Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh Marissa...from GM Customer Service

Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi all, We wanted to make you aware of some updated information we have received in regard to Chevrolet Corvette maintenance schedule. Effective Immediately, GM is changing the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems. You will have one additional oil change added to your schedule. Please contact your Chevrolet dealership for more detailed information. Also, we would like to clarify some confusion in regard to the 2 year maintenance warranty. In your owner’s manual, it may state there is a recommended oil to use during your oil change. Please remember, this is only a recommendation as we will not endorse one brand over another. During the 2 year maintenance plan, Corvettes with RPO LS7 and Camaros with RPO LT1 include Mobil 1 synthetic. If you need further assistance, we are only a private message away. Marissa Chevrolet Customer Care
I paid for my first oil change. Am I entitled to a refund? Pm sent
Old 12-01-2014, 03:30 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cg02175
Marissa,

Please give us a straight/direct answer to the question. IMO, your response have been beat around the bush answers. If GM recommends Mobile 1 oil (see Glen E's Post), is the dealership suppose to pay for it? Most dealerships are cheaping out and only offering the Dexos Blend oil when it comes time for the oil changes.
Unfortunately I doubt you will get a straight answer.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Glen, it was a valiant effort, but I don't believe we will get a black & white answer to the question. Nice try though.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Glen, it was a valiant effort, but I don't believe we will get a black & white answer to the question. Nice try though.
I am damn sure that the dealer has to pay a part of the Mobil 1 bill, and if he does not want to, he is trying to get it from the customer...it's the only reason any dealer would welch on the Mobil 1 thing.

This could all be solved by a frank talk with any service manager - doesn't anyone know what the serv mgr hears when he calls warranty? There are only about 100 people at Chev HQ administering warranty, it's a huge department!

I am trying to find out, taking another avenue...
Old 12-01-2014, 05:17 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

A few years ago, I was running Mobil 1 in my G8 GT, when I developed an oil leak. It turned out to be the silicone pan seal, that had failed in a bunch of the L-76 engines. The dealer refused to use Mobil 1 and wanted the full price of a Mobil 1 oil change which was $120. I was allowed to drop off Mobil 1 for a fill (9 qts) and I'm positive the used it in someone elses engine ( likely the mechanics's) as they didn't give me back the 5 Qt pail with 1 gal remaining.

Even if they tell us we will get Mobil 1, unless we see them put it in, I doubt we will get it.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob

Even if they tell us we will get Mobil 1, unless we see them put it in, I doubt we will get it.
Respectfully, that's a fairly ridiculous notion with today's dealerships owned by corporations and groups such as Penske and autonation.

Last edited by Glen e; 12-01-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:14 PM
sharpseadog
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Hi Marissa, hope you are well, on post #26 here you answered a question about WHEN we can get the free oil changes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587761381

Now one final question: WHAT kind of oil does each model get?

I'm going to guess that Z51 and z06 cars get Mobil1, and the non z51 gets dexos approved semi syn oil? In other words, a base owner can be charged an upgrade charge if he wants Mobil 1??

Thanks!
Marissa,

I am attaching the text of the e-mail I sent to the Marketing Manager for Chevrolet Performance Cars. I will post the reply when I receive it.

I recently encountered a situation impacting me and all other Z51 Corvette owners and am bringing this to your attention for resolution. I regularly visit the Corvette Forum and this issue is being raised by many others.

When we purchased these cars, “2 years of free maintenance“ was included in the purchase price.

This Tuesday I first became aware of a GM service bulletin requiring a 500 mile initial oil change on all “dry sump” engine equipped Corvettes.

My owners manual states on page 10-17: “GM recommends Mobil 1 engine oils that show the DEXOS 1 approved logo for its dry sump equipped engines.” Immediately below this is a “Caution” stating “Failure to use the recommended engine oil can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.”

Already having nearly 1300 miles on my car I immediately contacted the dealer and had the work done yesterday.

I told the Service Manager of the owners manual requirement for Mobil 1, but he told me that he only got reimbursed $35 for doing this work and if I wanted Mobil 1, I would have to pay the difference.

I agreed to this on a disputed basis, but was shocked when the invoice for this service was over $70 (incl $5.57 sales tax). The Service Manage told me that he had reduced the price for the Mobil 1 by the cost of the DEXOS blend.

I believe when GM sells a car with 2 years of “free maintenance”, no one should be charged extra for the recommended Mobil 1 motor oil.

And if it is GM’s policy not include the recommended motor oil in it’s “Free Maintenance” program, that fact should be made clear to buyers, and dealers should not be grossly over charging for the upgrade. I can purchase Mobil 1 locally at retail for $4.80 per quart.

To be charged $8.19 per quart over and above the value of the DEXOS blend is a massive overcharge, and is a best a very poor business practice.

Please answer the following questions:
1. Is the factory oil fill in Z51 Corvettes Mobile 1?
2. Is the 2 years “free maintenance” for Z51’s supposed to include Mobile 1?
3. If the answer to the above is no, then please provide what you believe is a “reasonable” surcharge for the upgrade.
4. Also, I believe many would appreciate hearing what prompted the service bulletin requiring a 500 mile initial after break in oil change.

I would appreciate hearing from you at your earliest convenience and will pass on the info to the Corvette Forum.

Sharpseadog
TR 2LT Z51 Vert.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 PM
iLLuSiON38
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the lack of dealership knowledge and GM's failure to provide clear and guided information. I had my oil changed on my 2015 Z51 this weekend with 545 miles and had to argue with the service manager on whether to use the dexos or mobile 1. He refused to use mobile 1 as the oil cap says dexos and wanted to charge me an extra $80 to upgrade to mobile 1. I finally obliged and went with the dexos.

We really need a clear answer from GM if mobile 1 is the oil to use in our corvettes. And for them to post a service bulletin and communicate to the dealers. And if so, I better get my recent oil change replaced with mobile 1 and not count it towards the 5 free oil change services.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Per the above info about chev only paying the dealer $35 per change, I don't think Chev will ever give an direct answer, even from the marketing guy above, as this policy is a "dealer contribution" issue which is touchy discussing in the dealer network. Chevrolet is asking the dealers to pitch in to do the upcharge and dealers being dealers, some won't do it. So there is no way they can say what the policy is, as they don't discuss dealer/mfr polices with consumers.

just my guess...
Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Will my local dealer honor the four free oil changes?

I bought my c7 out of state as no one close would honor my discount code.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by oyealiz
Will my local dealer honor the four free oil changes?

I bought my c7 out of state as no one close would honor my discount code.
where you bought should have no bearing..it's a chev program, not a dealer program (mostly...LOL)

I went in today to have my screen replaced at a dealer that is 1200 miles away from where I bought, they did not care, gave me great service, offered a loaner, and said they use Mobil 1 on EVERY C7 Vette that comes in, no questions asked. MOST of the dealers are doing the right thing.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:10 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

... $40.00 for Mobil 1 & a Delco filter. 15 minutes on my back bonding with my car.....priceless. Easier and faster then going to the dealer and not being in control.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:12 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

where you bought should have no bearing..it's a chev program, not a dealer program (mostly...LOL)

I went in today to have my screen replaced at a dealer that is 1200 miles away from where I bought, they did not care, gave me great service, offered a loaner, and said they use Mobil 1 on EVERY C7 Vette that comes in, no questions asked. MOST of the dealers are doing the right thing.
Thanks!

Which screen were you having replaced?

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
... $40.00 for Mobil 1 & a Delco filter. 15 minutes on my back bonding with my car.....priceless. Easier and faster then going to the dealer and not being in control.
I changed the oil in my car once. On one of my c5s. Don't care to ever do it again.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 AM
cg02175
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpseadog
Marissa,

I am attaching the text of the e-mail I sent to the Marketing Manager for Chevrolet Performance Cars. I will post the reply when I receive it.

I recently encountered a situation impacting me and all other Z51 Corvette owners and am bringing this to your attention for resolution. I regularly visit the Corvette Forum and this issue is being raised by many others.

When we purchased these cars, “2 years of free maintenance“ was included in the purchase price.

This Tuesday I first became aware of a GM service bulletin requiring a 500 mile initial oil change on all “dry sump” engine equipped Corvettes.

My owners manual states on page 10-17: “GM recommends Mobil 1 engine oils that show the DEXOS 1 approved logo for its dry sump equipped engines.” Immediately below this is a “Caution” stating “Failure to use the recommended engine oil can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.”

Already having nearly 1300 miles on my car I immediately contacted the dealer and had the work done yesterday.

I told the Service Manager of the owners manual requirement for Mobil 1, but he told me that he only got reimbursed $35 for doing this work and if I wanted Mobil 1, I would have to pay the difference.

I agreed to this on a disputed basis, but was shocked when the invoice for this service was over $70 (incl $5.57 sales tax). The Service Manage told me that he had reduced the price for the Mobil 1 by the cost of the DEXOS blend.

I believe when GM sells a car with 2 years of “free maintenance”, no one should be charged extra for the recommended Mobil 1 motor oil.

And if it is GM’s policy not include the recommended motor oil in it’s “Free Maintenance” program, that fact should be made clear to buyers, and dealers should not be grossly over charging for the upgrade. I can purchase Mobil 1 locally at retail for $4.80 per quart.

To be charged $8.19 per quart over and above the value of the DEXOS blend is a massive overcharge, and is a best a very poor business practice.

Please answer the following questions:
1. Is the factory oil fill in Z51 Corvettes Mobile 1?
2. Is the 2 years “free maintenance” for Z51’s supposed to include Mobile 1?
3. If the answer to the above is no, then please provide what you believe is a “reasonable” surcharge for the upgrade.
4. Also, I believe many would appreciate hearing what prompted the service bulletin requiring a 500 mile initial after break in oil change.

I would appreciate hearing from you at your earliest convenience and will pass on the info to the Corvette Forum.

Sharpseadog
TR 2LT Z51 Vert.

Excellent questions/points. My experience with GM Customer service has been terrible. I doubt we will even get another response from Marissa. Even if she does respond, she will likely give the same "beat around the bush" indirect answers.

Last edited by cg02175; 12-02-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:57 AM
BlueSting
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well I can tell you the factory fill is Mobil 1.......(or Mobil is lying about it)

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...d_mobil_1.aspx
Old 12-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Default My previous post...

As stated in my previous post on this topic. I bought my C7 (non z51) from Kerbeck but I have it serviced at my local dealer in AZ. I've had 2 oil changes thus far, at 1,345 and 5,000 miles and both times I watched them put in Mobil 1, at my request, and I paid only $30 additional. It is painfully obvious that GM needs to step up and set a policy for all its dealers to charge a set price if a non Z51 C7 owner wants Mobil 1. And if the manual recommends Mobil 1 for Z51's and Z06's then it should be done with no added charge.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mythird1
. It is painfully obvious that GM needs to step up and set a policy for all its dealers to charge a set price if a non Z51 C7 owner wants Mobil 1. .
unfortunately, illegal in most, if not all, the states....

Get notified of new replies

To Oh Marissa...from GM Customer Service

Old 12-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,090 Posts

unfortunately, illegal in most, if not all, the states....
OK...that would be price fixing....but at least set a policy to be followed....
Old 12-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mythird1
OK...that would be price fixing....but at least set a policy to be followed....
but see my posts about dealer contrib $, thsts what GM cant control with a policy decree....
Old 12-02-2014, 04:53 PM
sharpseadog
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cg02175
Excellent questions/points. My experience with GM Customer service has been terrible. I doubt we will even get another response from Marissa. Even if she does respond, she will likely give the same "beat around the bush" indirect answers.
My contact was on a brief Thanksgiving mini vacation, he got back Monday, and I heard from him today. He did have answer on why the 500 mile initial oil change. It confirmed info posted on the forum. Had to do with an oil foaming problem related to silicone sealers used in engine. Evidently the problem occurs during break in and after that everything is good. He contact promised to get back to me re: the other issues/questions.

Does make me wonder if oil foaming was what has been causing the problems reported on the forum re: oil getting into PCV system, intake manifold and contaminating air filters. Could be more related to problem than over filling. I would like to hear from engineering their opinion on this.

My contact has been incredibly helpful to me and very responsive. I believe he represents the new, more customer-centric management culture the Mary Barra is building at GM. I believe she will lead GM to become the World Class Industry leader we all want it to be. Our C7's are an excellent example of what GM can do with excellent management leadership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oh Marissa...from GM Customer Service