C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?

Old 11-25-2014, 03:06 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,983 Likes on 935 Posts

I think it has gotten the attention of the affluent younger buyer more than the C6. Some of my exotic owner friends are giving some high praises to the C7. It's a car that doesn't looks and feel out of place in garages that once housed $200K+ cars.

That said though, it still has some of the stigma left and some more work to be done. Based on some of the dealers pictures of new owners, they seem to be a lot of older people still wearing their outdated clothes, etc. (no offense to any one).

Another thing is dealership experience and advertising. Let's face it, life and decisions have a lot to do with perception and the Corvette seems a little out of place in a Chevrolet dealership. And for advertising, GM needs to make more sophisticated ad campaigns that cater to the clients with more sophisticated tastes.

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 11-25-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:22 PM
08Vert
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
It's a shame that other people prevented you from driving something you potentially would have enjoyed owning...I buy my cars for my enjoyment. I could care less what others think.

Actually could Not care less. But I disagree with people who claim they don't care what other's think. They do care a LOT more than most will admit
Other people did not prevent him from buying...His own idea of the PERCEPTION of the car did.

People wear their cars like clothing in as much drive them. So a certain perception is either something you want others to see or not. A Timex keeps better time than a Rolex in its actual primary purpose but the Rolex is worn for perception of success. IN ward and outward. (Although I personally disagree with that as the faux Rolex is as common as the cold). Many people live their lives from the outside in an pay a high price to do so. Not as many live from the inside out. You will find them driving old pick up trucks while their 2015 Z06 stays in their investment account.

For a long time Buick's had the perception of being an old man car. This GM had to change their marketing to attract younger people. Harleys were also in the same boat. So HD had to come out with "Hipster" bike and is trying to change that perception of the "bad *** long haired wannabee biker" . The worse thing Corvette could do is be perceived as a Buick by young successful people who would rather be seen in a Porche

Last edited by 08Vert; 11-25-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:58 PM
BelchfireV8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Nosferatu;1588341245]It's a shame that other people prevented you from driving something you potentially would have enjoyed owning...I buy my cars for my enjoyment. I could care less what others think.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:10 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daemek
I bought my 2015 Corvette and even now my younger wife loves it.
My "younger wife" loves being called that too!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:01 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Go to a large Corvette event like Carlisle, and see what the age range of owners look like. That will give you your real life answer.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I got my first C5 'vert in 2005, my second C5 'vert (both used) in 2006, kept that 7 years and my new C7 on Dec 20 2014. I'm 44 years old and this will definitely not be my last Corvette. I'm not a brand loyalist but I am a model loyalist so just because I love Corvettes that doesn't mean I love Chevy although I have (had) Camaros, Grand National, Jimmy's.....
Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Calif Vetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking of making an impression. My best friend and I had taken our wives, I think I was married then, to the Playboy Club on Sunset Blvd. for dinner and a show. He had a new 70 4speed British Racing green T Top Coupe and I had a Yellow 4 speed T top with full length Blk. stripe and American Mags.

We had to Valet the cars. After the show there was a large group of people waiting for their cars and the Valet's brought both Vettes up together, and parked right in front of us. I heard one woman say " wow, check this out" . Of course when we left I chirped the tires when shifting to 2nd.

We wern't old then.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

I don't know how the C7 has changed the stereotype and I don't care.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I would venture to guess that Chevrolet would like to keep current owners but love to broaden their "range" of buyers by getting younger owners to join the fold. I think they'll do it with this C7 Stingray.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I would venture to guess that Chevrolet would like to keep current owners but love to broaden their "range" of buyers by getting younger owners to join the fold. I think they'll do it with this C7 Stingray.

I have talked to a number of first time Corvette owners with C7's who are in my age bracket (35-45) at various drag strips and road courses over the last ~year. Several of them came from BMW, Audi and lower end Porsches.

Corvette was never seriously on my radar until January '13, when the C7 was revealed. IMO they have done great things with the car.

And mark me down as one who could have easily bought a ZR1 but bought a C7 a little over a year after buying a 2nd GT-R after browsing Gen 4 Vipers and ZR1's.
S.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

I guess GM plan worked well. I just turned 38. First time corvette owner. My Z51 has TPW 12/1. I have never considered corvette. I am more into BMW and Porsche but now a big fan of the C7
Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Current Sales data......
Where can I find this data? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:40 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VINDIC8R
I am 63 knocking on the door of 64. The C4 was, at best evolutionary, not revolutionary. The C5s and C6s were just plain expensive - too expensive for the ride and so-so quality.

Suffice it to say, the C7 is different.
Do you know the difference between evolutionary and revolutionary?
I don't know what point you were trying to make but the C4 would be the definition of revolutionary over the outgoing C3 . I don't believe there was one carry over part from any Corvette through the 81 model year to the C4. That is hardly evolutionary.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:06 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
Do you know the difference between evolutionary and revolutionary?
I don't know what point you were trying to make but the C4 would be the definition of revolutionary over the outgoing C3 . I don't believe there was one carry over part from any Corvette through the 81 model year to the C4. That is hardly evolutionary.
I grant you the C4 was revolutionary in its day; but then the C7 happened reducing the C4 to evolutionary - okay maybe innovative. The whole front lifting "hood" does not a revolution make. I will give some merit for its steering improvements and selective ride. I am not convinced it changed the Corvette stereotype with respect to ownership.

Last edited by VINDIC8R; 11-26-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:22 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Another entertaining/amusing thread on the C7 Forum. (The gift that never stops giving). Anyway, I was at Carlisle for two days this last August. And, the Ocean City Md. Corvette weekend in October. All I saw were old, paunchy guys raving about their C7s. And, stuffing themselves in the driver's seat convinced that they fit. Also, look at all the Criswell delivery photos posted on the Forum. How many sub 50/60 year olds do you see? So, IMHO, the old, bald, paunchy guys "in outmoded clothes"are still keeping the marque afloat.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:28 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Originally Posted by 89L98
Another entertaining/amusing thread on the C7 Forum. (The gift that never stops giving). Anyway, I was at Carlisle for two days this last August. And, the Ocean City Md. Corvette weekend in October. All I saw were old, paunchy guys raving about their C7s. And, stuffing themselves in the driver's seat convinced that they fit. Also, look at all the Criswell delivery photos posted on the Forum. How many sub 50/60 year olds do you see? So, IMHO, the old, bald, paunchy guys "in outmoded clothes"are still keeping the marque afloat.
Hey!!! I resemble that old, paunchy guy in outmoded clothes remark. Hellzbellz, I've got socks older than you, you young whippersnapper you [grumble]. And your little dog too, dagnabit!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:30 PM
BelchfireV8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too was at Carlisle, all 3 days. I had my former C5. I sat in the preproduction 2015`s that were there, and decided to order my Z-51. There was a good percentage of sub-geezers there. Since the C7 hasn`t been out that long, it will take time for the youngsters to build in number. I see a lot of them buying into the cheaper C5 and C6`s. They will come. Besides, the rice buggies rust out, eventually.

Get notified of new replies

To How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?

Old 11-26-2014, 04:32 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Originally Posted by BelchfireV8
I see a lot of them buying into the cheaper C5 and C6`s. They will come. Besides, the rice buggies rust out, eventually.
Good point about the younguns buying the C5s and C6s.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:46 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Meh, whatever. Most anytime I look over at a Porsche driver, it's some old bald headed dude, too, and they are often wearing some goofy hat to add to the look!

As a female who has had Corvettes for over 30 yrs, I've gone from being the "young" owner to the closer to "average" age owner. I'm very happy to be friends with all age Vette owners. Was particularly excited when theanswriz42 ordered his 2015!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:01 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Unfortunately, a lot of people still think that Corvette owners are old, balding, fat guys in loud Hawaiian shirts, gold chains, gold pinky rings and a long cigar. Personally, I don't give a flying fart what ignorant, non-car people think because I want the Z06 I've ordered just because I love the way it looks and performs, not what image I portray. Maybe if Chevrolet can attract a lot more young buyers, that 20th-century image might finally die.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?