Sponsored by:

Steering- Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:49 PM
TBRDS
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Steering- Is this possible?

Well, yes, it happened, but I don't understand. A couple of weeks ago I had my alignment checked at a dealer because car seems to pull, maybe drift, to the right. They said it was off and did alignment. Then it was better I think. Last week I went on a 250 mile drive. Right away I noticed the steering wheel seems to be 10 degrees off center to the right, when going straight. It bugged me all day, and I couldn't believe I didn't notice it before. The next day, got in the car, and it was fine. Drove 250 miles back and it wasn't off anymore. And no, there wasn't a big crosswind driving down. Actually there was coming back, but it had no effect.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:08 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

The steering wheel should be centered with hands off when going straight on a reasonably level road. Ten degrees off center would bug me, too.

A road with lots of crown or deep ruts (tram-lining) will make it necessary to put in some steering effort to go straight, and the wheel might not be centered. Ten degrees seems like a lot of correction to keep the car going straight, though.

Regardless, it shouldn't be changing from one condition to another.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I have no clue to offer but NO, it doesn't sound right. Invest a trip back to your dealer to have a conversation with their best alignment guy.

Several months ago just prior to a club cruise up to Charlotte, mine had started a small right hand drift as well. They aligned it and several thousand miles later it's still straight hands off (on level road) and so is the wheel .

Get notified of new replies

To Steering- Is this possible?

Quick Reply: Steering- Is this possible?