Sponsored by:

Jacks, jackstands, and jacking points

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jacks, jackstands, and jacking points

I notice that some people use a jack to lift one side of the car and then lower the car onto a jackstand. Since the jack and jackstand cannot simultaneously use the same jacking point, where is the jackstand placed so that the car is safely supported and no damage done to the car underpinnings?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:54 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,576 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by silversmoke1957
I notice that some people use a jack to lift one side of the car and then lower the car onto a jackstand. Since the jack and jackstand cannot simultaneously use the same jacking point, where is the jackstand placed so that the car is safely supported and no damage done to the car underpinnings?
I actually have the same question. I am getting ready to remove one of the rear wheels to get some curb rash corrected and will have to leave my C7 on jack stands for a couple of days while I am waiting for the wheel to be returned...
Old 11-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

The Owners Manual has the proper lift points in it:
Attached Images   
Old 11-11-2014, 05:22 PM
ATC
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
The Owners Manual has the proper lift points in it:
I believe the question is where do the jack stands go while the jack is on the lift point.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:56 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATC
I believe the question is where do the jack stands go while the jack is on the lift point.

That is exactly the question.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Im sure ill be flamed but that never bothers me, i jack on the puck, and then with a padded jackstand go on the frame right behind the pad. Probsbly done it 20 times now, no problems.

However i trust my jack on the puck if im doing single wheel changing, as done by my local wheel shop.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:41 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,576 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Im sure ill be flamed but that never bothers me, i jack on the puck, and then with a padded jackstand go on the frame right behind the pad. Probsbly done it 20 times now, no problems.

However i trust my jack on the puck if im doing single wheel changing, as done by my local wheel shop.
Glen,

Is that the same for both the front and rear of the car?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Glen,

Could you give a bit more detail about where you place your jackstand. I want to do pretty much what you describe, that is, jack up a single wheel and then support it with a jackstand.

However, looking underneath my C7, I do not see an area in close proximity to the front jacking points that would support a jackstand. If I move "behind" the jacking point as in moving toward the rear of the car, the jack stand would rest on the composite rocker panel where it wraps underneath the frame. If I move "behind" the jacking point as in toward the center of the vehicle, I do not see an area that looks trustworthy to support the weight of the vehicle. Any elaboration on your technique would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Ill have to look and take pics, doing it again in a few weeks.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Ill have to look and take pics, doing it again in a few weeks.
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:27 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You could jack the car up on the front and rear cradle points, and put 4 jackstands under pucks on the side frames.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You could jack the car up on the front and rear cradle points, and put 4 jackstands under pucks on the side frames.
The problem I have with using the front cradle point is the car is so low that it requires a very low profile jack, one with a extra long body that can reach far enough under the front end to reach the cradle lift point and still operate the jack handle.

A normal jack is too high in profile and too short in length to get underneath the front and reach the cradle and still operate. However, a normal jack can be easily used from the sides of the vehicle to raise a single wheel. I would rather avoid purchasing yet another jack if I could.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:32 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

The problem I have with using the front cradle point is the car is so low that it requires a very low profile jack, one with a extra long body that can reach far enough under the front end to reach the cradle lift point and still operate the jack handle.

A normal jack is too high in profile and too short in length to get underneath the front and reach the cradle and still operate. However, a normal jack can be easily used from the sides of the vehicle to raise a single wheel. I would rather avoid purchasing yet another jack if I could.
silversmoke, I had the same trouble with the car being to low for the jack. Cut a couple of 2"x 12" and drive up on them. It will raise your car up so you can use your floor jack.

2" x 12" beside the rear wheel and under rear wheel on bottom picture. This can be used on front also to raise front of your car. Hope this helps you out.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:51 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
silversmoke, I had the same trouble with the car being to low for the jack. Cut a couple of 2"x 12" and drive up on them. It will raise your car up so you can use your floor jack.
Thanks JMH for the suggestion. I may end up going this route. I notice you are using Race Ramps. Have you been happy with them? They look like a nice, but somewhat expensive solution to lifting a Vette. Have you find a good way to store them so that they stay out of the way when not in use? Garage clutter is getting to be a serious problem at my house.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:55 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Thanks JMH for the suggestion. I may end up going this route. I notice you are using Race Ramps. Have you been happy with them? They look like a nice, but somewhat expensive solution to lifting a Vette. Have you find a good way to store them so that they stay out of the way when not in use? Garage clutter is getting to be a serious problem at my house.
silversmoke, Yes I'm very happy with the Race Ramps. If you'll notice the ramps are two-piece. The ramps and the blocks will store in a 2' x 3' area. The ramps I have raise the car 10", you can use a creeper and roll bumper to bumper. They are very safe also and I would buy them again.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Thanks.
I just went down and looked. I Forgot i now have skirts that cover the rail. Looks like im gonna try john michael's 2x12 trick, i cant get my jack under without it either....

Get notified of new replies

To Jacks, jackstands, and jacking points

Old 11-11-2014, 10:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Another solution may be to get a low profile race jack. I have a Craftsman low profile aluminum jack and my C7 is SLAMMED and I don't have any issues getting my jack under the pucks on the sides. I DO have problems getting the jack under the center of the front/rear to jack using the cradle though..
Old 11-11-2014, 10:28 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

I just went down and looked. I Forgot i now have skirts that cover the rail. Looks like im gonna try john michael's 2x12 trick, i cant get my jack under without it either....
Thanks for checking. Looks like we all may be converging on the idea of using some sort of jack helper like the 2x12 suggested by JMH.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Another solution may be to get a low profile race jack. I have a Craftsman low profile aluminum jack and my C7 is SLAMMED and I don't have any issues getting my jack under the pucks on the sides. I DO have problems getting the jack under the center of the front/rear to jack using the cradle though..
Have you found a location underneath where you can safely place a jackstand after jacking up the car from the side?
The following users liked this post:
askennedy (11-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Jacks, jackstands, and jacking points