Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Z51 overkill for daily commute car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:30 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I commute 50 miles round trip to work every day. My car is a "base" 3LT with NPP and M7. Couldn't be happier.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by njchen24
Thank you all for your recommendation.

Basically, the majority is in for the z51. Can anyone tell me how loud the z51 exhaust is? I can't already bear mine in sport mode when selected from the dashboard instead from the shifter (there are two sport mode in mine where one actuated a valve or something to make exhaust sound louder). I like the exhaust sound for a short period of time but not continuously. In short I like quiet sport car. Yeah, I know. From what I can gather in your comments, are there any other benefits beside body rolls and nose dive prevention?

By the way,
- can it be driven in 1 to 3" of snow if equipped with snow tire of the same size and rim as the OEM?
- how is the picture quality of the PDR in comparison to a similar dedicated dashcam?
- can the PDR recorded your daily driving automatically similar to a dashcam?

I will definitely test drive both and make my decision.
If you get the NPP, and who wouldn't, you can make it very quiet or quite loud. You can set the sound independent of drive mode. If you get the Z51, then NPP is included. Optional on non-Z51

You can absolutely drive it in that much snow with snow tires. I do it all the time. Some folks, mainly from places that don't get snow will tell you it can't be done. Don't listen to them.

Picture quality is only ok. Not nearly as good as a gopro for example. But that's not the true purpose of it; the main function is for telemetry on a track.

No, you'd have to start the recording yourself each time.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:03 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I am facing the same decision but came to this conclusion. It is actually less expensive to purchase a 2nd "practical car" and the Z51 stingray than it is to purchase Z51 stingray as your exclusive daily driver. The rapid depreciation of placing 20,000 miles a year (in my case that is), the cost of fuel compared to a car that gets 28 miles to the gallon in the city, the replacing of the $1400 set of tires on average once a year and the inability to drive safely in sub freezing weather not to mention ice and snow and the limits of a 2 seater when needing to lug around packages and passengers helped make my decision after driving a C6 for the past 5 years as my daily driver. Bottom line, get the vette equipped the way you want and then get a 2nd 4 door car that gets great gas mileage. The best of both worlds.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I purchased a base convertible. I discovered that I seldom change suspension settings, normally leave it in sport. The base car does change throttle response and steering with the mode select. I also went with the stock exhaust system as well. The money saved will be used to purchase another Corvette in a year or two. Couldn't be happier!
Old 12-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by direct007
I am facing the same decision but came to this conclusion. It is actually less expensive to purchase a 2nd "practical car" and the Z51 stingray than it is to purchase Z51 stingray as your exclusive daily driver. The rapid depreciation of placing 20,000 miles a year (in my case that is), the cost of fuel compared to a car that gets 28 miles to the gallon in the city, the replacing of the $1400 set of tires on average once a year and the inability to drive safely in sub freezing weather not to mention ice and snow and the limits of a 2 seater when needing to lug around packages and passengers helped make my decision after driving a C6 for the past 5 years as my daily driver. Bottom line, get the vette equipped the way you want and then get a 2nd 4 door car that gets great gas mileage. The best of both worlds.
That is some major rationalization going on there.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:16 PM
JCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
Does mileage really affect the depreciation that much? How much difference between 20K and 10K per year? A few hundred? I think the primary depreciation has to do with model year change-over, features which are on the newer models that accelerate depreciation (8 spd auto vs. 6 spd), etc. Certainly high mileage cars are less desireable but only when they have really piled up mileage to the point where they become unreliable and then it just plain becomes difficult to sell the car - at any price.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JCar
Does mileage really affect the depreciation that much? How much difference between 20K and 10K per year? A few hundred? I think the primary depreciation has to do with model year change-over, features which are on the newer models that accelerate depreciation (8 spd auto vs. 6 spd), etc. Certainly high mileage cars are less desireable but only when they have really piled up mileage to the point where they become unreliable and then it just plain becomes difficult to sell the car - at any price.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff
Correct. It can also be driven in the winter, only have to insure one car, gets good mileage etc. etc.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Correct. It can also be driven in the winter, only have to insure one car, gets good mileage etc. etc.
lol, I looked at all these factors as well. In 5 years, I put 100,000 miles on my C6. If I had a 2nd car, I would have only 50,000 on my C6. Thinking that miles wouldn't really affect the price that much, I was wrong. My car would have been worth $5k to $10k more at retail with half the miles. Regarding mileage, I am getting 18mpg in my C6, my new every day car is getting 28mpg. You can do the math regarding fuel savings, wear and tear, tires, etc. As much as I love driving my vette 7 days a week, the cost of maintaining it almost covers the cost of a 2nd car and more so on the Z51 Stingray. Last winter, I spent over $1200 renting a car during the ice/snow that we experienced in the northeast. That's $1200 that could have gone towards the 2nd car. Realistically, Driving a C6 in the winter is fine as long as there is no snow. Driving a Z51 Stingray with summer tires? Not so much.

Last edited by direct007; 12-17-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:04 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Almost any Corvette is overkill for a DD. I overkill it every damn day.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM
njchen24
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the cost of maintenance will be much more than my S4.
My yearly mileage is 10k.
A second car is a hassle due to limited parking space, extra insurance, extra maintenance, extra headache from wifey and I don't know any reliable trust worthy mechanic in my area to maintain the 2nd car.
I am just going to borrow my dad Camry when it snows.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:15 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

In all honesty a C7 is over kill for a daily commuter car.

(But when has that ever stopped anyone).
Old 12-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Bigrightwinger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only if you think it is too much. I have a Z51 , not a daily driver, but for weekends. Is a Z51 too much for that? What are you going to do when you are not driving to work? I suggest you get what you want and what you can afford and enjoy every minute of it,
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Basically, the majority is in for the z51. Can anyone tell me how loud the z51 exhaust is? I can't already bear mine in sport mode when selected from the dashboard instead from the shifter (there are two sport mode in mine where one actuated a valve or something to make exhaust sound louder). I like the exhaust sound for a short period of time but not continuously. In short I like quiet sport car. Yeah, I know. From what I can gather in your comments, are there any other benefits beside body rolls and nose dive prevention?

By the way,
- can it be driven in 1 to 3" of snow if equipped with snow tire of the same size and rim as the OEM?
- how is the picture quality of the PDR in comparison to a similar dedicated dashcam?

Yes, the Weather mode is quite useful.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:39 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Easy answer. If you want to drive a Z51 as a daily driver, you will need to have magnetic ride option with it.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The Z51 wasn't worth for me, but that's really a personal decision. I won't tax the regular Corvette suspension so not getting the Z51 is a no brainer.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I would say that ANY Corvette could be thought of as overkill for daily commute. Go ahead with the Z51! You will love it on the weekends, trust me!

Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 PM
EvoX2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went for the z51 package primarily for the e-diff and optional magnetic ride which IMHO are very nice for a DD car. You won't need any of the additional cooling or anything like that. The shorter gear ratios are nice too.

The c7 is fine for winter driving provided you use the correct tires for the job. In many areas you can get by with the stock tires even in the cold for normal (non special-needs) daily driving. Don't attempt to drive in the snow without a snow set and know that you don't have warm tire race track grip in the cold. If you are going to need to drive in the snow just get a dedicated set of snows on a different set of rims (which will also be much better in the cold - and would be the recommended route either way).

No performance car on summer tires is going to be ideal in the winter (and will not be suitable in the snow). I have an Evo that was my DD and still gets plenty of use. I have pilot super sports on that too. It's phenominal in the snow, but I wouldn't drive it in the snow before removing the PSS tires and switching to my snow set.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Z51 overkill for daily commute car?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Yea, it's crazy what people that don't own the Z51 will tell a prospective buyer about it. We know they don't own it or they wouldn't say what they do. Another thread to just ignore .
Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Here we go with the cost myth again. A full set of Z51 replacements on TireRack cost a whopping $8 more than a full set of non-Z51s.

The temperature warning issued by GM applies to both sets of tires.

The wear ratings on both sets of tires is 300.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:47 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,100 Likes on 853 Posts

By the way,

There is no way I would put a brand new Vette on the road in the snow.
Get a Subaru AWD XV Crosstrek for that.

I don't even like the idea of a DD but I've been guilty on both counts.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:13 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

my Z51 is DD 365 days a year, I love the look and that I have choices that the base does not have.

Quick Reply: Is Z51 overkill for daily commute car?