Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident, then severe rear wheel hop.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

A broken shock might not be visible but still cause these symptoms.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:50 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Maybe I missed it above, but have they put it on the alignment rack yet?
Yes.

This is getting really frustrating. The dealer had my car for three days and doesn't have a clue. I can't put power to the ground.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Another member on this site had MSRC and hit a pot hole. It separated the top of the shock from the shock body. The newer MSRC response is very quick and the impact with the shock instantly going firm was enough to pop it apart. You would think there would be signs of fluid somewhere though.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:27 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stevebz06
A broken shock might not be visible but still cause these symptoms.
That's what I suspect. My dealer service department doesn't seem to know what to do about it. Any suggestions?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:34 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
That's what I suspect. My dealer service department doesn't seem to know what to do about it. Any suggestions?
Not to be flippant but a new dealer is the only suggestion I can come up with.

I mean come on, if you get excessive wheel hop under hard acceleration and a "certified" mechanic can't diagnose it then find another mechanic. This is "basic" stuff for any REAL mechanic.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mjw930
Not to be flippant but a new dealer is the only suggestion I can come up with.

I mean come on, if you get excessive wheel hop under hard acceleration and a "certified" mechanic can't diagnose it then find another mechanic. This is "basic" stuff for any REAL mechanic.
You're not being flippant. That's what I'm thinking.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:44 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Bent wheel. Although not visible to eye, a damaged wheel can provide the same symptom as wheel hop. Have you had the wheels, both side high speed rebalanced yet? Agree with other possibility is the damage to the actual shot, or bent mounting hardware....
Old 12-22-2014, 12:54 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Bent wheel. Although not visible to eye, a damaged wheel can provide the same symptom as wheel hop. Have you had the wheels, both side high speed rebalanced yet? Agree with other possibility is the damage to the actual shot, or bent mounting hardware....
No, I'll have that checked out.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:09 PM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bent wheel, bent half shaft, broken mount or insulator and lastly broken shock would be my top guesses for what its worth. See if dealer will put car on two post lift and rotate the wheel using a dial indicator to check trueness of halfshaft and wheel(outer lip and inner lip of wheel). if its all straight then go to electronics. Is any light on like TCS or AHS on? Do they come on when wheel is hopping?
So are we to understand the car rolls smoothly but up on acceleration it gives problems? How about any of the mounting points or inslators, one may be cracked and the engine torque moves it out of whack. As posted any real mechanic should be able to find something....somehwere.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:28 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PGSJOE
Bent wheel, bent half shaft, broken mount or insulator and lastly broken shock would be my top guesses for what its worth. See if dealer will put car on two post lift and rotate the wheel using a dial indicator to check trueness of halfshaft and wheel(outer lip and inner lip of wheel). if its all straight then go to electronics.

Is any light on like TCS or AHS on? NO

Do they come on when wheel is hopping? NO

So are we to understand the car rolls smoothly but up on acceleration it gives problems? YES

How about any of the mounting points or inslators, one may be cracked and the engine torque moves it out of whack. As posted any real mechanic should be able to find something....somehwere.
See above.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

When I was looking at Corvettes on the lot, a salesman at Hewlett Chevrolet in Austin told me they sold cars to a company that modified them and resold them. I can't remember the name of the company, but they were local. He said they had blown a couple shocks in the Z51 with magnetic ride on rough road. Maybe its worth checking out.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Have they removed the shock from the car? A busted shock should be pretty obvious.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:47 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Have they removed the shock from the car? NO

A busted shock should be pretty obvious. HOW SO? CAN YOU BE MORE SPECIFIC?
See above.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:48 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I would remove both shocks and compare compression and rebound against each other and see if there is a difference. If they can't figure out a way to do this, try replacing them with new shocks (non Magnetic shocks would work fine) and see if you can accelerate normally. The shock valving may be internally damaged. I wonder if a C6 shock would fit. Since this was an accident, it probably won't be covered by warranty, so I'm trying to figure out a way of doing this cheaply.

For starters, go to the back of the car and see if it bounces when you push down hard, A new car shouldn't bounce up and down. If it does, you've probably found it without taking anything apart.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I would remove both shocks and compare compression and rebound against each other and see if there is a difference. If they can't figure out a way to do this, try replacing them with new shocks (non Magnetic shocks would work fine) and see if you can accelerate normally. The shock valving may be internally damaged. I wonder if a C6 shock would fit. Since this was an accident, it probably won't be covered by warranty, so I'm trying to figure out a way of doing this cheaply.

For starters, go to the back of the car and see if it bounces when you push down hard, A new car shouldn't bounce up and down. If it does, you've probably found it without taking anything apart.
It doesn't bounce.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:31 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

It seems to be getting worse, like something's deteriorating. There used to be surfaces where I could accelerate without getting wheel hop, like the freeway on ramps near my house and office. Now I get wheel hop all the time, including without full acceleration and in second gear at fairly low RPMs.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Is this your first Corvette?________________

What town is this dealer in?__________________

ARe there other dealers in town?_______________

ARe there any indie Corvette shops in your town?___________

Are you a member of an area Corvette club?______________

Are there any Corvette-club recommended indie shops?__________

Are there any really good alignment/suspension/frame shops recommended by Corvette clubs in your town?________________

Get notified of new replies

To Accident, then severe rear wheel hop.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:43 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=AORoads;1588544695]Is this your first Corvette? YES

What town is this dealer in? GLENDALE, CA

ARe there other dealers in town? ONE IN BURBANK

ARe there any indie Corvette shops in your town? NOT THAT I'M AWARE OF.

Are you a member of an area Corvette club? NO, BUT MY NEIGHBOR IS.

Are there any Corvette-club recommended indie shops? DEFINE INDIE SHOP.

Are there any really good alignment/suspension/frame shops recommended by Corvette clubs in your town? I DON'T KNOW. GOOGLE DOESN'T SEEM TO HELP, MOSTLY DEALERS AND BODY SHOPS.
/QUOTE]

See above.

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 12-22-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Throwing this out there. Are you sure what is happening is actually "wheel hop"? Suggest you have someone outside the car observe what's happening when you start off. I don't doubt what you're feeling but it may be something more "internal". The differential, transmission. It appears it is happening when a great amount of torque is applied. I'm guessing not at "speed" A wheel or half shaft that's damaged would be noticed at speed not just at "upon acceleration ".

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 12-22-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Granted, your location may be sensitive to these dealer suggestions, but others have used: Connell, Costa Mesa; Crest, San Bernardino. I know there are others, too, just don't have their names. I do recall reading several times about Rydell in Northridge for service tho.

I think you'll have to talk w. the Corv. club neighbor to figure out if the club or members use a few shops for work, or dealers that either sponsor their club or have techs and sales of lots of Corvettes. "indie" btw, means independent shop.

I'd also start talking about suspension and/or alignment shops that can possibly diagnose the hop which is most likely accident-related. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Accident, then severe rear wheel hop.