Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 or 2015 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:37 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

If you are young and drive a Corvette everyone thinks you are driving your dad's car. If you are old and drive a Mustang everyone thinks you are driving your kid's car!

I think the new Mustangs are quite nice (despite the "catfish face" front end) but they are not a Corvette. Two different types of cars. You said you liked muscle cars so why not look at Camaros and Challengers too?

Actually given your requirements I think you should look at Cadillac. They have some really nice, fast cars and you can get a stick shift too.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:44 PM
gkgeiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
If you are young and drive a Corvette everyone thinks you are driving your dad's car. If you are old and drive a Mustang everyone thinks you are driving your kid's car!
I love car forums
Old 12-20-2014, 10:22 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Corvette Forum, get a Yugo
Old 12-21-2014, 02:09 AM
nickmenow
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

You're on a corvette forum. The result is Mustang isn't worth it. Log on to a ford site: GM not worth it. Propose the same question on a porche site. They'd tell you to get out because you aren't a dentist. Really am I the only one who thinks asking this in god's house isn't going to get the preacher wanting to say God is the only way? (No snakes were harmed in the making of this man's testimonial).

Aka: your answer is buying both and telling us then immediately going else where if you like the ford.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:26 PM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
The dodge is a boat even compared to the Mustang. Granted a very fast boat. Then there is the issue of dodge reliability
ya LOTS OF ISSUES WITH RELIABILITY, I AM A custom Home builder, A tile guy has a ram w 327k miles and all he has done is changed the spark plugs and it runs like a beast, Those hemis are bullet proof, I think all American Cars had "reliability" issues before 2006 my. I love my c7 but it has been to the dealership 7 times in 14 months, ya it was a early vin but IMO you can't even compare a mustang to a vette, and If the guy wants a muscle car IMO the challenger IS THE LAST OF A DYING BREED,,,,, if HE IS OLDER THERE IS PLENY OF ROOM, OH YA THE CAMARO SS IS NOT THAT MUCH LIGHTER.... ANYWAY IMO FORD MESSED UP W THE MUSTANG, THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE 302...BUT LIKE I SAID THE GT350 IS THE ONLY FORD I WOULD GET... EVERY MUSTANG I SEE IN MY TOWN HAS A 16 YEAROLD KID BEHIND THE WHEEL.....FOOD FOR THOUGHT THE ATS V IS GOING TO BE ONE SICK RIDE, AND THEY MAKE IT IN A COUPE,,,,,,jmo
Old 12-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

I've been looking at the C7 and Mustang as well. I love the C7, and even went to the Ron Fellows Driving School in order to have a test drive of the car. It was an amazing experience. The C7 is the real deal in every way. Great handling, great engine, great interior, great exterior, and cool features like the HUD and the active rev match (which I liked as a backup to compensate for my own heel/toe weaknesses.

However, I also have two young children, and the lack of rear seats in the Vette would really limit my driving opportunities. I also want something that I can track occasionally, so brakes and cooling are especially important to me. Those two ares do seem to be a little weak on the C7, based on what I've read on this forum.

I am therefore planning on going with the GT350. I'm not sure it will be as sporty as the C7 due to the higher CG and higher weight, but I really like the naturally aspirated, free revving engine, the two piece brakes, and the available track package with extra cooling. Not to mention the rear seats that will fit my children for several more years.

I love the C7, and plan on owning a Vette someday, but for now the 350GT is the car for me.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one.

-T
Old 12-21-2014, 03:39 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
You want quite, get the vert, 3lt is way nicer than a Mustang interior. Also get the ZF1 package with the machine faced wheels, these wheels are really nice looking. You said that price is no problem so get it loaded. It will be very comfy.
Do you belong to a credit union, if not join one and get a nice discount ( about 9% ) off of sticker. Go to gmsupplierdiscount.com and build one with all that you want on it and it will show you your price. Have fun, build several different configurations and you will find your perfect car.
Remember, you are on the Corvette Forum, so your going to get some pretty biased answers.
I have owned Mustangs in the past and they are nice, a bit more room, but not the car the Corvette is.
Good Luck
The 3LT interior is way above the mustang's. Also, I don't know if you have driven a recent Vette with Michelin run-flats, but there is very little compromise in the ride. In a base car, without the Z51 stiffer suspension, the ride, while not quite a Buick, is very comfortable. And will still out handle a mustang.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:58 PM
09C6inWA
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're an introvert, the C7 may not be for you. Initially the Mustang will attract attention but as time goes on and are put on the the road, they will become just another car.

The C7 will always be a Vette and even though they've been around 50+ years, no one will look at them as "just another car".
Old 12-21-2014, 05:32 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage

I think the new Mustangs are quite nice (despite the "catfish face" front end) but they are not a Corvette. Two different types of cars. You said you liked muscle cars so why not look at Camaros and Challengers too?

Actually given your requirements I think you should look at Cadillac. They have some really nice, fast cars and you can get a stick shift too.
Really? Because I drive a 2014 Corvette and my father who is 75 drives a 2012 Mustang GT. Analyze that.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 12-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:43 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Really? Because I drive a 2014 Corvette and my father who is 75 drives a 2012 Mustang GT. Analyze that.
When they see your dad they will think he is driving his grand kid's car!
Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 PM
wan65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I considered a mustang, it would be the 14 Shelby, but a Regular GT, no way.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I actually started a thread in OT way back in 2013 getting people's thoughts on whether I should get a C7 or GT500......guess which way I went.

I wouldn't take a GT over a C7, there's not really a comparison. I love Mustangs, so much so that I have two, but they are not the same the Corvette (year for year).
Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball1104
A lot of folks may not know who improved the 2015 Mustang is, maybe more so than even the C7 over previous generations. It's ride is finally refined, comfortable and very quiet on the interstates. And the interior is a much nicer place to spend time compared to the C7. It's airy, sportier, and very cool. And like the C7, has all the latest creature comforts, and safety features not even available on the Vette, and luxurious too. The 2015 Mustang is sporty and aggressive on the outside, but the C7 has more the "wow" factor. This is why I'm having such a hard time choosing between these two cars. They're both really nice.
I SERIOUSLY doubt this. Granted, my own C7 is the only I've been in, and it's a 3LT.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 AM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Guns
I SERIOUSLY doubt this. Granted, my own C7 is the only I've been in, and it's a 3LT.
I agree. I have driven a bunch of Mustangs and the cheap plastic interiors are pretty low rent. I know the 2015 is improved but from the pictures it still looks a lot less nice than the beautiful interior in the C7.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball1104
I'm in my 60's now, owned several muscle cars, got excited over each one, and knew at the time they were the only cars for me. Fast forward to today. I just cannot make up my mind between the non-Z51 C7 and the 2015 Premium Mustang GT. I'll probably have to rent both for a few days to decide, but would appreciate others take on this, especially if you've driven these cars. Couple things. Price is not a big issue. This may be the last sports car, so I'm not gunna skimp. The car will be my DD, so I won't be tracking it or do'n burn outs, but I do want stick, except maybe the A8 on the C7. I'll be buying an SUV also, so no issue get'n the 80" TV home or take'n my dog to the park. I've got a 2006 Mustang GT 5-speed now, and never considered a Vette until now. I think the C7 is drop dead gorgeous, right up there with Italian exotics. There's so much to like about the C7, so I'm just going to mention the downside for me. I'm all grown up now, and time for some comfort and luxury, so the run flats got to go. Don't want to hear tire noise, and might need to add sound deadening material in the back. And don't care for any of the non-Z51 wheels, so new wheels too. Figure I'll also need an alarm or camera to keep from running into curbs. Add a splitter and skirt and that's pretty much it. With the Mustang GT, I'd keep the factory wheels and tires, the splitter is included, and visibility is good, so no need for front camera. Prefer the Mustang interior, but really wanted the HUD with digital MPH and turn-by-turn NAV. As I'm writing this, the Mustang GT seems like the better DD, but Vette really is something special, and that's the dilemma. Can't have them both.
You should rent the corvette for a week and drive it everyday. At your age you may tire of doing the sit and swivel everytime you want to get in and out. It's a sports car not a muscle car like the mustang which will be easier to get in and out of as a daily driver. All season tires on the mystang won't be noisy. Plus the lower gearing will be more fun around town. You probably want the auto unless your knees are in great shape although the manual is more fun.
If you were just going to use the car for mainly road trips then other than the tire noise the Vette would be great on the highway for sure.

Plus rent the mustang for a week and drive it everyday. I think you will find the mustang more fun although a fast Cadillac is probably the best compromise because it takes above average skills to realize the potential of the vette in the handling department. Most can't drive either to 90% safely.

The honeymoon in the C7 may be over quickly for you. Rent both then decide
Old 12-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7
I agree. I have driven a bunch of Mustangs and the cheap plastic interiors are pretty low rent. I know the 2015 is improved but from the pictures it still looks a lot less nice than the beautiful interior in the C7.
I guess you haven't looked at the interior of a 1LT.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:56 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
I guess you haven't looked at the interior of a 1LT.
Well, actually I have, and if I had gotten a C7 it would have been a 3LT, so I do know what you mean. But the last Mustang rental car I drove had an interior that was weak even by econ-box standards, so I still think that the 1LT would come out ahead. The Mustang was full of mismatched hard plastics that looked ugly and cheap.

I think that comparing the C7 and 2015 Mustang is pretty odd actually. The Mustang is a very sporty, good looking and fun to drive normal car. The C7 is much more special and of course much more expensive. I'm glad that both choices are out there, I just think that they are for two completely different sets of buyers.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 or 2015 Mustang GT

Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

The C7 will turn a lot more heads and get a lot more thumbs-up and smiles from all ages than will the Mustang. That being said, the C7 gets a lot more respect on the road than a Mustang ever will.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 AM
gkgeiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well OP, I think you have enough feed back, what are you going to do?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:55 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetwo
The C7 will turn a lot more heads and get a lot more thumbs-up and smiles from all ages than will the Mustang. That being said, the C7 gets a lot more respect on the road than a Mustang ever will.
Do yourself a favor and don't buy a car for "thumbs up" or 'turns more heads" or some magical benefit from "respect".

None of this has anything to do with the driving experience that you determine which car is the right one for you.

I have both a C7 and a Mustang (Shelby GT500) and I have the choice every time I go to the garage. While I am and have been a Corvette fan and have owned many, I still choose the GT500 more often than the C7 just because I enjoy driving it more.
It is as simple as that !
Drive both as long as possible (rental?) and choose the one YOU enjoy driving most and not what some internet idiot has rationalized to himself which is the best one for you.

Quick Reply: C7 or 2015 Mustang GT