C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many would rather have a C7 Z51 over a C6 ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:33 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Would you mind writing a brief comparison between the two?!! Also if you can only keep one which would you choose?
I will do my best, I have been through several Corvettes. When the C7 was introduced I had a C6Z06 with around 600HP, I really wanted a C7 so I made the swap. Roughly 8 months after the C7 I started to miss the C6Z06 and it's power and decided that this time I would like to locate a ZR1.

C7
I love the looks, interior, different modes available with the twist of a **** goes from track car to touring car, Pandora, the many ways to configure the dash. Handles very good, low end torque is great, very fun to drive around town. I feel like the car is less likely to get away from me. Saved me at the NCM track in the rain when I overcooked an entry.

C6ZR1
Filled my need again for extreme power even more than the C6Z06. This car is around 800 HP. Rarity, there is only one other ZR1 in town. I had the 2nd C7 in town and now there must be at least 15 and growing.
Love the supercharger sound, the dual mode exhaust is more of change than the C7 modes. Love the looks of this car too, the brakes are outstanding, I love the factory transmission the close ratio is great. And of course the power is scary which I like, and it's more of a Hot Rod feel.

I alternate driving between these two cars on the weekend.
If I could only keep one? It's a coin toss, I would have to say the C7 because it is more practical and I feel more comfortable on a long trip and has a lot of warranty.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:52 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
I was driving in a nice part of town over the weekend with a friend of mine in my C7 Z51 and saw a very stunning red ZR1. I waved the whole time but I got no wave back though the ZR1 driver did eye my car heavily as I drove by. I don't think he liked how much better the C7 looked and how much younger I was IMO there's really no settling for less than a C7 now if you are looking to by a C4, C5, C6 or, C7. The C7 is such a big improvement over the previous years that it has made them really obselete in many ways.
You must be about 19 and this is your first Corvette with your thoughts and lack of respect for other Corvette's.

Next off your so wrong! I bought a ZR1 first.
1. It will prove out to still be the fastest Corvette. 205 will stand
so will it's 1/2 and mile times. Both nice cars but you act like a KID!
Maybe learn to spell words you don't understand!

The game boy display and dash are not as good as the timeless ZR1 dash.
The interior is over sold as the hater's picked the Zr1 interior and it is nice with more room
and is a lighter much faster package. Don't get off track about real speed and 60 ft times.
Minus the 60ft the C7 get's pulled very hard by any ZR1.

My C7 was sold yesterday! Zr1 is not up for sale and carries the clout not the C7!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 11-25-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

I feel the C6s are obsolete in many ways. The interior of the C6 is like a mid 1990s car and the exterior is just a slight bump over the C5. The C7 is a major advancement in all aspects.
Not obsolete at all you need to check the dictionary for meaning of the word! Runs on pump gas all parts can be purchased!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:02 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I much prefer my 2015 Z51 coupe to any C6. Of all the C6 models ever built my favorite by a long shot is the 427 Convertible; if I had owned one I probably would have kept it and not bought my Stingray. Now that I have my Stingray, though, there's no way I'd give it up for any C6.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:13 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

With no disrespect to the ZR1, I'd rather have my c7.

And all this young vs old crap is getting old. I've had vettes for 30+ years. Went from being a young owner to a not so young owner. So what?! I don't look in anyone's vette and decide to wave, or not, based on their age, that's for darn sure.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I much prefer my 2015 Z51 coupe to any C6. Of all the C6 models ever built my favorite by a long shot is the 427 Convertible; if I had owned one I probably would have kept it and not bought my Stingray. Now that I have my Stingray, though, there's no way I'd give it up for any C6.
I'm going to do both. So my C7 sold. My C6 Z06 is going also and I'm getting the 2015 Z06.

To have along with my ZR1. (4450 miles) Going to stay with those two.
Adding my ARH headers (currently at jethot) and pulley change and tune to the ZR1. The ZR1 has the C7 beat as a cooler car unless your biased on the C7 forum. All my friends agree.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:27 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

.I don't think he liked how much better the C7 looked and how much younger I was IMO there's really no settling for less than a C7 now if you are looking to by a C4, C5, C6 or, C7. The C7 is such a big improvement over the previous years that it has made them really obselete in many ways.
You make a lot of assumptions there. Nothing wrong with wanting any of the previous generations. Each generation is normally an improvement over the previous one but that doesn't make the older ones obsolete. And a lot of people either do not like the C7 or just do not want to spend that kind of money on one when they can still get good performance for a lot less money. And between a C7 Z51 and a C6 ZR1, I'd take the ZR1. The C7 Z06 is another story though.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:21 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I LOVE the ZR1, it's one of the best Corvettes that GM has ever made, but even still, I would take a C7 over it any day of the week. It's just a much more exotic looking car, I know the C6 isn't really obsolete, but IMO it does look dated compared to the C7.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:25 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This is like comparing apples to oranges.

I've had both and can honesty say I prefer driving my C7 Z51 because it has an auto transmission. I'm old and lazy and prefer having things done for me. That's not to say a 6 spd or 7 isn't fun in the twisties or on a track. Not many curves in South Florida, except on the beach!
Attached Images   
Old 11-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I prefer both.
x2

While I don't own a ZR1 I have a blown C6 that will out gun one in a straight line.

One's an analog anvil (C6). The other is a digital weapon of some sort (C7). They both respond differently. The others summed it up well and I agree with their points (for the two guys who commented on owning both). I am biased but I feel the C6 in black doesn't look as dated as some of the other colors.My fiance primarily drives the new one and I mostly drive the C6. I'm a sucker for the raw power.

Here's both of them at the Chevy show last weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I prefer both.

Nice! Not an option for most of us unfortunately.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
You must be about 19 and this is your first Corvette with your thoughts and lack of respect for other Corvette's.

Next off your so wrong! I bought a ZR1 first.
1. It will prove out to still be the fastest Corvette. 205 will stand
so will it's 1/2 and mile times. Both nice cars but you act like a KID!
Maybe learn to spell words you don't understand!

The game boy display and dash are not as good as the timeless ZR1 dash.
The interior is over sold as the hater's picked the Zr1 interior and it is nice with more room
and is a lighter much faster package. Don't get off track about real speed and 60 ft times.
Minus the 60ft the C7 get's pulled very hard by any ZR1.

My C7 was sold yesterday! Zr1 is not up for sale and carries the clout not the C7!
Lol I wish I could be 19 and afford a C7. And you talk about respect? That dude didn't even wave back. When I said younger I meant he was 60+ dude. I'm 39 and I can spell just fine sir!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Are you going to mod your stingray?
I think about modding it now and then but I really like the way it is. Plenty of power already and anything else would just get me in trouble traffic ticket wise and reduce reliability.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:58 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I was driving in a nice part of town over the weekend with a friend of mine in my C7 Z51 and saw a very stunning red ZR1. I waved the whole time but I got no wave back though the ZR1 driver did eye my car heavily as I drove by. I don't think he liked how much better the C7 looked and how much younger I was IMO there's really no settling for less than a C7 now if you are looking to by a C4, C5, C6 or, C7. The C7 is such a big improvement over the previous years that it has made them really obselete in many ways.
Quite a few assumptions on your part, based on the ZR1 driver looking at your car and not returning your wave.
Not sure I agree, but in any case it would be nice if we could all just be "car guys" and appreciate each others ride.
Having a ZR1 I doubt he was upset because you were younger or your C7 was better looking.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:04 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

I think about modding it now and then but I really like the way it is. Plenty of power already and anything else would just get me in trouble traffic ticket wise and reduce reliability.
I'm going to keep it simple at first and just do full bot ons and a tune.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvilin
Quite a few assumptions on your part, based on the ZR1 driver looking at your car and not returning your wave.
Not sure I agree, but in any case it would be nice if we could all just be "car guys" and appreciate each others ride.
Having a ZR1 I doubt he was upset because you were younger or your C7 was better looking.
Not sure what assumptions there would be. Neither of our cars had tinted windows and I did a lengthy wave and there's no way he could have missed it since he turned his head towards my car very early. I think the guy was some ZR1 elitist who never waves back. I guess I'll just settle for how hard he looked at my car.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:48 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Not sure what assumptions there would be. Neither of our cars had tinted windows and I did a lengthy wave and there's no way he could have missed it since he turned his head towards my car very early. I think the guy was some ZR1 elitist who never waves back. I guess I'll just settle for how hard he looked at my car.
Maybe he thought why is this yuppie in a Ferrari waving at me??

Get notified of new replies

To How many would rather have a C7 Z51 over a C6 ZR1?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Maybe he thought why is this yuppie in a Ferrari waving at me??
Maybe!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:40 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C7 since they don't make the ZR1 in automatic.

When I had my C6 I never had any C7s wave back at me. C7s are so nice - still queued for production. I plan to continue to wave at all Corvette and the occasional Firebird.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:18 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

It could be that while the ZR1 driver looked like he was eyeing the C7, maybe he was focusing on something completely different. Maybe the presence of the C7 never registered with him or if it did, it was after the opportunity to wave back had come and gone. Why assume that the lack of return wave came from a negative place?

Quick Reply: How many would rather have a C7 Z51 over a C6 ZR1?