Sponsored by:

Oh Marissa...from GM Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

I tried...I give up...good luck guys, I pay and change my own oil....
Old 11-20-2014, 03:03 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi Guys,

A thread with my name in the title? You really know how to get a gals attention! I checked the official guidelines for the 2 year/24,000 mile maintenance plan, and your owners manual. On page 11-12 in the 2014 manual there is a chart stating: "Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1® specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended. For track events or competitive driving, use Mobil 1® engine oil. See Engine Oil on page 10-10."

I did try and dig for more specifics, but was unable to come up with much more. I apologize if this isn't hitting your exact inquiry!

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hey Glen,

If you're still within the maintenance plan time/mileage, and you haven't had all four oil changes performed you shouldn't be charged. I am happy to look into this on an a case-by-case basis for any of you guys!

I also saw your post on the other forum, and will be getting there shortly!

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Due to general confusion at dealerships, the question asked was what kind of oil are C7 required to get. Some of us, including myself have gotten AC Delco semi synthetic, others are getting mobil one.
The same way some dealers are refusing to perform an oil change unless the DIC is at 20 %, due to their ignorance, we want to make sure that their ignorance does not carry over to other services.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:24 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Not unexpected, I have yet to see the GM customer care reps resolve anything, either on this forum or the Cadillac CTS-V forum I was previously a member of.

Just talk, nothing more.

Lance
Old 11-20-2014, 03:29 PM
tnspd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2104 Z51 Stingray and just got my oil changed at the one year mark because the dealer said it had to be 20% life or one year. The car only has 2,500 miles on it to date. I was also told that is the only free oil change I get. Am I suppose to get more than one free oil change and if so when should I be asking to get it changed?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:36 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tnspd
I have a 2104 Z51 Stingray and just got my oil changed at the one year mark because the dealer said it had to be 20% life or one year. The car only has 2,500 miles on it to date. I was also told that is the only free oil change I get. Am I suppose to get more than one free oil change and if so when should I be asking to get it changed?
Should be 4 freebies but as you can see there is no definitive answer on which oil is to be used and some of the posters have really tried hard on this. My dealer said he'd change it when I wanted but I don't know which oil they'll use. I usually take my own filter and Mobil 1 in and they change it for $23 so not a big deal for me. Maybe by the time I bring my C7 out of storage next April, we'll have the answer.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:44 PM
SFZX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
My sentiments exactly Glen!! I went in to get a first change at 3500 miles they looked at me as though I were crazy because the computer said over 60% oil life left. The problem is we can't be trusted to think for ourselves any more. I was informed, "GM says we can't change the oil till its 20% or less oil life."
I asked about mobil 1, they said I could have it if I paid them 110.00 for an oil change. You don't want to know what I actually told the shop foreman he could do with his mobil 1 and his dexos blend.
End of story! I'll do my own oil changes thank you GM, you build a great car but your dealer system stinks big time! There really needs to be some consistency in the info given out by the dealers that represent you.. In actuality magnusson act says you can only require an oil if they supply it for free, since we don't know what dexos 1 semi syn is that they give us for free how do we buy that oil to stay in agreement with warranty?
So to stay in warranty we can only use oil suppliers that have caved in to GM's demands for licensing fees to be called dexos 1 approved.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

After reading these posts, my plan will be to contact area dealers to determine if any use Mobil1 (obviously if the 1st one contacted replies in the affirmative, that's where I'll take it).
Thanks all for your posts.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Well, I do know what's in my engine. It's Mobil1, because I put it in there. $50 including the filter plus a little of my time
Old 11-21-2014, 12:40 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lancekl
Not unexpected, I have yet to see the GM customer care reps resolve anything, either on this forum or the Cadillac CTS-V forum I was previously a member of.

Just talk, nothing more.

Lance

Lance,

I have to agree. I have communicated with reps here, on the phone, and at the dealer relating to Audio system features that are documented in the owners manual but don't work.

The stock answer (after months of trying..), "it's working as designed"

"But, the owners manual says..."

Sorry sir, "It's working as designed"

Ed
Old 12-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi all,
We wanted to make you aware of some updated information we have received in regard to Chevrolet Corvette maintenance schedule. Effective Immediately, GM is changing the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems. You will have one additional oil change added to your schedule. Please contact your Chevrolet dealership for more detailed information.

Also, we would like to clarify some confusion in regard to the 2 year maintenance warranty. In your owner’s manual, it may state there is a recommended oil to use during your oil change. Please remember, this is only a recommendation as we will not endorse one brand over another. During the 2 year maintenance plan, Corvettes with RPO LS7 and Camaros with RPO LT1 include Mobil 1 synthetic. If you need further assistance, we are only a private message away.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Hi all,
We wanted to make you aware of some updated information we have received in regard to Chevrolet Corvette maintenance schedule. Effective Immediately, GM is changing the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems. You will have one additional oil change added to your schedule. Please contact your Chevrolet dealership for more detailed information.

Also, we would like to clarify some confusion in regard to the 2 year maintenance warranty. In your owner’s manual, it may state there is a recommended oil to use during your oil change. Please remember, this is only a recommendation as we will not endorse one brand over another. During the 2 year maintenance plan, Corvettes with RPO LS7 and Camaros with RPO LT1 include Mobil 1 synthetic. If you need further assistance, we are only a private message away.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks for the heads up
Old 12-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

so to clarify:

the z06 gets mobil1 free? - every other C7 gets Dexos semi syn paid for by chev?

and if the dealer wants to give out Mobil 1 he (or you) pay the upcharge?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

What if we don't want the dealer changing our oil? Can we get the oil and filter free and do it ourselves? (4 times)
Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last vette came with Mobil 1 as factory fill so I changed mine at 1k and installed the 2 magnetic drain plugs. Mobil 1, PF64 and the plugs came to a total of about $55.
Maybe if a couple of free oil changes is that important maybe a Corvette was a little pricey for some folks. A Cruze or Malibu would be have been better financially. Just saying.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:30 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Immediately, GM is changing the required maintenance schedule for all . During the 2 year maintenance plan, Corvettes with RPO LS7 and Camaros with RPO LT1 include Mobil 1 synthetic.
Am I really confused here or did Marissa say that backwards? Did she mean, "Corvettes with RPO LT1 and Camaros with RPO LS7 include Mobil 1 synthetic?"
Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8ful
My last vette came with Mobil 1 as factory fill so I changed mine at 1k and installed the 2 magnetic drain plugs. Mobil 1, PF64 and the plugs came to a total of about $55.
Maybe if a couple of free oil changes is that important maybe a Corvette was a little pricey for some folks. A Cruze or Malibu would be have been better financially. Just saying.
Baller.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:09 PM
vettekat2007
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
To Glen's point and pointed out by rotherd31, here it is in black and white what the manual says recommending Mobil 1 for dry sump (Z51) cars:

This is on pages 10-16 and 10-17 for the 2015 Owner Manual.

Get notified of new replies

To Oh Marissa...from GM Customer Service

Old 12-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

"Recommends" is not required....
Old 12-01-2014, 01:23 PM
vettekat2007
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi all,

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Page 10-17 of the 2015 owner manual states that Mobil1 oil is recommended for all dry sump equipped engines. Immediately below that it states "Failure to use the recommended engine oil can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty". Holy shitake Batman!!!! Apparently "recommends" does mean "required" unless you don't care about the warranty!!!

Last edited by vettekat2007; 12-01-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 PM
cg02175
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Marissa,

Please give us a straight/direct answer to the question. IMO, your responses have been beat around the bush answers. If GM recommends Mobile 1 oil (see Glen E's Post), is the dealership suppose to pay for it? Most dealerships are cheaping out and only offering the Dexos Blend oil when it comes time for the oil changes.

Last edited by cg02175; 12-01-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Oh Marissa...from GM Customer Service