C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever felt their car ran ''better'' after changing the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 PM
louloumax
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone ever felt their car ran ''better'' after changing the oil?

I just changed my oil at 12% oil life remaining. I had Mobil 1 in it which the dealer used for my first oil change. BTW, no extra charge for the supposedly upgrade in oil, and no complaints with the Mobil 1.

I decided to try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic [Black Label]. It’s made from natural gas. The specs on the Pennzoil site swear it is a better oil. SEE BELOW FOR THE CLAIMS AND LINK. It says right on the bottle, "keeps pistons up to 25% cleaner than the leading synthetic."

Walmart has it sporadically for about $28 for 5 qts. I put in 9 qts and it has remained between fill and add for 1200 miles. Supposedly the dry sump doesn’t like to be overfull, so .4 qts low is where I will leave it.

I am not here to sell their oil. On the contrary, I am wondering if all this is just hype and that any hi quality oil is just fine unless you’re pushing all limits of the car on the track.

I mean, how clean does a piston have to be to not cause any problems? How do they know you mileage is better than a ‘’dirty’’ engine? Can you really feel more horsepower with this oil?

Bottom line question: Has anyone ever felt their car ran better after changing the oil?

From the Pennzoil site:
http://crb-staging.pennzoil.com/moto...-oil/#Benefits
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology delivers COMPLETE PROTECTION including:Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 25% cleaner that Mobil 1and up to 35% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®.2
Better Fuel Economy: Drive on average an extra 550 miles per year vs. a dirty engine3
Horsepower Protection: Helps protect engines from loss of power
Unsurpassed Wear Protection: No other leading motor oil provides better protection form friction4
Excellent Performance in Extreme Temperatures: Provides faster low temperature oil flow and protects in extreme heat.

Last edited by louloumax; 11-15-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

To answer your question...no, but it made me feel better
Old 11-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 478 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have had this many times, on many cars, have no idea if its real or if my senses want to believe. But Because it does not last long, i forget about it.

I used to have the same feeling when i bought a new set of tires....or did a mod....
Old 11-15-2014, 04:18 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

It also runs better when I wax the hood.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:30 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
It also runs better when I wax the hood.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:03 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Mine runs better when I wash it and goes faster after I wax it !
Old 11-15-2014, 05:07 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Same analogy as when I drink an ice cold beer vs warm swill.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

it likely runs the same, but you just feel better afterwards !
Old 11-15-2014, 08:19 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

The mind is a powerfull tool. I too feel my car runs better after a wash and/or wax.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:06 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I have had this many times, on many cars, have no idea if its real or if my senses want to believe. But Because it does not last long, i forget about it.
Even though I’ve always changed my oil more frequently than was typically recommended, I have always felt that the engine sounded more quiet after the change than before. How long that lasted, I have no comment. Don
Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I never thought it ran better after an oil change (all 300,000+ mi. were Mobile 1), but for sure, the type of gas made a difference.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:52 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I never thought it ran better after an oil change (all 300,000+ mi. were Mobile 1), but for sure, the type of gas made a difference.
Now that makes sense!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:59 PM
vettekat2007
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

I seem to notice a smoother running engine after an oil change but I don't think it lasts more than one or two starts. Have never noticed a difference in BRANDS of gasoline but I stick with one BRAND whenever possible. Just my opinions.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Whether it's an oil change or a new air filter or mufflers, those of us with a positive attitude like to think our work was a success. The car always seems to run better.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:37 PM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Mine runs better when I wash it and goes faster after I wax it !
Old 11-16-2014, 10:24 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Don't you love it when you get ridiculed for asking an honest question? I switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil in my C5, and I think I have noticed less cold start piston slap noise.

I usually change the oil much more frequently than recommended, so I'm not sure that any change in how it runs would be apparent, but if you keep oil in the engine too long, piston rings will start sticking, lifters won't work as well, and you are circulating wear causing grit through the engine. I have also heard the recommendation to change oil on engines that are marginally failing emission tests because of fuel contamination in the oil will raise hydrocarbon emissions.

The only downside to frequent oil changes would be maybe spending a little more money than absolutely necessary. I think the extended oil changes seemingly universal today are there to keep inconvenience and maintenance costs down and maybe even pressure from the Government for what they see as ecological reasons and are not really in the best interests of your engine.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:43 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

If your rings were stuck from not changing the oil, it would take a while for them to get unstuck, so any improvement would take a while, probably long enough for you to forget when you changed your oil.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:53 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by louloumax
I just changed my oil at 12% oil life remaining. I had Mobil 1 in it which the dealer used for my first oil change. BTW, no extra charge for the supposedly upgrade in oil, and no complaints with the Mobil 1.

I decided to try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic [Black Label]. It’s made from natural gas. The specs on the Pennzoil site swear it is a better oil. SEE BELOW FOR THE CLAIMS AND LINK. It says right on the bottle, "keeps pistons up to 25% cleaner than the leading synthetic."

Walmart has it sporadically for about $28 for 5 qts. I put in 9 qts and it has remained between fill and add for 1200 miles. Supposedly the dry sump doesn’t like to be overfull, so .4 qts low is where I will leave it.

I am not here to sell their oil. On the contrary, I am wondering if all this is just hype and that any hi quality oil is just fine unless you’re pushing all limits of the car on the track.

I mean, how clean does a piston have to be to not cause any problems? How do they know you mileage is better than a ‘’dirty’’ engine? Can you really feel more horsepower with this oil?

Bottom line question: Has anyone ever felt their car ran better after changing the oil?

From the Pennzoil site:
http://crb-staging.pennzoil.com/moto...-oil/#Benefits
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology delivers COMPLETE PROTECTION including:Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 25% cleaner that Mobil 1and up to 35% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®.2
Better Fuel Economy: Drive on average an extra 550 miles per year vs. a dirty engine3
Horsepower Protection: Helps protect engines from loss of power
Unsurpassed Wear Protection: No other leading motor oil provides better protection form friction4
Excellent Performance in Extreme Temperatures: Provides faster low temperature oil flow and protects in extreme heat.

My daily driver ( which sits outside ) starts faster and warms up faster when i changed from regular oil to Mobil 1 recently especially when its cold ( for Seattle area ) now 28 this morning !!! Wayne

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone ever felt their car ran ''better'' after changing the oil?

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever felt their car ran ''better'' after changing the oil?