Print Wikipost

Paint issues on front bumper of 2014 blade silver

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:51 PM
voyager2014
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint issues on front bumper of 2014 blade silver

I'm experiencing issues with the paint on my front bumper. The only way I can explain it is small portions of the paint are disintegrating, leaving the black surface of the bumper visible and looking like the paint was chipped off. I believe this is a defect in the paint or how it was applied.

Is it possible debris (e.g. rocks) on the road caused this? Yes it is possible but I don't think that is the problem. The times I've driven, which is not often, I don't recall seeing/hearing impacts on the front that could cause it. But also, I'll explain how I first noticed the problem, which leads me to believe it is not from debris.

The first time I encountered this problem I was washing the car and noticed a small "pin hole" in the paint. I thought it was very odd, figured it was a defect, and planned to take it to the dealership. But I had to leave on a business trip for about a week, so I covered the car and was going to deal with it when I got back. When I got back I removed the cover and to my surprise saw about a half inch black chip in the same spot I saw the pin hole. Something any first time Corvette owner would be horrified to see! But this is why I'm confident this problem is not due to road debris.

original defect:

I took the car to the GM closest dealer with a body shop (http://www.potamkinnyc.com/), and the after inspecting it the body shop manager said he couldn't tell if it was due to a rock or not. So fortunately he said they would take care of it. Of course I was very pleased, they repaired it, and it looked like new again.

However, the problem is back and in several spots! The defective paint is more than just a one off. So i'm posting to see if anyone else has experienced this? Knows what the issue is? Got a response from a dealer or GM?

Here are the new defects on my bumper:

Old 11-26-2014, 07:00 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Yup, pebble/rock strikes. My daily drivers have them all over from heavy highway driving. I need to do Expel next time.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the dealer repaint the whole bumper? If so it might be hard to tell whether the factory paint might have chipped more or if the repaint it more prone to chipping. Either way you should probably get a PPF like Xpel or Suntek put on the bumper, hood and fenders.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
Did the dealer repaint the whole bumper? If so it might be hard to tell whether the factory paint might have chipped more or if the repaint it more prone to chipping. Either way you should probably get a PPF like Xpel or Suntek put on the bumper, hood and fenders.
Is your corvette an early production one?? If so, there were some issues. Send me a PM with a phone number and I'll call you. I've been through an issue with my front fascia as well.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Pocket Aces
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-27-2014, 12:09 PM
voyager2014
5th Gear

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Yup, pebble/rock strikes. My daily drivers have them all over from heavy highway driving. I need to do Expel next time.
wow ok. I would have expected the pebble/rock strikes to look different. These seem to fine to be from rocks, but i'm no expert. Would you be able to share photos of yours to compare? thanks!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:11 PM
voyager2014
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Pocket Aces
They just patched the area that was chipped. I'm definitely going to get protection once the current chips are repaired. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 PM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to happen, more so if you drive at fast speeds, or chase other fast cars around mountain passes.

They are just small scars that bring memories, it gives the car character and separates it from the garage queens. The part that really sucks is when your windshield gets a lot of little nicks.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:39 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'll bet that there was dust on the bumper when it was painted at the factory. My C6 had the same problem plus some on the doors. All were repainted under warranty and the body shop took great care in doing the work. Now, 6 years later, the paint still looks great, although there are a couple of rock chips on the bumper. But that is going to happen given the fact that they were made to drive...a lot.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:27 PM
voyager2014
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MThomas
Is your corvette an early production one?? If so, there were some issues. Send me a PM with a phone number and I'll call you. I've been through an issue with my front fascia as well.
Yes I believe it is from earlier production, I bought it in Dec 2013. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:33 PM
voyager2014
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hxrly
It's going to happen, more so if you drive at fast speeds, or chase other fast cars around mountain passes.

They are just small scars that bring memories, it gives the car character and separates it from the garage queens. The part that really sucks is when your windshield gets a lot of little nicks.
Thanks for posting a picture. That does look similar to two of the marks that I have. Did you ever have a strike that resulted in what looked like a paint chip, leaving the black surface of the bumper (e.g. the first picture I posted above)?

Get notified of new replies

To Paint issues on front bumper of 2014 blade silver

Quick Reply: Paint issues on front bumper of 2014 blade silver