Sponsored by:

Hood stinger: GM vs Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:17 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hood stinger: GM vs Aftermarket

How does the factory (is it factory installed?) hood stinger stripe compare to having it done locally?

I have seen a few threads mention this. They claim the aftermarket stripe will cost less and look the same. Others say the slight savings is not worth the hassle.

My goal is to have the CF hood stinger with an additional small stripe around it. So if I'm having some hood striping done aftermarket, might as well have it all done then, right? But ...

I talked to a local vinyl graphics place who told me that any vinyl they install on horizontal surfaces will get sun baked and need to be replaced in about 3 years. Is this typical? Is the factory stripe good for many, many years?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:55 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by FirehawkTA
How does the factory (is it factory installed?) hood stinger stripe compare to having it done locally?

I have seen a few threads mention this. They claim the aftermarket stripe will cost less and look the same. Others say the slight savings is not worth the hassle.

My goal is to have the CF hood stinger with an additional small stripe around it. So if I'm having some hood striping done aftermarket, might as well have it all done then, right? But ...

I talked to a local vinyl graphics place who told me that any vinyl they install on horizontal surfaces will get sun baked and need to be replaced in about 3 years. Is this typical? Is the factory stripe good for many, many years?
Once I was sure that it was I wanted, I had my stripe painted. IMO, it looks better than a vinyl piece on your hood. The only advantage of vinyl is if you don't like it, you can take it off later. There are multiple threads with photos and opinions on this.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

A good vinyl will last 7-10 years, it depends on the grade of vinyl he is using.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Unlike the aftermarket stripes, the factory stripe is actual automotive paint (color and clear coat) applied to a vinyl substrate.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Thank you, jacquesc6. I did see the paint vs stripe discussions, but I was not planning to paint. I'll do additional searches to see if I can find out more about the vinyl options.

Also, thank you Eppieguy and Zmurgy!
Old 11-18-2014, 03:55 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

If Vinyl is what you want, there are several Forum vendors that sell stinger stripes. Ask them how the quality is compared to the factory stripe. I mentioned painting because it cost me half the price the dealer charges for vinyl.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Some of my old cars had vinyl tape and if you were not careful and got some wax on it, it was near impossible to take off. Left a light fog type mark. Is this true for the newer vinyl ?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
Some of my old cars had vinyl tape and if you were not careful and got some wax on it, it was near impossible to take off. Left a light fog type mark. Is this true for the newer vinyl ?
New high quality vinyl will not do that with just wax, compounds may be a different story.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:55 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Unlike the aftermarket stripes, the factory stripe is actual automotive paint (color and clear coat) applied to a vinyl substrate......
........which is one reason I had the factory put it on.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ckwhite
........which is one reason I had the factory put it on.
yet you can't tell at all from a good vinyl like Oracal 951 black metallic....Oracal has about a 7 year life, the GM stuff is about 9 year, acc to Talon - a gm source. If that 2 years is worth 3 times what a vendor here will sell you an Oracal stripe for, then do it.....

But don't get sucked into the GM Kool aid that you are getting a stripe that LOOKS like clearcoat...because it does not...and I have had mine side by side with a gm stripe...IDENTICAL....

Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen e
yet you can't tell at all from a good vinyl like Oracal 951 black metallic....Oracal has about a 7 year life, the GM stuff is about 9 year, acc to Talon - a gm source. If that 2 years is worth 3 times what a vendor here will sell you an Oracal stripe for, then do it.....

But don't get sucked into the GM Kool aid that you are getting a stripe that LOOKS like clearcoat...because it does not...and I have had mine side by side with a gm stripe...IDENTICAL....
Thank you so much, Glen_e. That's what I'll do ... unless I get it painted like jacquesc6 suggested, but I will probably want to keep it somewhat temporary.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FirehawkTA
Thank you so much, Glen_e. That's what I'll do ... unless I get it painted like jacquesc6 suggested, but I will probably want to keep it somewhat temporary.
10 4 -if you don't want to mount or mess with it, GM is the way to go....but people should not think they are getting the equiv of a good painted clear coat job, because it's not that...

Get notified of new replies

To Hood stinger: GM vs Aftermarket

Quick Reply: Hood stinger: GM vs Aftermarket