Sponsored by:

Tire shudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM
socaljet
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tire shudder

Although i never experienced it with either of my c6's i understand that a certain amount of what i term tire shudder is normal when the wheel is cut hard while backing up. Is there any why to determine when this is excessive as passengers have remarked unfavorably on several occasions in that they felt parts were being stressed unnaturally?
Does the z51 option make this effect more extreme?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:49 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Search function, there are a ton of threads about this.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:11 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Your passengers don't know what they are talking about. It is worse with the Z51 secondary to the tires that come with the Z51 package. Ackerman.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:33 PM
socaljet
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
Search function, there are a ton of threads about this.
A keyword to launch the search function please
Old 11-26-2014, 03:27 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by socaljet
A keyword to launch the search function please
The issue is a combination of wide tires, steering geometry (search "Ackerman"), and cold tires.

Any sharp, low-speed turn going forward or backward -- as into a parking slot-- will creat shudder or skipping of the tires. It will be more pronounced at low temperatures. If you had a C6 GS or Z06 you would have noticed it. The Z51 is more noticeable because the tires are wider.

Search on "tire shudder" "Ackerman" low-speed tire chatter" and so forth. Use Google to search the forum, not the internal search function.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:36 PM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Tire Shudder

Although i never experienced it with either of my c6's i understand that a certain amount of what i term tire shudder is normal when the wheel is cut hard while backing up. Is there any why to determine when this is excessive as passengers have remarked unfavorably on several occasions in that they felt parts were being stressed unnaturally?
Have a 2014 Z-51. Happens every morning when I back out of the garage and cut hard on the front wheels. It's 40 degrees out now (cold for me). Seems like it's always in the front, too. Completely normal.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:09 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Only the front tires will do this and it usually happens when its cold. The wider the tires are the more probability it will happen. You can eliminate the issue simply by not turning so hard or so sharp. I'm in Arizona so I don't experience the problem but I picked up the car in Missouri a few weeks ago and drove it home. Stopping for the night in Tucumcari at the Blue Swallow Motel it was 22 degrees in the morning and this issue happened while turning out on to the main road. Its not a big deal or problem, just surprising when it happens.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:34 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

It's in the manual, normal.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 PM
CGGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oddly, the C5 Z06 does not suffer from this and it has 265's up front. ???
Old 11-29-2014, 11:45 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Z51 tires do make it worse. Same size tires as my C6 z51 but much worse chatter. The key is the tires since folks who switch to all season tires say it is eliminated!
If your passenger is your friend they may just tell all your buddy's about the "piece of junk you bought." It's that bad when the tires are cold. That is the way my Z51 feels when backing out in the morning! I now use about 1/2 turn less and make a K turn when backing out of my garage. This will be my 2nd winter and the "chatter" as Chevy calls it, is so bad I don't let it occur, I just don't turn as tight until the tires warm up! Last winter I investigated the causes including Ackerman steering angles, tire slip angle and found the C7 has a tighter steering radius than the C6.
Produced a PDF with many pics of what Ackerman is all about and slip angle info for racing and street tires. The Z51 essentially has racing tires. You can download at http://netwelding.com/wheel_chatter.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 11-29-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire shudder

Quick Reply: Tire shudder