Sponsored by:

Need Help With GM Buy Back On My 2014

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Reelfun1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help With GM Buy Back On My 2014

I didn't want to post this but circumstances have force me to.

Last week the ABS and Stabilitrak functions of my 2014 C7 went out for the fifth time. GM has agreed to a buy back and swap on a 2015.

My issue is that the service manager at the dealership has advised me I must get the exact same vehicle of which he has passed along the specs to a GM regional rep. I would like to upgrade to Z51 wheels and tires for which I'm willing to pay. The service manager says he would have to order them after the car arrives at the dealership. I'd like to know why I was not consulted before the specs were sent forth for the new vehicle. Getting the wheels after delivery will incur more expense and hassle on my part. After all, I've been inconvenienced enough with taking the car back 5 times to a dealership that is one hour away and being without my car for a considerable amount of time.

The service manager is no longer returning my phone calls. I'm thinking I need to speak with either the dealership GM or a General Motors regional rep but can't find a phone number. GM Customer Assistance just refers me back to the dealership service manager.

Any suggestions or help in finding a regional rep phone number? I'm located in FL. If this is GM's flagship vehicle, I'd like some flagship service.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Message Chevy Customer Service on this board and see what they think. To be fair, there's really no reason GM would do anything more for you than a new car with the same packages as your original.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Good on GM for stepping up and replacing your car with a newer one. You're coming out ahead with a one year newer car with zero miles, and you're pissed because they won't upgrade it above what you had at no cost? Not what you want to hear, but IMO you're being unreasonable. Get the new car and upgrade it yourself at your cost.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 474 Posts
Tech Contributor

Dont sign the gm paperwork until you get an answer. It may not be what you want to hear, but its gm money here, not the dealer. That paperwork is connected to a zone rep on this. Ask for that number.

What does customer relations tell you when you tell them you're in the middle of a replacement buyback?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:02 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Good on GM for stepping up and replacing your car with a newer one. You're coming out ahead with a one year newer car with zero miles, and you're pissed because they won't upgrade it above what you had at no cost? Not what you want to hear, but IMO you're being unreasonable. Get the new car and upgrade it yourself at your cost.
If you reread, I believe that you will see that he was willing to pay for the upgrade.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BradSW
If you reread, I believe that you will see that he was willing to pay for the upgrade.
You are correct, I missed that.

Is there an option you can order to just get the Z51 wheels and tires? I don't think there is.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 PM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You are correct, I missed that. Is there an option you can order to just get the Z51 wheels and tires? I don't think there is.
On the 2015, there is the ZF1 package, which is Z51 wheels, tires and spoiler for $1995.

Got my 3LT Shark Gray comin' with it.

Last edited by BradSW; 12-15-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Woody
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
First St Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Lifetime Member

I had my 99 bought back way back when. I'm not sure if the laws have changed. I never heard of an exchange. GM should pay you everything you paid for the car. Then you can order what you want.

Do a straight buyback.

Since the 15's are being discounted, you may be able to get what you want with the Z51 for the same money.

Good luck.

Lots of good info here"

http://www.bbb.org/council/programs-...ate-lemon-laws
Old 12-15-2014, 08:38 PM
scott76807
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Reelfun1
I didn't want to post this but circumstances have force me to.

Last week the ABS and Stabilitrak functions of my 2014 C7 went out for the fifth time. GM has agreed to a buy back and swap on a 2015.

My issue is that the service manager at the dealership has advised me I must get the exact same vehicle of which he has passed along the specs to a GM regional rep. I would like to upgrade to Z51 wheels and tires for which I'm willing to pay. The service manager says he would have to order them after the car arrives at the dealership. I'd like to know why I was not consulted before the specs were sent forth for the new vehicle. Getting the wheels after delivery will incur more expense and hassle on my part. After all, I've been inconvenienced enough with taking the car back 5 times to a dealership that is one hour away and being without my car for a considerable amount of time.

The service manager is no longer returning my phone calls. I'm thinking I need to speak with either the dealership GM or a General Motors regional rep but can't find a phone number. GM Customer Assistance just refers me back to the dealership service manager.

Any suggestions or help in finding a regional rep phone number? I'm located in FL. If this is GM's flagship vehicle, I'd like some flagship service.
If your willing to pay for any additional equipment I would call the div rep personally ...if they are not willing to accommodate your request.

I would request a check for the total purchase price including sales tax

and just go buy what you want

lemon laws are in your favor and it sounds like you have lost a lot of time dealing with this as well.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:54 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody
I had my 99 bought back way back when. I'm not sure if the laws have changed. I never heard of an exchange. GM should pay you everything you paid for the car. Then you can order what you want.

Do a straight buyback.

Since the 15's are being discounted, you may be able to get what you want with the Z51 for the same money.

Good luck.

Lots of good info here"

http://www.bbb.org/council/programs-...ate-lemon-laws
Not sure that is true but I am no expert on it. I will tell you that I had a buy back on a 2013 Cadilac ATS-Performance series. They wanted me to go pick out a 2014 and I argued that, all things being equal I should be able to stay in the GM family and get what I wanted. What I did not know was that the dealer that the car came from had to sell it at cost !!! In 2014 that was not a popular consideration on Stingrays. I got GM to give the dealer another car / alocation in addition to the one in production that I wanted, At that time I could order any additional parts that I wanted at a cost to me.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:21 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by BradSW
He wants a "credit" for the "original" wheels that come on the car so he only pays a difference. That isn't how it works - OP is being unreasonable. The offer to trade even for an equivalent vehicle one model year newer is fair. It's my experience that when any product is replaced under warranty and the exact item is no longer available you get an "equivalent" item in the current model year as replacement. Sure - the OP has had some hassles but he's also coming out ahead financially on this - the purchase price of a 2015 is higher than a 2014 AND has higher resale value currently.

Last edited by mksz51; 12-15-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Reelfun1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Dont sign the gm paperwork until you get an answer. It may not be what you want to hear, but its gm money here, not the dealer. That paperwork is connected to a zone rep on this. Ask for that number.

What does customer relations tell you when you tell them you're in the middle of a replacement buyback?
Glen, they just refer me back to the dealership service manager stating I must work through him.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 474 Posts
Tech Contributor

As said sbove, you want credit for your stock wheels?

You wont win that one. There may be nothing to talk about...but you own both sets.

Mks is correct above on all counts..IMO
Old 12-15-2014, 10:18 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Go "all the way" on the Lemon Law claim.

With my 14', It took some 4 conversations with the GM reps to finally settle.

They started off with a extended warranty. Then went to a $2000 refund then went to a new car ordered (I'd have to pay sales tax again) then I got them to give me a 100% refund taxes, registration fees, processing fees, interest paid on the loan, tire warranty, even window tint back!

Tell them just to give you a full refund.

Only issue is if they are swapping you even, no money out of pocket you loose since the MSRP (depending on when you purchased it) would be higher.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't think there's anything unreasonable that the OP is asking for here. He wants to add an option to his replacement car and is willing to pay it. I know there isn't the "wheel and tire only" option but ZF1 is just that with a spoiler. I'm sure that's what he meant and not that he's asking for credit on the stock wheels and tires.

He's posting on here because he's trying to get ahold of someone at GM because he wasn't consulted before the reorder went in and the service manager isn't returning his calls. He wants to make this adjustment but is getting no response. This all seems pretty rational to me.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Algiers
I really don't think there's anything unreasonable that the OP is asking for here. He wants to add an option to his replacement car and is willing to pay it. I know there isn't the "wheel and tire only" option but ZF1 is just that with a spoiler. I'm sure that's what he meant and not that he's asking for credit on the stock wheels and tires.

He's posting on here because he's trying to get ahold of someone at GM because he wasn't consulted before the reorder went in and the service manager isn't returning his calls. He wants to make this adjustment but is getting no response. This all seems pretty rational to me.
That's sure what it sounds like to me. Not being unreasonable at all.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:44 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The OP didn't ask for your opinion regarding his proposition. He asked for your help to find a GM person that could help.

If I were in your situation, I would attempt to speak with the dealership's general manager. There are several sponsor dealerships on this forum. Perhaps they could help steer you in the appropriate direction. Good luck with your quest.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help With GM Buy Back On My 2014

Old 12-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Honestly, I be doing a dance that I was getting a 2015 in place of my 2014. 2015's cost more than your 2014.

Did your 2014 have an automatic? Did it have Navigation? If so, are they including those in the 2015 and no up-charge?

I'd take the car and buy some aftermarket wheels and move on.

Had you not had the issues you did, you'd be driving a year older car and looking for Z51 wheels anyway.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:03 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

While it sounds like a reasonable request and no harm in asking, the OP options would be limited to whatever the lemon law in his state obligates GM to do. If you have the right to a full refund (and it's not unusual for lemon laws to include a deduction for mileage driven), it may not be enough money to cover the purchase of a comparably equipped 2015.

And understanding that you're dealing with a corporate bureaucracy (telling the OP to work it out with the dealer essentially means GM isn't going to add options at the factory), I wouldn't be optimistic of success getting a 2015 with additional options even if you pay for it.

I would view it this way--I'd be getting a newer car than I had, and in the same position as I was originally. Buy whatever wheels you want after delivery and be happy.

Quick Reply: Need Help With GM Buy Back On My 2014