Sponsored by:

My experience and possibly a short cut for the GPS red X problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:14 PM
ksf
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience and possibly a short cut for the GPS red X problem

I picked up my C7 10 days ago. Artic White with Adrenaline Red interior, 2LT with NAV and PDR, convertible. I bought it from a dealer in a different state, flew in, picked it up and drove it back home ( 350 miles ). As expected, the GPS had signal for maximum 2 minutes in the whole 5 hours drive which I had to depend on my phone to get home. The next morning I was planning to go to the dealer but reading through the posts here, I didn't think it'll be an easy mission so instead, I hit the OnStar button and talked to a rep. and asked them to run a diagnostic because my GPS isn't working. The lady I talked to was really nice and after putting me on hold for a couple of minutes she came back and asked me if she can put me on hold again cause she will transfer me to a customer service rep. Talking to the customer service rep, she also was really nice and she acted genuinely concerned and said that a bulletin has been issued and it's a simple fix. She asked me on who is my preferred dealer and asked to call me back and took my cell number. She called back and told me that she called the dealer and talked to the service manager and told him on what needs to be done and told me that there is even a step by step procedures that he had printed out and asked me if I would like for her to have the dealer service manager to join us in a conference call so I can ask him anything I want and I said that won't be necessary. I went to the dealer and he confirmed talking to GM rep and already had the procedures printed which was like in other threads, mainly wrapping about 10 inches on both sides of the GPS plug ( blue cable ). Both me and the technician were skeptic on the results but to my surprise, it had been working flawlessly since then. So, it might save the C7 owners some grief to call OnStar first instead of arguing with the dealer. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe that could be a short cut. Hopefully that might help some of the C7 owners who has that problem.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

What would help is if you could get the bulletin number (from your dealer) and post it here. That is all anyone would need to take to their dealer to get the fix done.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Two Toes
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I spoke to a GM rep. two days ago about my none GPS issue in my 12 day old car, she stated that there was NO FIX at this time. I was added to a contact list and I would be emailed when there is a solution. I have also read that the "wrapping (shielding) of the cable(s)" was a band aid and was due to fail again. So, I look with interest and concern; where lies the truth? Better yet, where lies the fix.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Wilross3
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for your update! I spoke with two separate GM reps today who had never heard of the problem and after leaving me on hold said there was no "fix" and no TSB issued yet. The PIC6043 is only a preliminary bulletin and basically just tells the tech to call GM technical support for troubleshooting. A copy of the step by step directions would be very helpful if you can post it! I may try OnStar this weekend if I have time. Thanks!

Bill
Old 11-19-2014, 05:52 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,572 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I wonder why this problem seems to be exclusive to the 2015s? The GPS on my 2014 has been working flawlessly...
Old 11-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
I wonder why this problem seems to be exclusive to the 2015s? The GPS on my 2014 has been working flawlessly...
Because it is apparently related to interference from the PDR which the 2014's didn't have and only some 2015's have.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ksf
I picked up my C7 10 days ago. Artic White with Adrenaline Red interior, 2LT with NAV and PDR, convertible. I bought it from a dealer in a different state, flew in, picked it up and drove it back home ( 350 miles ). As expected, the GPS had signal for maximum 2 minutes in the whole 5 hours drive which I had to depend on my phone to get home. The next morning I was planning to go to the dealer but reading through the posts here, I didn't think it'll be an easy mission so instead, I hit the OnStar button and talked to a rep. and asked them to run a diagnostic because my GPS isn't working. The lady I talked to was really nice and after putting me on hold for a couple of minutes she came back and asked me if she can put me on hold again cause she will transfer me to a customer service rep. Talking to the customer service rep, she also was really nice and she acted genuinely concerned and said that a bulletin has been issued and it's a simple fix. She asked me on who is my preferred dealer and asked to call me back and took my cell number. She called back and told me that she called the dealer and talked to the service manager and told him on what needs to be done and told me that there is even a step by step procedures that he had printed out and asked me if I would like for her to have the dealer service manager to join us in a conference call so I can ask him anything I want and I said that won't be necessary. I went to the dealer and he confirmed talking to GM rep and already had the procedures printed which was like in other threads, mainly wrapping about 10 inches on both sides of the GPS plug ( blue cable ). Both me and the technician were skeptic on the results but to my surprise, it had been working flawlessly since then. So, it might save the C7 owners some grief to call OnStar first instead of arguing with the dealer. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe that could be a short cut. Hopefully that might help some of the C7 owners who has that problem.
ksf - Yes, I'd be interested in seeing the step-by-step procedures as well. Can you post them?
Old 11-19-2014, 06:25 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

What are the chances that cars scheduled to be built now will have this addressed at the factory before shipment?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:28 PM
ksf
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rave
ksf - Yes, I'd be interested in seeing the step-by-step procedures as well. Can you post them?
Actually when I was talking to the GM rep., I asked her to give me the bulletin no. and she gave me PIC6043 which obviously is just to call what GM calls a GM expert. After my fix was done, I asked the technician to give me a copy of the step by step and he apologized and told me that he can't. the weekend after that, I was visiting my Lexus dealer and I met a guy who just bought his C7 and we started talking and when I asked him about his GPS he told me that he's been through the same and his GPS now works perfect and that he has a copy of the step by step and I got a copy of his copy. I have it scanned but I don't wanna put it on the forum for any legals. Send me a PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:40 AM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ksf: Got your PM, thank you
Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 AM
ksf
8th Gear

Originally Posted by VINDIC8R
ksf: Got your PM, thank you
You're welcome, glad I could help.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Two Toes
Instructor

A PM is on the way: thank you
Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Two Toes
Instructor

Thank you for your email. This info make sense; The GPS works with the engine OFF, but doesn't work with the engine RUNNING. The difference being the PDR is operational when the car is running, thus the electrical interference.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:18 PM
philip513
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the "wrap" fix on my 2015 last week. It worked but the dealer told me there will be a software update in a month or two.
Phil
Old 11-22-2014, 05:01 PM
ksf
8th Gear

Actually I happened to know about the update too and from what I know is that the camera and the PDR is on all the time by default and the update will turn the camera and the PDR off by default and will only turn on when using the PDR option.

The next thing I'm just guessing, I think the same update will have something to do also with the PDR recording in Valet mode but like I said, that last part is just a conclusion of mine.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:11 PM
ksf
8th Gear

By the way, just as a side not, the fix was really simple and it really done by taking off two part and reinstalling them other than adding the aluminum foil tape.

The scary part was that one of those two parts was the rear view mirror to be taken off and honestly, I saw myself the reference in the service manual on how to take it off and it really wasn't clear but it ended up being really simple, just insert 2 screw drivers or something similar in the bottom two holes in the back of the mirror after taking the back cover off and then twist both screw drivers like you're closing a valve or turning a handle bar of a bicycle to the right and the mirror will come off.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:16 PM
cards51
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ksf
Actually when I was talking to the GM rep., I asked her to give me the bulletin no. and she gave me PIC6043 which obviously is just to call what GM calls a GM expert. After my fix was done, I asked the technician to give me a copy of the step by step and he apologized and told me that he can't. the weekend after that, I was visiting my Lexus dealer and I met a guy who just bought his C7 and we started talking and when I asked him about his GPS he told me that he's been through the same and his GPS now works perfect and that he has a copy of the step by step and I got a copy of his copy. I have it scanned but I don't wanna put it on the forum for any legals. Send me a PM.
I took my car in for the fix this week.....I would love a copy please as well....thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To My experience and possibly a short cut for the GPS red X problem

Quick Reply: My experience and possibly a short cut for the GPS red X problem