

You probably will think I'm crazy, but the albums I had on CDs I saved with Windows Media Audio and the album I downloaded is MP3. This is all so new to me and I'm learning as I stumble along.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Klyde
You don't state what format you are using. If it is MP3 then you would have to change the meta data tag in each of the songs to the new title name. I use a free program called "MP3Tag" to make these changes. When you first load the USB stick the car reads the meta tag for all songs and through this data decides which songs are grouped by artist or album. You could just load hundreds of songs without any folders and through the meta tags the car will sort them out. When I rip a CD to MP3 I use MP3Tag to clean up the Titles, Band, Artist and even the Album art before I load them onto the USB stick. With this free program you can make the album name anything you want and as long as every song has the same title the car will see it as an album. I also put each album into its own folder so later I know what I have at a glance. I will say that I have had better speed and quality of operation using the SD card instead of the USB stick. Both will work but my personal opinion is the SD card works best. I have several thousand CD's (about 15,000 songs) on a 32gb SD card so loading speed makes a big difference.
Sorry for this dumb question. You said you loaded the songs on an SD card. Where do you plug this in on the car?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:57 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TKay
Sorry for this dumb question. You said you loaded the songs on an SD card. Where do you plug this in on the car?
Umm, how about the SD card slot in the console compartment.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:09 AM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Umm, how about the SD card slot in the console compartment.
Yep, there it is, thanks. I guess I should spend more time sitting and looking at the car instead of driving it.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a 59 year old that went through the same agony last weekend. It took me an hour to figure out how to get my CD's onto a memory stick.
I used windows media player. I put the CD in the CD slot (that was not hard to figure out!) and put the memory stick in the USB port. Then I started Windows Media Player. There is an option to "rip". I did that and it took about five minutes. When the rip is done, right click on the album icon and select "open file location" from the pop up window. A new window will open that looks like a file explorer view. to the left of the whole file location name at the top of the explorer window is an up arrow. Click it once and the list of songs will disappear and the album name will be there. Right click on the name and select "rename" and then rename it. When done, left click once anywhere in the window. The file is renamed. Next right click on the name and select "copy". Then go to you SD card or memory stick and select "paste".
Note, if you change the name of the album in the first view of the songs with the album icon, it does not change the name on your car player menu.
BTW: I did this to put the artist name prior to the album name. Yes, some of us still like to listen to Barry Manilow. He is one of my favorites.

Last edited by gr8corvette; 11-10-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Added artist name

Get notified of new replies

To Can I change album names on a USB without screwing something up?