C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z51 C7 overfilled oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 04:57 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Which should put you dead center of the hash marks on the dip stick.

Elmer
Yes, but that assumes you removed a certain amount of oil!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:05 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In september I purchased a 2015 Z51 in Michigan and drove it home to the Pacific Northwest. I first checked after a few hundred miles and it was an inch above the full hash mark or where the OP indicates his was.

When I got home I had the oil changed but before I took it in I pulled the bridge between the air filter and the manifold and it was full of oil.

The dealer cleaned that area and the PCV lines. I told them to put in 9.0 quarts and they obliged. This put me just under halfway between the dipstick marks . After 1500 miles on the new oil change, I added 4 oz to keep it at the halfway mark.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:24 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by romaja
In september I purchased a 2015 Z51 in Michigan and drove it home to the Pacific Northwest. I first checked after a few hundred miles and it was an inch above the full hash mark or where the OP indicates his was.

When I got home I had the oil changed but before I took it in I pulled the bridge between the air filter and the manifold and it was full of oil.

The dealer cleaned that area and the PCV lines. I told them to put in 9.0 quarts and they obliged. This put me just under halfway between the dipstick marks . After 1500 miles on the new oil change, I added 4 oz to keep it at the halfway mark.
Like I've stated before, the throttle body is located up an incline, so no oil can flow into the engine, unless of course, you tip the car up.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:12 PM
LB001
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieD
Oil gradually drains from the tank over time.
To put it another way. I measure the oil level on a hot engine according to GM protocol, then add or remove enough oil to put the oil level in the center, or just below center, of the dipstick hash marks. The next morning when the engine is cold, I check to see where the level is on the dipstick. Wouldn't filling to that level on a cold engine, give me the correct oil level, which would read to about midway through the hash marks when engine is hot?
Old 12-18-2014, 02:17 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LB001
To put it another way. I measure the oil level on a hot engine according to GM protocol, then add or remove enough oil to put the oil level in the center, or just below center, of the dipstick hash marks. The next morning when the engine is cold, I check to see where the level is on the dipstick. Wouldn't filling to that level on a cold engine, give me the correct oil level, which would read to about midway through the hash marks when engine is hot?

I follow that logic and I would concur. Let the car sit for 3 or 4 days and note the location of the oil on the dip stick. If, when hot, the oil settles in at mid-hash I would conclude that you can fill cold if you use the ascertained "cold" dip stick level. My question is, "Do you get a reading on the dip stick after the car sits unused for 3 or 4 days (or longer)?"

If yes, then we have a cold level oil mark that we can refer to. If no, then you must check and adjust with the oil hot.

Elmer
Old 12-18-2014, 06:39 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

I follow that logic and I would concur. Let the car sit for 3 or 4 days and note the location of the oil on the dip stick. If, when hot, the oil settles in at mid-hash I would conclude that you can fill cold if you use the ascertained "cold" dip stick level. My question is, "Do you get a reading on the dip stick after the car sits unused for 3 or 4 days (or longer)?"

If yes, then we have a cold level oil mark that we can refer to. If no, then you must check and adjust with the oil hot.

Elmer
how is it we can make a damn quadratic equation out of everything?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
how is it we can make a damn quadratic equation out of everything?
We sure are lucky huh?

Elmer
Old 12-18-2014, 10:14 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Oil gradually drains from the tank over time.
Originally Posted by LB001
That would work if you had any indication of oil at all on the diptstick. Try it for yourself, but I think you'll find that oil will gradually drain out of the tank overnite so that there is no oil level visible anywhere on the dipstick the next morning. At least that's been my experience on two dry sump Corvettes.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 PM
eboggs_jkvl

That would work if you had any indication of oil at all on the diptstick. Try it for yourself, but I think you'll find that oil will gradually drain out of the tank overnite so that there is no oil level visible anywhere on the dipstick the next morning. At least that's been my experience on two dry sump Corvettes.
If no oil on the dipstick after a 3 or 4 days "rest" then there is NO cold level that can be ascertained and the hot measurement is the only thing possible.

Elmer
Old 12-18-2014, 11:32 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

If no oil on the dipstick after a 3 or 4 days "rest" then there is NO cold level that can be ascertained and the hot measurement is the only thing possible.

Elmer
This summarizes the issue perfectly. Measure the oil hot, just the way the manual describes. And do it at 5 or 6 minutes after shutting the engine down -- even at 10 to 20 minutes, you'll start to see a drop in the oil level.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:24 AM
energystar
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a look at this video on how the dry sump works on the vette...it's quite involved...
Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by energystar
have a look at this video on how the dry sump works on the vette...it's quite involved...
Good stuff. Thank you.

Quick Reply: New Z51 C7 overfilled oil?