Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused about tires!

Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM
SCOTSTERN
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Confused about tires!

I live in Southern California so 40 and 20 degree days are not really an issue for me. I am not an attorney so I am not knowledgeable of liabilities but.....I am amazed that it would appear that the Corvette owners are standing still for this "frozen" tire issue!

Do dealers in colder climates tell you, before ordering or buying a new C7, that your tires are not suitable for any type of cold weather driving and you are looking at a $1,500 bill for new tires in order to drive your car? Do they tell you that to do so could result in cut tires, damage to the car and or a loss of traction that could result in an accident?

Do buyers really pay $85K for a car that is unsuitable for use 6 months out of the year? I understand that Corvette owners are MACHO but this seems unbelievable to me.

I would think that Michelin and GM would be working feverishly to develop a suitable replacement tire for this car! This seems very unusual to me. It would one thing if they offered a suitable tire and as an option and you could order summer tires but I saw no available option for all season tires!

Lastly, since the current weather in BG is well under 20F does this mean that every car built and stored there has defective tires as the instructions are quite clear that they must not be stored, driven or test driven in conditions that are below 20F. How do they load them on a truck? Do they use a winch?

I think that you get my point, but as owners what are we doing about this?

WOW!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by SCOTSTERN
I live in Southern California.
Do buyers really pay $85K for a car that is unsuitable for use 6 months out of the year?
Yes. Summer tires for summer, winter tires for winter. Many of us do that on all our cars, not just Corvettes.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Z51 tires have cracked in the past. The base car tire is considerably more tolerant but cold temperatures are a consideration. I live at South Central Pennsylvania, sub 20 degree temperatures seldom happen. Except now (?), last night temperatures hovered at the 20 degree mark, even though the night was totally clear left the car in the garage and used the wife's Cobalt. Didn't want to chance ruining the tires, warmer days are expected this weekend.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:57 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

So if you buy your C7 in the winter, it still comes with summer tires...?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Yes
Old 11-19-2014, 12:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Go to the guru of tire sites, TireRack. Look at the description of tires: Summer, Ultra High Perf. Summer, Max Perf. Summer, All Season, Winter, etc. Why do you think a tire site would give these classifications which then get put on the tires that go on cars? There are different tires for different occasions, like weather.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=57950&tab=All

They also have definitions of those terms: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/tiretype.jsp
Old 11-19-2014, 01:53 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with you 1000%. What can we do about it.............for me this was the stumbling block as to why I didn't buy a C7 last week------all the negotiations were finalized and then I learned about the tires.

In essence, I would be buying a car that I couldn't even test drive for several months because the temps are pretty much 40 and below from now until late March (may have a few warmer days, but then the roads will more likely than not have sand or salt on them) unless I bought a 2nd set of all season tires for my brand new car-----yea, my wife is going to go for that....and for storing the summer only tires in the cellar while I try to find a buyer.

So, I am stuck with my 427 with 6,500 miles on it.......plan now is to either make the 427 my last corvette, or possibly wait 4-5 years and see about a garage queen ZO6. But in all honesty, the whole idea of GM selling their top of the line sports car with tires of limited use for us up North just makes me wonder if I even want another GM car....corvette or anything else....it is a head scratcher.............
Old 11-19-2014, 02:12 PM
SCOTSTERN
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Post Yellow427!

Honestly this whole situation does not affect me in any way but it is wrong. These cars ought to have a disclaimer notice provided when you order them that clearly states the issue and then red tags attached to the wheels upon delivery that further cautions the buyer about the potential of a problem either in their environment or at the factory when it was manufactured.

When you consider that according to GM's definition, every car delivered anywhere in the USA, could be affected by this issue, simply because they are produced and stored in a factory where the temperature is often below 20F, this is a travesty in every sense.

Now, you asked what is to be done? Simple.....people have to stop being financially MACHO and start a grass root campaign, on a forum like this, to protest. I can assure you that if 500 people protested via a factual and tasteful post, both Michelin and GM would solve the problem. Both are responsible manufactures and they would make a change.

Again, it really does not affect me but....it is still not right and someone should at least expect GM to comment concerning the potential to receive damaged tires through no fault of their own. Since this is not disclosed upon ordering or receipt of an in stock car, I think that there is significant liability to both Michelin and GM.

I am not bitter, but I would like to see a solution. Why not offer an all season alternative or provide the information so that a potential buyer can make an informed decision.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:20 PM
funz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by SCOTSTERN
Great Post Yellow427!

Honestly this whole situation does not affect me in any way but it is wrong. These cars ought to have a disclaimer notice provided when you order them that clearly states the issue and then red tags attached to the wheels upon delivery that further cautions the buyer about the potential of a problem either in their environment or at the factory when it was manufactured.

When you consider that according to GM's definition, every car delivered anywhere in the USA, could be affected by this issue, simply because they are produced and stored in a factory where the temperature is often below 20F, this is a travesty in every sense.

Now, you asked what is to be done? Simple.....people have to stop being financially MACHO and start a grass root campaign, on a forum like this, to protest. I can assure you that if 500 people protested via a factual and tasteful post, both Michelin and GM would solve the problem. Both are responsible manufactures and they would make a change.

Again, it really does not affect me but....it is still not right and someone should at least expect GM to comment concerning the potential to receive damaged tires through no fault of their own. Since this is not disclosed upon ordering or receipt of an in stock car, I think that there is significant liability to both Michelin and GM.

I am not bitter, but I would like to see a solution. Why not offer an all season alternative or provide the information so that a potential buyer can make an informed decision.
If they offered an all season alternative I would have purchased the car last week----heck, I was just looking for the dealer to split the cost with me for the all season tires and he could have kept the OEM summer only tires....and still they wouldn't go for it.......to me it is just crazy. I think the tire manufacturers must have the best sales people, or GM's buyers are.............I really love my 427 and wasn't real anxious to trade it in for the C7, but decided I would---and this tire thing just took my desire away and left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

What tires do you have on your 427?
Old 11-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Have to admit, this whole tire issue sucks. Do you have to drive the car in temps in the 20's in order to have these cracks appear ?

I have a Z51 and now I am planning to park it for the winter on a carpet in my unheated garage. Owned a Corvette since 1980 and never had to do this.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:03 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow427
I agree with you 1000%. What can we do about it.............for me this was the stumbling block as to why I didn't buy a C7 last week------all the negotiations were finalized and then I learned about the tires.

In essence, I would be buying a car that I couldn't even test drive for several months because the temps are pretty much 40 and below from now until late March (may have a few warmer days, but then the roads will more likely than not have sand or salt on them) unless I bought a 2nd set of all season tires for my brand new car-----yea, my wife is going to go for that....and for storing the summer only tires in the cellar while I try to find a buyer.

So, I am stuck with my 427 with 6,500 miles on it.......plan now is to either make the 427 my last corvette, or possibly wait 4-5 years and see about a garage queen ZO6. But in all honesty, the whole idea of GM selling their top of the line sports car with tires of limited use for us up North just makes me wonder if I even want another GM car....corvette or anything else....it is a head scratcher.............
Hmmm! My 427, while not having any mention of cracking below 20 F, has the same warning about using winter or all season tires for extended driving in cold temperatures. So I guess you are really SOL.

FWIW - I drove my 427 today and it was 35 F when I left the house. And all the instances of tire cracking I have read about were temps well below 20F, like for instance, -20 something in Calgary AB or Minneapolis.

Last edited by fdxpilot; 11-19-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 PM
funz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Hmmm! My 427, while not having any mention of cracking below 20 F, has the same warning about using winter or all season tires for extended driving in temperatures below 40 F. So I guess you are really SOL.

FWIW - I drove my 427 today and it was 35 F when I left the house.
Another 427 owner emailed me and said our OEM tires are summer only tires too, but I have never read or heard anything about them cracking or deteriorating in the cold. I had my car out yesterday too, in the 30's (I think it was lo 30's with the wind chill; and will do so again Friday). Last winter I had it out in the single digits a few times---hope to do so again this winter----and yes the traction is terrible in the cold. But, I don't go crazy on the turns, etc.---will boot it going straight sometimes----3 of my friends with C7's said they couldn't drive their cars in the cold as it was too dangerous with the lack of traction and jumping---2 put on all season tires and now drive in the winter with me; and 3rd put his away for the winter.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:22 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Another 427 owner emailed me and said our OEM tires are summer only tires too, but I have never read or heard anything about them cracking or deteriorating in the cold. I had my car out yesterday too, in the 30's (I think it was lo 30's with the wind chill; and will do so again Friday). Last winter I had it out in the single digits a few times---hope to do so again this winter----and yes the traction is terrible in the cold. But, I don't go crazy on the turns, etc.---will boot it going straight sometimes----3 of my friends with C7's said they couldn't drive their cars in the cold as it was too dangerous with the lack of traction and jumping---2 put on all season tires and now drive in the winter with me; and 3rd put his away for the winter.
The tires on your 427 (I assume you have the OEM's) are summer tires also and carry the exact same warnings as any other summer tire. Summer tires, regardless of maker, are made for best traction in warm conditions, I have seen ultra performance Goodyears crack in cold weather as well. I honestly don't know what to say about your friends....

This is a sports car with appropriate tires, low slung/high power cars with WIDE tires are just NOT the proper transportation device in very cold climates.
All season tires won't have the cold traction issue of a summer tire, they also won't have THE traction of summer tire when it warms up. All season tires by their very nature are "slave to many, master to none"

Here are the tires offered for your car from Tire Rack (including the OEM). You will note that they are all "summer" tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=58165&tab=All

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-19-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:31 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
Have to admit, this whole tire issue sucks. Do you have to drive the car in temps in the 20's in order to have these cracks appear ?

I have a Z51 and now I am planning to park it for the winter on a carpet in my unheated garage. Owned a Corvette since 1980 and never had to do this.
Because you never had tires with this kind of capability. There is no free lunch, the Pilot SS's are amazing tires, far more capable than the original Goodyear runflats on the C5 (which were HORRIBLE tires and they could possibly crack also).

The GREAT handling all season tire has not been made yet and probably never will. Pick your poison.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-19-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

That's a real first world problem if I ever heard one.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimmyb
The tires on your 427 (I assume you have the OEM's) are summer tires also and carry the exact same warnings as any other summer tire. Summer tires, regardless of maker, are made for best traction in warm conditions, I have seen ultra performance Goodyears crack in cold weather as well. I honestly don't know what to say about your friends....

This is a sports car with appropriate tires, low slung/high power cars with WIDE tires are just NOT the proper transportation device in very cold climates.
All season tires won't have the cold traction issue of a summer tire, they also won't have THE traction of summer tire when it warms up. All season tires by their very nature are "slave to many, master to none"

Here are the tires offered for your car from Tire Rack (including the OEM). You will note that they are all "summer" tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=58165&tab=All

Jimmy
Amazing how few people know this or refuse to believe it.

Get notified of new replies

To Confused about tires!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:24 PM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

The 427 has Michelin PS2 tires and they are virtually the same tire that is on the C7. No factory vette tire is good for less than 40 degree driving. My 427 sat in the winter unheated garage for two winters and the tires never cracked. If my C7 tires crack and make the car useless, Im sure the warranty will cover the tire. Just don't drive on these tires in 40 degree weather. Get all season ones if you intend to drive in in cold weather.
Nothing has changed hear guys.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:37 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by jversluis
The 427 has Michelin PS2 tires and they are virtually the same tire that is on the C7. No factory vette tire is good for less than 40 degree driving. My 427 sat in the winter unheated garage for two winters and the tires never cracked. If my C7 tires crack and make the car useless, Im sure the warranty will cover the tire. Just don't drive on these tires in 40 degree weather. Get all season ones if you intend to drive in in cold weather.
Nothing has changed hear guys.
This is interesting. I'd also have to store my stingray in an unheated garage. I'm sure I cannot be the only one. I wonder if they did crack from just sitting it would be covered under warranty. They could simply say it's your fault for storing the car in a cold temp. I plan to simply wrap blankets around the cars tires when its on the trickle charger.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Maybe you guys can get some F1 electric tire blankets!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Confused about tires!