C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to pull trigger on one of these two, new Vettes. Which is the better deal??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:19 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default I went with the 2015!!

Thanks for the advice, guys!! I went with the 2015!

Old 11-26-2014, 04:56 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Congrats!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:36 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Guys are unloading 2014 A6's to get into 2015 A8's( for stingrays and Z06's)
There seem to be more 2014s with M7 for sale than 2014s with A6.

More accurately stated - there are some people selling their C7, regardless of transmission, to get a Z06.

..and realistically, no one is an expert on why EVERY seller is selling their C7.

People's motivations are tough to nail down. We don't even know exactly what motived the OP to finally choose the 2015.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-26-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

congrats on that beautiful c7. i hope your first mod is to black stripe that chrome bar in the front grill i cannot stand that thing lol...

enjoy it in good health
Old 11-27-2014, 01:45 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
There seem to be more 2014s with M7 for sale than 2014s with A6.

More accurately stated - there are some people selling their C7, regardless of transmission, to get a Z06.

..and realistically, no one is an expert on why EVERY seller is selling their C7.

People's motivations are tough to nail down. We don't even know exactly what motived the OP to finally choose the 2015.
New and used nation wide on cars.com there are 335 new autos and 263 used auto. There are 174 used manuals and 126 new 14''s with sticks. about 2 to 1 auto to stick.

I'm guessing that ratio is about the same as what was produced.(but I'm not looking it up lol) One thing that would be hard to argue though is if you still have a 6 speed automatic on your lot you're going have to discount it a lot more to sell it unless the buyer is living under a rock. imo
Old 11-27-2014, 02:13 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I have the A8 and the 3LT and there is no way I would have considered the A6. Also for 2015 the 3LT comes with PDR which is pretty damn cool. The difference in materials between the 2LT and 3LT is night and day and anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is wrong. The 2LT dash/door/center console material is basically textured vinyl, it's not as bad as some Chevy products but it's noticeable especially when side by side with a 3LT. The 3LT leather surfaces are super smooth with very little texture which lends to a more refined looking interior, you also get the sueded upper areas (A-pillars and roll hoop) which also looks fantastic. Then theres the leather on the seats, I have GT seats so I have the Napa leather and it is amazing. I was on the fence when it came to 2LT and 3LT originally but once I sat in both the decision was no longer a decision.

As for the A8, this is the best auto I have ever driven, including the ZF8 speed in the Jags. I have never used the A6 but if the number of people switching out their Corvettes for the A8 is any indication, then it must not have been all that. I've been a cheerleader for the A8 ever since I bought mine because it really is that good, I love my manuals but for a car I drive this much the A8 is the better option. Quicker, more consistent acceleration figures than the A6 and M7, faster shifts, better computer management, and better fuel economy.

Just sayin.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:54 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Supermassive
I have the A8 and the 3LT and there is no way I would have considered the A6. Also for 2015 the 3LT comes with PDR which is pretty damn cool. The difference in materials between the 2LT and 3LT is night and day and anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is wrong. The 2LT dash/door/center console material is basically textured vinyl, it's not as bad as some Chevy products but it's noticeable especially when side by side with a 3LT. The 3LT leather surfaces are super smooth with very little texture which lends to a more refined looking interior, you also get the sueded upper areas (A-pillars and roll hoop) which also looks fantastic. Then theres the leather on the seats, I have GT seats so I have the Napa leather and it is amazing. I was on the fence when it came to 2LT and 3LT originally but once I sat in both the decision was no longer a decision.

As for the A8, this is the best auto I have ever driven, including the ZF8 speed in the Jags. I have never used the A6 but if the number of people switching out their Corvettes for the A8 is any indication, then it must not have been all that. I've been a cheerleader for the A8 ever since I bought mine because it really is that good, I love my manuals but for a car I drive this much the A8 is the better option. Quicker, more consistent acceleration figures than the A6 and M7, faster shifts, better computer management, and better fuel economy.

Just sayin.
If anything, you've done an awesome job of convincing yourself you made the right decisions on everything.

Not a lot of folks even selling their 2014s right now. ????

Those that saw the 2LT as the better choice over the 3LT compared interiors and couldn't justify the additional $4,000.00 especially since you'll get little of the extra $4,000.00 back at resale time.

There really are no wrong decisions when it comes to the C7. Generally, everyone is happy with the car.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-27-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
Interesting that most seem to tout the A8 despite the fact that the new transmission has no history yet. I was going to wait and order a 2015 until I learned about the A8. I then rushed out and bought a 2014 A6 from dealer stock because I specifically did not want the A8. I have yet to ride in or drive an A8 that I would own...all seem to constantly "hunt" for the right gear at lower speeds (annoying). Seems like overkill on a car that already achieves almost 30mpg hwy. Also, if you attend the Ron Fellows school, one of the first things you learn is that you only use the lst 4 gears (manual or auto) on the track...
How many A8's have you driven? I have been in two and neither hunted at all. Magazine reports indicate the A8 has nearly perfect shifting and shift mapping. So far it appears that outside of a few high end PDK transmissions like Porche it's one of the best out there!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:12 PM
wan65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
2015 without giving it a second thought.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:23 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Def go for the 2015 A8 Z51

Just saw your decision, yay
Old 11-27-2014, 04:52 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

are you financing or paying cash, if you're paying cash think of what you can do with that 8k.......think supercharger.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
If anything, you've done an awesome job of convincing yourself you made the right decisions on everything.

Not a lot of folks even selling their 2014s right now. ????

Those that saw the 2LT as the better choice over the 3LT compared interiors and couldn't justify the additional $4,000.00 especially since you'll get little of the extra $4,000.00 back at resale time.

There really are no wrong decisions when it comes to the C7. Generally, everyone is happy with the car.
See I feel like people looking at resale figures on their supposed toy are buying the car for the wrong reasons in the first place. I cant even begin to understand the mindset that justifies their purchase by claiming that. The extra $4k buys me a little more enjoyment from the car. As I said, the differences are noticeable, the quality and feel of the upgraded interior is noticeable, hell even the smell is better in the 3LT. On top of this you get the in dash nav, PDR, and sueded upper panels. Since the PDR option is $1.8k the upgraded materials in the car are basically a $2.2k premium.

As for people trading in their C7s for the A8 there are quite a few cases on this forum, and the dealer I bought mine from commented on the number of people who bought the 2014 C7 from them and turned around and bought the 2015 later...talk about repeat customers. Its no secret that the A8 is amazing, sure the purists get all up at arms and condemn the slush boxes as being no fun to drive, but in my short time I have had plenty of fun with my A8, and I have owned a manual transmission on pretty much every car I have had since my first 72 VW Super Beetle.

I didnt need to convince myself that I made the right purchase, because I never looked at the car and said "Well this option package wont increase the value when I decide to sell it later". I bought what I wanted, what I felt would make the car feel more special to me, and I have no plans on selling the car ever. That doesnt mean I wont someday, it just means I dont plan on selling it so why skimp on options that make the car feel a bit better to my preferences.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:25 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Supermassive
See I feel like people looking at resale figures on their supposed toy are buying the car for the wrong reasons in the first place. I cant even begin to understand the mindset that justifies their purchase by claiming that. The extra $4k buys me a little more enjoyment from the car. As I said, the differences are noticeable, the quality and feel of the upgraded interior is noticeable, hell even the smell is better in the 3LT. On top of this you get the in dash nav, PDR, and sueded upper panels. Since the PDR option is $1.8k the upgraded materials in the car are basically a $2.2k premium.

As for people trading in their C7s for the A8 there are quite a few cases on this forum, and the dealer I bought mine from commented on the number of people who bought the 2014 C7 from them and turned around and bought the 2015 later...talk about repeat customers. Its no secret that the A8 is amazing, sure the purists get all up at arms and condemn the slush boxes as being no fun to drive, but in my short time I have had plenty of fun with my A8, and I have owned a manual transmission on pretty much every car I have had since my first 72 VW Super Beetle. because I never looked at the car and said "Well this option package wont increase the value when I decide to sell it later". I bought what I

I didnt need to convince myself that I made the right purchase, wanted, what I felt would make the car feel more special to me, and I have no plans on selling the car ever. That doesnt mean I wont someday, it just means I dont plan on selling it so why skimp on options that make the car feel a bit better to my preferences.
We all don't need to understand everyone else's decision process. Not everyone has the same decision-making process. There is more than one right set of decisions.

My thought process as well as several others was.... If there was talk of DCT for 2015 it would have been worth waiting for a 2015. 3LT is better as well it should be, but I don't see $4,000 worth of differences between 2LT and 3LT.

There are a few people out of the 38,000 2014 owners trading for a 2015, mainly for a Z06, which happens to have an A8. These Z06 buyers had a pre-meditated plan to do this. Not an alarming number or series of events.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-27-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Ready to pull trigger on one of these two, new Vettes. Which is the better deal??