Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident, then severe rear wheel hop.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Accident, then severe rear wheel hop.

I drove my C7 (Z51, MSRC) off a high curb at about 15 mph. I just didn't see it. The car took a pretty good blow. The right rear quarter quarter panel was pulled loose in front of the rear bumper and peeled forward about 30°. The strip under the passenger door was scraped clean of paint the entire length of the door. It took two bottles of touch paint to cover it up. Now I have severe rear wheel hop at low speed. I get on the gas in first and second at up to 25 mph and the rear wheels hop up and down violently. I can't put the power to the ground. I figure something must be broken in the rear suspension. My local Chevy dealer has had the car for a whole day and can't find the problem. I gave my service writer a ride yesterday morning, so he understands the nature of the problem. Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Pics of the touch-up paint job?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Well, depends on what your road temps are. Now that it has gotten cooler, the rear tires just don't grab like they do at warmer temps. The result is a lot more wheel hop under somewhat aggressive acceleration.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:29 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
I drove my C7 (Z51, MSRC) off a high curb at about 15 mph. I just didn't see it. The car took a pretty good blow. The right rear quarter quarter panel was pulled loose in front of the rear bumper and peeled forward about 30°. The strip under the passenger door was scraped clean of paint the entire length of the door. It took two bottles of touch paint to cover it up. Now I have severe rear wheel hop at low speed. I get on the gas in first and second at up to 25 mph and the rear wheels hop up and down violently. I can't put the power to the ground. I figure something must be broken in the rear suspension. My local Chevy dealer has had the car for a whole day and can't find the problem. I gave my service writer a ride yesterday morning, so he understands the nature of the problem. Any ideas?
I'm no expert here by any means, but just a few thoughts:

Since there doesn't appear to be anything visual you can see damaged, try pulling the fuses/circuit breakers, if that's possible, one at a time, for the traction control system, electronic parking brake, and the electronic posi rear axle, and see one of them might eliminate it. Just a wild guess because it sounds like something is engaging electronically at a certain speed.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Pics of the touch-up paint job?
Agreed. This almost sounds too bad to be true.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:41 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

WOW. If it was me, I'd take it to a good body shop rather than use touch up paint for the damage you described.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
WOW. If it was me, I'd take it to a good body shop rather than use touch up paint for the damage you described.
I did take it to a body shop to get the rear quarter panel straightened and reattached. The touch up paint area is not very visible. You can't tell the difference. Trust me.

I was hoping to get some ideas as to what might be wrong here. I'm not getting much to go on.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:47 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom

I was hoping to get some ideas as to what might be wrong here. I'm not getting much to go on.
No luck disabling the various electronically controlled systems that might not be reading a fault and think they're working properly but really not?? I'm all for computer controlled systems, but sometimes they can fool themselves and we pay the price!! When nothing is visibly wrong, that's always my next go-to thing...
Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It sounds as though there is a shock problem. I'm not a genius on suspension problems, but have seem similar problems over the years on other cars. If travel is disrupted it might cause the wheel(s) to hop when there is enough power added. I would find someone in your area who is good with setting up suspensions in sports cars and see what they think. If it is not obvious the dealer may not have the talent or skill at their shop to deal with this issue. Good luck on the fix.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:09 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

It sounds like the damage was only on one side. Is the wheel hop just on that side, or on both sides?

Did they check the alignment? It's unlikely part of the suspension could be badly damaged without affecting the alignment.

Does the car have MSRC?

Last edited by WelderGuy; 12-17-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:20 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
It sounds like the damage was only on one side. Is the wheel hop just on that side, or on both sides? BOTH SIDES

Did they check the alignment? It's unlikely part of the suspension could be badly damaged without affecting the alignment. ALIGNMENT OK

Does the car have MSRC? YES
See above.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:21 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Broken radial tire belts from a hard impact will give a bad wheel hop feeling... put that tire in the air and spin it looking for a bulge in the tire..
Old 12-17-2014, 05:23 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 89-Formula350-
Broken radial tire belts from a hard impact will give a bad wheel hop feeling... put that tire in the air and spin it looking for a bulge in the tire..
The tires look OK. It's not a "wheel hop feeling," I can't put the power down.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

sounds like you bent an aluminum suspension link/component. bring it in and get it checked. bet alignment is out in rear due to the crash..
Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Random thoughts.
What happens if you start off agressively in 3rd gear? Remember the transmission is in the rear - could there be internal damage?
Did only the rear take a hard "hit"? Is there damage to the torque tube aka drive shaft?
What is happening at higher speed - vibration? Are one or wheels out of balance ?
Is there internal damage to one of the rear shocks?
Long shot - is there something towards the front that could be causing this?
Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

OP…The comment above about lower temperatures and wheel hop on hard acceleration should be seriously considered. My Stingray would hop violently when the temperature dropped below 45 to 50°, on aggressive acceleration in lower gears, even with all electronic nannies turned on. For a while, I was firmly convinced there was something wrong with the car.

Has there been a temperature change of significance since the accident? There is the distinct possibility that there is nothing whatsoever wrong with your car.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:51 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Random thoughts.
What happens if you start off agressively in 3rd gear? Remember the transmission is in the rear - could there be internal damage? NOTHING, ONLY LOW SPEED.
Did only the rear take a hard "hit"? NO, ENTIRE CAR.

Is there damage to the torque tube aka drive shaft? I DON'T KNOW.
What is happening at higher speed - vibration? Are one or wheels out of balance ? NOTHING.
Is there internal damage to one of the rear shocks? I DON'T KNOW. THE DEASLER HAD IT FOR THREE DAYS AND COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING.
Long shot - is there something towards the front that could be causing this? NOTHING APPARENT.
See above.

Get notified of new replies

To Accident, then severe rear wheel hop.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:53 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rad22
OP…The comment above about lower temperatures and wheel hop on hard acceleration should be seriously considered. My Stingray would hop violently when the temperature dropped below 45 to 50°, on aggressive acceleration in lower gears, even with all electronic nannies turned on. For a while, I was firmly convinced there was something wrong with the car.

Has there been a temperature change of significance since the accident? IT HAPPENS AT ALL TEMPERATURES, INCLUDING 90°+. There is the distinct possibility that there is nothing whatsoever wrong with your car. NO THERE ISN'T.
See above.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Pls keep us posted. Interested if they figure the cause. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,712 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Maybe I missed it above, but have they put it on the alignment rack yet?

Quick Reply: Accident, then severe rear wheel hop.