Sponsored by:

Ron Fellows Level 1 School at Spring Mountain, December 1-3, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:18 PM
techshooter
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ron Fellows Level 1 School at Spring Mountain, December 1-3, 2014

I was fortunate to be able to attend the three day Level 1 C7 course at Spring Mountain this past week. It was, without a doubt, one of the best experiences I have ever had. The level of professionalism and skill of all the instructors, the quality of the facilities and the track, and of course, track prepped Z51 C7's, made for a unique experience. The amount of familiarity and confidence in the C7 able to be gained in just three days was astounding, and my car handling skills at the end of the open lapping sessions on the third day were two orders of magnitude greater, at least, than before the class. Kudos to Rick Malone and the rest of the instruction staff: You were unfailingly professional, patient, and very perceptive as to what I needed to help me along my learning journey. You made this a unique and unforgettable experience. I wish to echo what Rick told us in class: the best money spent on upgrades is not on the car, but on your skills. The Ron Fellows driving school at Spring Mountain should be first on anyone’s list of auto related discretionary spending.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:58 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Going to do this for sure! My 2015 z51 should be here early in new year and I would love to bring my middle son who is a licensed mechanic. He fixes the vettes in my collection and drives them all.

It would be a great time with my son and also serve to make us both appreciate what these cars can do and how to be safe.

And fellows is a Canuck too!
Old 12-06-2014, 10:58 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Your experience seems to be universal. It is a must for all new owners.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Aerohead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
Good to see you made it back to the Great NW safely. I too had a great time this week Next time...more GoPro batteries needed.

I'll be back for level 2 sometime...just not sure when. Anyone who bought a new C7 should do this, given the GM discount opportunity.

What was really different this week was the one day of rain we had. It was even the first time they had to do the class picture indoors due to rain. We really got to test out the weather mode while still hitting 80 on the backstretch on flooded 48 degree pavement.

A.J.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:56 PM
techshooter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aerohead
Chris,
Good to see you made it back to the Great NW safely. I too had a great time this week Next time...more GoPro batteries needed.

I'll be back for level 2 sometime...just not sure when. Anyone who bought a new C7 should do this, given the GM discount opportunity.

What was really different this week was the one day of rain we had. It was even the first time they had to do the class picture indoors due to rain. We really got to test out the weather mode while still hitting 80 on the backstretch on flooded 48 degree pavement.

A.J.
A.J.:

Yes, it was a great time. The rain was an excellent learning experience, and the car performed extremely well even in that cold standing water, way better than I would have believed. I appreciate the A/S 3's that are on the car now even more. I'll be back for Level 2 as well, but have the same issue as you do - not sure when the timing will work for me. Will definitely schedule the day-3 from Level 1 at the front of the two day Level 2 class. I know that I will really need that refresher before jumping into the next level instruction. Might have to invest in a Go-Pro for that class. Take care!

Chris
Old 12-09-2014, 10:31 AM
cberistain
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm signed up for April 2015 ... I have a question... the info they provided me suggests wearing "drivers shoes" ... can you shed any light on this? did you wear them and if not, what did you wear?
thanks
charlie
Old 12-09-2014, 10:43 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cberistain
I'm signed up for April 2015 ... I have a question... the info they provided me suggests wearing "drivers shoes" ... can you shed any light on this? did you wear them and if not, what did you wear?
thanks
charlie
A few people brought driving shoes for the experience, but most just wore tennis shoes. I wore my Merrells and they worked just fine. Main thing is they not be too bulky.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 PM
techshooter
Advanced

Originally Posted by cberistain
thanks
charlie
I wore a set of Puma Drift 5 leather sneakers (so they are called). They have a thin sole and a rounded heel, like most driving shoes. I have wide feet, and this shoe was really necessary for me to be able to get the heel-toe technique somewhat under control. The thin sole helps with the feel on the pedals, and the rounded heel keeps you from catching it on the floor when moving from brake to throttle and back quickly. When I got home from the school, I tried the heel-toe technique while wearing my normal Nike running shoes, and it was pretty much a no-go. The sole kept catching on the edge of the throttle and the heel kept catching on the floor. The shoes were a great investment for this class, at least in my experience.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:02 PM
cberistain
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks..sounds like it is a good idea to buy a pair .... just ordered a pair of PUMA Men's Future Cat S1 Overtake Motorsport Shoes

charlie
Old 12-10-2014, 03:17 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by techshooter
A.J.:

Yes, it was a great time. The rain was an excellent learning experience, and the car performed extremely well even in that cold standing water, way better than I would have believed. I appreciate the A/S 3's that are on the car now even more. I'll be back for Level 2 as well, but have the same issue as you do - not sure when the timing will work for me. Will definitely schedule the day-3 from Level 1 at the front of the two day Level 2 class. I know that I will really need that refresher before jumping into the next level instruction. Might have to invest in a Go-Pro for that class. Take care!

Chris

glad you all enjoyed our winter driving school
this week, 61-70 degrees, sunny and no rain

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 12-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Aerohead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain

glad you all enjoyed our winter driving school
this week, 61-70 degrees, sunny and no rain
Victor,
I think you guys have a warped view of winter driving school. Up here in Minnesota, winter driving school is -15 degrees and held on a frozen lake. I've just got to figure out how to get metal studs in my Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

Your school was just like summer in Minnesota....one day of 70's then rain and 50's the next. I loved it not quite ready for your August summer class though

I invite all you desert rats to come up and try ice racing some time....its a blast. Just don't pick a fight with the Subaru guys, they take the ice seriously.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:03 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pre...ttttty sure my wife purchased the 3-day course for me as a Christmas gift. I just don't know when she scheduled it for, I guess I'll know in two weeks! If she did...I owe her BIG TIME!

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows Level 1 School at Spring Mountain, December 1-3, 2014

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows Level 1 School at Spring Mountain, December 1-3, 2014