Sponsored by:

Audio system

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 03:55 PM
inner3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio system

Sorry to post here but I didn't see an audio section. Also, sorry if some people might think this is stupid. But, I went for a test drive today in a C7 with navigation, but asked about CDs or putting my pioneer z140 in and there really isn't much space for it. I'm a musician so it is extremely important for me, though I could make due with mp3 things, but i have tons of symphonies on cd. Is there not a way at all to put in an aftermarket stereo through a professional shop? I don't want to Butcher the car but my pioneer deck is still pretty new and fantastic. Just want some opinions, and again sorry if some may think that music isn't a big deal. Love the sound of the engine and usually drive without the radio, but when I have a performance coming up that is how I take of listening research for longer trips.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:21 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Your only choice, without major overhaul, is to burn your CD's & other music onto USB...
Old 11-26-2014, 05:07 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Music's important to me too, and I thought I'd miss the CD player. But I don't .. not a bit.

Rip all those CDs to MP3s on one or more 32GB SD cards. I've got about 500 CDs on ONE card, with plenty of room left. All of this music is available all the time. No more juggling CDs .. just make a selection from a list of artists, albums, songs or playlists .. If you are sure to get the album art imbedded in each song, the album cover shows up on the screen as the album plays.

If you MUST play CDs, buy a cheapo portable and plug the audio out into the car's system. That works fine. But you won't. You won't miss CDs at all, once you get past the MP3 learning curve.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:12 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

No major overhaul needed, actually...

1) Buy a portable CD player with AC/DC capability.
2) Buy an appropriate auxiliary cable.
3) Plug everything in (under the center armrest) and enjoy your CDs.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option is pulling the files straight from the CD and copying the AIFF-C onto a USB drive. It will take up a lot more space than the MP3's but there will be no compression or loss of quality.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryv
Music's important to me too, and I thought I'd miss the CD player. But I don't .. not a bit.

Rip all those CDs to MP3s on one or more 32GB SD cards. I've got about 500 CDs on ONE card, with plenty of room left. All of this music is available all the time. No more juggling CDs .. just make a selection from a list of artists, albums, songs or playlists .. If you are sure to get the album art imbedded in each song, the album cover shows up on the screen as the album plays.

If you MUST play CDs, buy a cheapo portable and plug the audio out into the car's system. That works fine. But you won't. You won't miss CDs at all, once you get past the MP3 learning curve.
Originally Posted by Algiers
Another option is pulling the files straight from the CD and copying the AIFF-C onto a USB drive. It will take up a lot more space than the MP3's but there will be no compression or loss of quality.
and the only stupid question is "what colour should I buy?"
Old 11-26-2014, 07:37 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Anyone buying a new car with a CD player is making a mistake. Vibration on the road will certainly cause the CD to 'skip' during driving. Like others have said, you should transfer your CDs to a device with no moving parts so that no 'skipping' will occur, like a MP3 player, ipod, USB key or SD card. The CDs will go bad at some point and you will have lost your music.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 PM
inner3
Pro

Originally Posted by Woodson
and the only stupid question is "what colour should I buy?"
This is the true tough question. Lol Although I love my red c6, the white stingray is unreal.
Also, I could probably play Pandora and Amazon mp3 using the Wi - Fi hot spot and if I wanted to have videos for passengers they can watch Hulu on a tablet. And make some money if I sell the pioneer. The guy at the dealership said in 5 years (approx.) new cars won't have cd players.
But are the subs good enough that I won't need my Portable rockford?
Old 11-26-2014, 10:14 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

inner3. As a kid I learned how to play a trumpet and then a baritone horn in school. As a young person I had all my music on LP's and 45's. I soon learned how to put my music on tape(cassette). After 20 something years I got a "back pack" and learned to put my music in a audio file on a CD. Going to a mp3 was simple. Putting mp3's on a stick as so easy. After owning a C6, it can be nerve racking changing CD's driving 70 mph. In the C7 you now have a computer to play your music and the music sounds great. Sorry man, learn to deal with it.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:05 AM
inner3
Pro

I guess I need to clarify something real quick. I'm 38 years old and a music professor. There are many times I leave a performance or the studio and I'm given a CD to listen to and analyze before a performance. So this has nothing to do with me being tech savvy or holding onto the past, but as stated earlier, it's for business reasons. Instances like those there is not time to download it before a gig. But as stated earlier, I'm going to make do and adjust, but just stated earlier it would be convenient to have that option for the purpose listed above. Anyhow, not saying that in a cruel way, just explaining that so my comments are not taken as someone who will not embrace the future.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:18 AM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inner3
I guess I need to clarify something real quick. I'm 38 years old and a music professor. There are many times I leave a performance or the studio and I'm given a CD to listen to and analyze before a performance. So this has nothing to do with me being tech savvy or holding onto the past, but as stated earlier, it's for business reasons. Instances like those there is not time to download it before a gig. But as stated earlier, I'm going to make do and adjust, but just stated earlier it would be convenient to have that option for the purpose listed above. Anyhow, not saying that in a cruel way, just explaining that so my comments are not taken as someone who will not embrace the future.
Professor: Convert all your own music to MP3 and put them on a thumb drive. I mean, it's so easy - why would you NOT want to do this. And for those few times someone gives you a CD to listen to, use a portable player. Believe us when we say you do NOT want to have a CD player built in to your car.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:55 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I can understand your situation and agree that an external CD player would be the easiest solution.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 AM
inner3
Pro

Sorry, I think you guys did not see the message earlier. I said it will no longer be a problem. (Responding to the CKWHITE post)

Originally Posted by inner3
This is the true tough question. Lol Although I love my red c6, the white stingray is unreal.
Also, I could probably play Pandora and Amazon mp3 using the Wi - Fi hot spot and if I wanted to have videos for passengers they can watch Hulu on a tablet. And make some money if I sell the pioneer. The guy at the dealership said in 5 years (approx.) new cars won't have cd players.
But are the subs good enough that I won't need my Portable rockford?

Last edited by inner3; 11-27-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 AM
inner3
Pro

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I can understand your situation and agree that an external CD player would be the easiest solution.
Thank you, I really appreciate that and this answer along with a couple of other member's posts will help me a lot. Great idea and if I need to play a CD that will be the solution, thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Audio system

Quick Reply: Audio system