Sponsored by:

Sharkbar Install With Competition Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:22 PM
pistolpete817
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Lap Belt and Crotch Belt Update

After looking at the lap belt and crotch belt setup that I started with (pictures 1 and 2), I decided that the crotch belt was acting more like a 5 point harness than a 6 point harness. All the info I have says the 6 point has advantages. So I rearranged the belt hook up. I used my GForce spring loaded attachment clips. instead of the chain links.

Pictures 3 and 4 show the new arrangement. The crotch belt is at it's maximum useable length with a safety wrap on the end. The lap belt has plenty of length. Both are hooked to the outside eye bolts on the Sharkbar floor mount in the pictures. The crotch belt will not work on the inside eye bolts. The lap belt probably will work. I will try it attached to the inside eye bolt. I will only have one hook in each eye bolt if that works. It is trouble getting the attachment hooks off of the mounting eye bolts. It is pretty crowed with two hooks attached.

To avoid a conflict with the back of the seat, the tension buckles must be close to the attachment hooks. Working the belts between the side of the seat and the center console requires some patience. It is easy to get one twisted.

Next track day is Dec 6. This is a toy run at Eagle Canyon Raceway in Decatur Texas. 25 year old grandson is passenger. He is very macho but he has never done anything like this before. He will be the first passenger using the belts. I asked him to go very easy on the breakfast. I don't want him throwing up in the car.

Last edited by pistolpete817; 08-25-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by pistolpete817
Pictures 3 and 4 show the new arrangement. The crotch belt is at it's maximum useable length with a safety wrap on the end.
This is how I mounted the 6-pt in my ZR1 (using Caravaggio's Daytona seats). You definitely don't want the anti-sub belt crushing the jimmies, and if the individual halves of it are too close together, that's precisely what will happen...
Old 05-10-2016, 06:32 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

I'm looking to copy this setup next year.

I assume you sit on the lower two belts (the sub) and have them come up between your legs and the upper two (the lap belts) go over your legs. But all of them go AROUND the side of the seat and attach to the OUTER eyelets on the mount in back?
Old 12-17-2020, 11:20 AM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

How much space in inches from top of sharkbar to interior roof panel?
FYI from C7 "bump" to interior roof is 16inches WITHOUT bar
Old 12-17-2020, 01:26 PM
mariomark
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 66 Posts

My advice to anyone who installs one of these is to stuff rags into every space you see underneath where you take the seatbelt nut off the pillar. We had one take a bounce and go down a hole. Flexible magnet saved the day.
The following users liked this post:
TxLefty (12-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Sharkbar Install With Competition Seats