Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When should I place my Stingray Order ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Jrider
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When should I place my Stingray Order ?

My wife and I are planning to buy a 2015 Corvette Z51 with Museum delivery a few days prior to the NCM Bash on April 23-25. We have already registered and signed up for the events. We will be driving to Bowling Green from Ohio one-way and leave the rental car at the Museum.

I have talked to the R8C folks at Museum about the offline timing of the car as to when they can schedule me in. I am trying to thread the needle and have them get me in one of 16 spots on April 20th or 21st. They are willing to work with me as long as the car is available to them.

I need to buy from a dealer that supports GM supplier discount (I am in approved Credit Union). I have this all sorted out and I qualify (for dealers that accept supplier). I have a supporting configuration from Rick Hendrick Chevrolet, however:

I need to figure out who it is best to order with and when to place that order to meet this target date.

I was thinking maybe order 11 or 12 weeks ahead of time. That was based on 8 weeks to get car offlined and 3 or 4 weeks in case we run into constraints issues. I don't care if it is sitting at manufacturing facility for 3 or 4 weeks--more than that and they may force me to take delivery too soon. Ordering too late may jeopardize the entire event!

My order configuration:
2015 Corvette Stingray Coupe Z51 2LT
Torch Red w/Kalahari interior
Q7E Chrome Z51 Wheels
Fe4 Magnetic Ride
R8C Museum Delivery
FAY Carbon Fiber dash trim
J6F Red Caliper
IO6 Navigation with UQT Performance Data Recorder
M5U 8 Speed Automatic
Old 11-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

You won't like this, but the idea of trying to time this to such a narrow window is inherently a bad idea. Way too many variables that are completely out of your control. I assume you are going with the standard roof. So, you have 2 constraint items (Z51 at 50% and the standard roof at 35%). Both of these items have been constrained for a long time, so I don't expect it to change. Getting your order accepted with the constraints is the issue. Could happen as soon as you order, or it could take weeks (or longer). Impossible to predict. Larger volume Corvette dealers have the best chance of getting the constrained items, but how many are in line in front of you? It's a crapshoot.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:41 PM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Dennis at Les Stanford

I ordered my C7 from Dennis at Les Stanford, I originally talked to him at the end of June and told him I wanted to take delivery the second or third week in October. I live in Michigan in the summer and South Carolina in the winter. I wanted to take a courtesy delivery at my local dealership in South Carolina after I returned for the winter.

Dennis told me when in August to place my order and I took delivery the last week in October. I would say plus or minus a week is not too bad.

Dennis really seems to understand the constraint and order process. He is an upfront guy who will give you the facts and keep you informed as you go through the process.

Do you know how long the museum will hold your car after it comes across the street from the factory?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Jrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pkadams
I ordered my C7 from Dennis at Les Stanford, I originally talked to him at the end of June and told him I wanted to take delivery the second or third week in October. I live in Michigan in the summer and South Carolina in the winter. I wanted to take a courtesy delivery at my local dealership in South Carolina after I returned for the winter.

Dennis told me when in August to place my order and I took delivery the last week in October. I would say plus or minus a week is not too bad.

Dennis really seems to understand the constraint and order process. He is an upfront guy who will give you the facts and keep you informed as you go through the process.

Do you know how long the museum will hold your car after it comes across the street from the factory?
That is a good question. They mentioned 3 weeks, but not sure if that was at the factory or at their place. I will find out.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:07 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Earliest delivery date at the NCM is 2 weeks after your car is built. They will extend for an additional 2-3 weeks. Anything beyond that is really pushing them. They have very limited storage but will try to work with you.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:50 AM
hdwideglide
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pkadams

Dennis really knows his stuff!!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Jrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Earliest delivery date at the NCM is 2 weeks after your car is built. They will extend for an additional 2-3 weeks. Anything beyond that is really pushing them. They have very limited storage but will try to work with you.
So, do you think I have a 4 or 5 week window to ensure the car is built prior to my taking delivery. That seems like a good margin of time. If I consider 8 weeks to build car, that puts it at ordering 12 to 13 weeks prior.

I understand constraints could push past 4 or 5 weeks, I may be likely to get it built too soon..but I think that is a better scenario to negotiate with the Museum on.

I need to pick a large dealer that has lots of allocations and can do the timing right with watching constraints. I think the only things that are on my order that are most likely a thing to watch is Z51 and the carbon fiber dash. The Z51 seems to always be on 50% (what exactly does that mean?). The carbon fiber isn't on constraint right now, but has been in the past. Worst case, I could always install aftermarket (although prefer not to).

Your thoughts?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:06 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Jrider
So, do you think I have a 4 or 5 week window to ensure the car is built prior to my taking delivery. That seems like a good margin of time. If I consider 8 weeks to build car, that puts it at ordering 12 to 13 weeks prior.

I understand constraints could push past 4 or 5 weeks, I may be likely to get it built too soon..but I think that is a better scenario to negotiate with the Museum on.

I need to pick a large dealer that has lots of allocations and can do the timing right with watching constraints. I think the only things that are on my order that are most likely a thing to watch is Z51 and the carbon fiber dash. The Z51 seems to always be on 50% (what exactly does that mean?). The carbon fiber isn't on constraint right now, but has been in the past. Worst case, I could always install aftermarket (although prefer not to).

Your thoughts?
I just ordered my car, the main thing that I am worried about is the painted roof and it's availability. This item has been running at about 20% availability for quite a while now. Meaning that 20 cars out of 100 ordered will get the painted roof.
With Z51 you have a 50-50 chance of production at order time, so for your order you have to worry about the painted roof. Going with a big dealer, such as Kerbeck or Chriswell will enhance your chances of getting your car when you want it. But it is still a gamble. Best of luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Jrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rcooper
I just ordered my car, the main thing that I am worried about is the painted roof and it's availability. This item has been running at about 20% availability for quite a while now. Meaning that 20 cars out of 100 ordered will get the painted roof.
With Z51 you have a 50-50 chance of production at order time, so for your order you have to worry about the painted roof. Going with a big dealer, such as Kerbeck or Chriswell will enhance your chances of getting your car when you want it. But it is still a gamble. Best of luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving.
The Constraints are interesting and confusing all at the same time. The latest constraint for Nov 20th posted on this site has the Dual roof package at 0%, the Visible Carbon Fiber at 20% and the standard painted at 35%. This seems strange in that it doesn't appear that they have enough roofs to build cars if 20% means 20 out of 100??
Old 11-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Your thoughts?
The constraint % for any given cycle indicates the nationwide percentage of orders that will be accepted with that item included in the order. The percentage for any individual can vary from that. For example, a dealer may get 1 Z51 out of 1 total allocations which gives them 100%. Or, a dealer may get 1 Z51 out of 4 total allocations, giving them 25%. Larger Corvette volume dealers tend to get somewhat higher percentages and smaller dealers get lower. When the dealers are given their allocations during each cycle, they know EXACTLY what they can and cannot order.

Are you getting the Transparent top? The other tops are constrained - even the standard top is constrained at 35%.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

The Constraints are interesting and confusing all at the same time. The latest constraint for Nov 20th posted on this site has the Dual roof package at 0%, the Visible Carbon Fiber at 20% and the standard painted at 35%. This seems strange in that it doesn't appear that they have enough roofs to build cars if 20% means 20 out of 100??
First of all, don't forget the convertibles - they don't get any of these tops. For the coupes, 35% get the standard painted roof, 20% get the visible carbon fiber roof and the remaining coupes get the transparent.

Get notified of new replies

To When should I place my Stingray Order ?

Quick Reply: When should I place my Stingray Order ?