C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confusion over engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I talked to the Service Manager at our dealer yesterday and he said they are using Mobile 1 for the free oil changes. The Laguna Blue just turned 900 miles today so I will take it in next week for the first change. Damn, what a fantastic car, it is our 8th Corvette and it totally outshines all the others, including a few Z06's!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomer96
This is the first time I've heard of changing oil at 500 miles. Does that only apply to Z51 cars or to all of them. I currently have 3000 miles on the original oil on my non Z51 engine. Is that a problem?
Zoomer--This applies to all all new corvettes. Aside from the recent bulletin and the claimed oil filter issues I have been advised by my dealer who is a corvette fanatic that a due to extraneous metal particulates left due to engine manufacture the oil and filter should always be first changed at 500 miles. After this you can revert to the normal schedule. These are high performance engines made to close tolerances. Oil is cheap.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:27 PM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomer96
This is the first time I've heard of changing oil at 500 miles. Does that only apply to Z51 cars or to all of them. I currently have 3000 miles on the original oil on my non Z51 engine. Is that a problem?
It is only the Z51 with dry sump. My dealer did not even ask, he put in Mobil 1. When I asked him he said GM told them to put in Mobil 1 with all 5 oil changes covered under the 24 month scheduled maintence program.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:44 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ckwhite
If your dealer says "no" on using Mobil 1 for your free oil changes, just dig out a few extra coins from your pocket and pay the difference yourself.
Thanks to the forum I had my 2015 Z51 oil changed today as per the GM notice for first change at 500 miles. I had 800 miles at this time.

I mentioned to the service manager that the manual says Mobil 1 and that is what they used. I watched the technician do the change. He was courteous and showed me the 2 drains and he put in 9 and 3/4 quarts of Mobil 1. He gave me the remaining 1/4 quart if I needed to top off later. When I got home I rechecked the oil after 10 minutes and it was a fraction less than full. I left it that way as per forum advise.

Th dealer says that they will rotate my tires right to left free of charge as well during the free service. No charge for any of the work.

My dealer services my corvette clubs cars which has over 200 members. We get special pricing on services as well as accessories.

They are just a pleasure to deal with. Estero Bay Chevrolet
Old 11-26-2014, 08:02 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Had mine changed today, asked them what they were going to use, they said they use Mobil 1 for all the Corvettes
Old 11-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Jasonhol
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lancekl
Had mine changed today, asked them what they were going to use, they said they use Mobil 1 for all the Corvettes
I took mine z51 in today for my 1st change. My dealer says that gm does not cover mobile 1. I called Chevy cust serv. and they said the same. Funny how it's the "factory fill" , recommended in the manual, on the oil change reminder sticker, on the floor mat protector that they leave in your car, but not covered. Why do some dealers use mobile1 and some not?

Quick Reply: Confusion over engine oil