Sponsored by:

Can't program new key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:20 PM
frankc5601
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't program new key fob

Need help. Bought a new key fob for my Z51, had the key cut, followed the instructions in manual using my existing working key fob, and no luck. I get to the step where "program remote #4 comes up, insert new key into slot, push stop/start button, and I don't get message "program remote #5", however, I still proceeded with removing key fob, push unlock button on key fob, then hold stop/start button for 12 seconds, and .... nothing. New key fob not programmed. I must have tried it 5-6 times, and still same thing. Any suggestions or ideas besides paying dealer $50 or them insisting I have to buy a new key fob from them? I bought the key fob from online gm parts dealer, so I don't believe there is an issue with key fob.

Thanks
Frank

Last edited by frankc5601; 11-16-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:18 PM
SFZX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc5601
Need help. Bought a new key fob for my Z51, had the key cut, followed the instructions in manual using my existing working key fob, and no luck. I get to the step where "program remote #4 comes up, insert new key into slot, push stop/start button, and I don't get message "program remote #5", however, I still proceeded with removing key fob, push unlock button on key fob, then hold stop/start button for 12 seconds, and .... nothing. New key fob not programmed. I must have tried it 5-6 times, and still same thing. Any suggestions or ideas besides paying dealer $50 or them insisting I have to buy a new key fob from them? I bought the key fob from online gm parts dealer, so I don't believe there is an issue with key fob.

Thanks
Frank
I've done this with no issues, did you remove the cut key from both remotes and position it buttons up with the ring base toward passenger side of car. I also purchased a fob from a different vendor not the dealer.

Quick Reply: Can't program new key fob