Sponsored by:

Inscrutable Consumer Reports and Stingray Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Really?

Members of Corvette Forum arguing about a positive review of the C7??
Let's trash Mother Theresa and driving sober!!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:54 PM
TLC5 In CT.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My issue with C.R. is they don't publish what the actual figures with respect to the number of defects per 1,000 vehicles. For example, if their top rated vehicle has 20 defects per 1,000 and the 2nd rated vehicle has 22, the difference is insignificant on a relative basis. Secondly, I have never received a questionnaire about any of the many new vehicles that I've purchased although I am not a subscriber. Perhaps they base their ratings only on data received from. Maybe someone can comment about that.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

They only contact subscribers to CR. Here is what I received 11/4/2014 from CR:

Thank you for allowing us to contact you again. In our efforts to provide you with the most up-to-date information, we are asking subscribers who told us about their car on the 2014 Annual Questionnaire to participate in this very brief survey.
Upon conclusion of the survey, we will select 10 respondents to receive complimentary subscription extensions to ConsumerReports.org®. We will notify all winners by e-mail upon selection and awarding of extensions.

Thanks in advance for helping us with this project!

And they are very persistent with follow up emails to get us to participate.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:29 PM
TLC5 In CT.
Advanced

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
They only contact subscribers to CR. Here is what I received 11/4/2014 from CR:

Thank you for allowing us to contact you again. In our efforts to provide you with the most up-to-date information, we are asking subscribers who told us about their car on the 2014 Annual Questionnaire to participate in this very brief survey.
Upon conclusion of the survey, we will select 10 respondents to receive complimentary subscription extensions to ConsumerReports.org®. We will notify all winners by e-mail upon selection and awarding of extensions.

Thanks in advance for helping us with this project!

And they are very persistent with follow up emails to get us to participate.
Thank you for clarifying, Walt.
I.M.H.O., that brings into question just how representative the results are. I personally know quite a few vette owners and there's only one I know of that subscribes to C.R. I do admit to going to the local library to review C.Rs's comments about some items but certainly not autos.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Maybe 2 now,

It only brings it into question because you have no idea how many people responded to the surveys. Just to start, CR has 7 million subscribers.

See: http://consumerreports.org/cro/about...arch/index.htm
Old 11-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED

Consumer Reports is a joke!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:22 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Don't they also rate electric shavers?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:40 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Don't they also rate electric shavers?
The guy doing the ratings for the electric shavers got promoted to expert C7 rating reviewer. Fully qualified!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:25 AM
TLC5 In CT.
Advanced

Maybe 2 now,

It only brings it into question because you have no idea how many people responded to the surveys. Just to start, CR has 7 million subscribers.

See: http://consumerreports.org/cro/about...arch/index.htm
Seven million is not that many considering the total number of cars on the road and the fact that not all subscribers respond to the surveys.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLC5 In CT.
Seven million is not that many considering the total number of cars on the road and the fact that not all subscribers respond to the surveys.
Total number of cars on the road is irrelevant to this discussion. What is relevant is how many surveys from car owners were received. While CR doesn't report how many surveys were received for each model of car they did report in this latest issue the total number of car surveys that went into their current ratings. That number:

1,078,364 That's a lot of surveys.

So 1 out of 7 subscribers responded. And if an individual model does not have enough surveys to be statistically relevant, they don't rate it.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:00 PM
TLC5 In CT.
Advanced

Everyone has their own opinion and I still believe CR's sampling for Corvettes is small relative to all owners. As such, I personally put zero value in their opinion.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC5 In CT.
Everyone has their own opinion and I still believe CR's sampling for Corvettes is small relative to all owners. As such, I personally put zero value in their opinion.
So, size matters...
Old 12-22-2014, 01:22 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Total number of cars on the road is irrelevant to this discussion. What is relevant is how many surveys from car owners were received. While CR doesn't report how many surveys were received for each model of car they did report in this latest issue the total number of car surveys that went into their current ratings. That number:

1,078,364 That's a lot of surveys.

So 1 out of 7 subscribers responded. And if an individual model does not have enough surveys to be statistically relevant, they don't rate it.
The above math isn't quite right, as many people who respond respond for two cars. So probably about one out of every 10 to 11.

Total number of cars isn't relevant. Sample size is. CR's minimum sample size has long been 100 cars. This isn't based on statistical analysis, but is a nice round number. It isn't enough to report separate results by subsystem, since these can indicate differences as small as one problem per 100 cars. They often have well over 100 cars, but generally don't say how many.

One other thing not often realized: the survey is conducted in April. If a car has improved or worsened since last spring, their stats won't reflect this.

Last edited by mkaresh; 12-22-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:32 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koufax
Here's the strange part. Looking at the ratings of the 2014 Stingray as a used car, the report breaks it down into about 17 aspects, such as engine (much better than average), drive system (much better than average), etc. In 13 categories, the Stingray is much better than average. In 4, it is better than average. Not a single score of average or worse. We're talking Toyota reliability here. So what's the overall score? Average. Huh?

I think the reason is that CR is reluctant to base an overall score on one year. They look at a minimum of three years of data. They rate the 2013 Corvette as much worse than average, and the 2012 as better than average. So the 2013 data brings down the 2014 car. This might make sense except that the car was completely redesigned for 2014. Oh, well.
It's not because they have only one model year. A rating like "average" is based on a strict, fairly simple formula. Even if they have reasons to think that the rating doesn't predict future reliability--perhaps because it was hurt by a known problem that won't affect recently produced cars--they will not modify it, or even include a note to this effect.

About the dots not seeming to add up--virtually no one understands how CR calculates the dots. They last tweaked the system to try to make it make more intuitive sense in 2006. I wrote the following critique then:

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/newdots.php
Old 12-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Asking Consumer Reports to test a sports car is like asking a Amish person to review an Iphone.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:24 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm rather amazed by the uninformed comments disparaging Consumer Reports. I do not rely on any one source for car buying info but CR is my most trusted source. They're not perfect, but they do what nobody else does. For one, they buy all their cars anonymously from retail dealers.

CR gets NO money from auto or any other manufacturer. All the car mags/web sites have to ask for loaner cars from the manufacturers that provide all the advertising support to said mags & sites. Do you believe that the car you buy from a dealer gets the same pre-delivery inspection that the car mags get? You can bet that the manufacturers likely have special teams that get the cars ready for the mags. Likely Chevy sends Motor Trend the car they've already tested to do 0-60 in the advertised 3.7 and not the one that tests out at 4.1.

The other thing CR does that the car mags don't is gather the reliability data. True, they don't give you problems per thousand but they put all cars on a relative scale, which could be more useful. For instance the C7 is average compared to all vehicles in existence. That tells me all I need to know for me to consider the other aspects of the car. They noted the Chevy Cruze was 143% worse than average reliability. That's all I need to know not to buy one. If they didn't get enough data on a particular vehicle, they say so.

You can get different, and sometime contradictory, data from JD Powers. I don't know the relationship to the manufacturers, but the manufacturers use JD Powers in their advertising. CR doesn't allow the manufacturers to use CR's name in any advertising. Manufacturers have sued CR over test results. CR stands up and has won every court case I'm aware of. You've never seen a car mag sued by a manufacturer. They scratch each others back. I'm not complaining, I subscribe to C&D, R&T and MT. I'm just aware of their relationship with the manufacturers and possible bias so I take the reviews with a grain of salt.

I've subscribed to CR for 25 years or more. They've sent me an auto reliability survey every year. Of the many cars I've had during that period, I've found their data to exactly match the reliability experience I've had with every car. It's good to know my anecdotal experience is validated by actual statistical data--not forum BS.

As far as the road-test, CR tests all cars for months, unlike the car mags that typically test for days. The 2014 C7 Z51 coupe got a score of 92. There are only a relative small handful of cars that have ever scored that high. Rarely do such brands as Honda or Toyota break a 90. CR was just as exuberant about the C7 as was any other road test in the enthusiast sphere. CR is the only mag that mentioned the excess road noise in the coupe. I've seen a lot of forum members with that complaint, but no professional reviews (and I've read countless pro reviews). So, those that say they'll do the opposite of what CR recommends, guess you won't be owning C7s.

ONLY CR can say they don't take money from manufactures and are therefore unbiased. I'm not going to regurgitate how CR tests cars, they tell you in the mag how they quantify the tests. Don't solely depend on CR or any other single source for car buying info, but if you ignore CR, you're missing a great opportunity to be an informed buyer.

Last edited by BIC; 12-22-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:35 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Asking Consumer Reports to test a sports car is like asking a Amish person to review an Iphone.
The full time auto staff of CR is testing cars every day and they have probably tested way more cars than any car mag. CR has it's own test track, no car mag has that. CR testers are not distracted writing articles about classics or racing--they test new cars--period.

If the car mags can test econo-boxes, why can't CR test sport cars?

Again, CR loves the C7. Does that mean they don't know sports cars?

Get notified of new replies

To Inscrutable Consumer Reports and Stingray Reliability

Old 12-22-2014, 05:54 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
My philosophy has always been to do the complete opposite of what Consumer Reports recommends as it pertains to which cars to purchase and that's worked out pretty good.

ie. They strongly recommend the Prius. Didn't get one.

Your error.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Thank you BIC. 100%.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Originally Posted by BIC
The full time auto staff of CR is testing cars every day and they have probably tested way more cars than any car mag. CR has it's own test track, no car mag has that. CR testers are not distracted writing articles about classics or racing--they test new cars--period.

If the car mags can test econo-boxes, why can't CR test sport cars?

Again, CR loves the C7. Does that mean they don't know sports cars?
While I have issues with how CR conducts its reliability survey (or I would not have started my own), I like how they test cars. I also personally know some of the people who perform their auto testing, and they're as much car enthusiasts as the writers for the magazines. I don't know if they're able to test as many cars as the magazines, since they have to buy them all, but they're certainly able to put in more track time.

One minor caveat: they do use manufacturer-supplied vehicles for preview drives, and so do have some relationship with the OEMs, but wait until they can buy one and more thoroughly test it before releasing a full evaluation.

Quick Reply: Inscrutable Consumer Reports and Stingray Reliability