Sponsored by:

C7 or 2015 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C7 or 2015 Mustang GT

I'm in my 60's now, owned several muscle cars, got excited over each one, and knew at the time they were the only cars for me. Fast forward to today. I just cannot make up my mind between the non-Z51 C7 and the 2015 Premium Mustang GT. I'll probably have to rent both for a few days to decide, but would appreciate others take on this, especially if you've driven these cars. Couple things. Price is not a big issue. This may be the last sports car, so I'm not gunna skimp. The car will be my DD, so I won't be tracking it or do'n burn outs, but I do want stick, except maybe the A8 on the C7. I'll be buying an SUV also, so no issue get'n the 80" TV home or take'n my dog to the park. I've got a 2006 Mustang GT 5-speed now, and never considered a Vette until now. I think the C7 is drop dead gorgeous, right up there with Italian exotics. There's so much to like about the C7, so I'm just going to mention the downside for me. I'm all grown up now, and time for some comfort and luxury, so the run flats got to go. Don't want to hear tire noise, and might need to add sound deadening material in the back. And don't care for any of the non-Z51 wheels, so new wheels too. Figure I'll also need an alarm or camera to keep from running into curbs. Add a splitter and skirt and that's pretty much it. With the Mustang GT, I'd keep the factory wheels and tires, the splitter is included, and visibility is good, so no need for front camera. Prefer the Mustang interior, but really wanted the HUD with digital MPH and turn-by-turn NAV. As I'm writing this, the Mustang GT seems like the better DD, but Vette really is something special, and that's the dilemma. Can't have them both.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

C7 ... and I've owned numerous Mustangs. Completely different car.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Drive each one and then decide. The C7 would make a very good DD and gets better gas mileage than the Mustang. I'd bet the comfort level in the C7 would surprise you too.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 PM
Joegovette
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball1104
I'm in my 60's now, owned several muscle cars, got excited over each one, and knew at the time they were the only cars for me. Fast forward to today. I just cannot make up my mind between the non-Z51 C7 and the 2015 Premium Mustang GT. I'll probably have to rent both for a few days to decide, but would appreciate others take on this, especially if you've driven these cars. Couple things. Price is not a big issue. This may be the last sports car, so I'm not gunna skimp. The car will be my DD, so I won't be tracking it or do'n burn outs, but I do want stick, except maybe the A8 on the C7. I'll be buying an SUV also, so no issue get'n the 80" TV home or take'n my dog to the park. I've got a 2006 Mustang GT 5-speed now, and never considered a Vette until now. I think the C7 is drop dead gorgeous, right up there with Italian exotics. There's so much to like about the C7, so I'm just going to mention the downside for me. I'm all grown up now, and time for some comfort and luxury, so the run flats got to go. Don't want to hear tire noise, and might need to add sound deadening material in the back. And don't care for any of the non-Z51 wheels, so new wheels too. Figure I'll also need an alarm or camera to keep from running into curbs. Add a splitter and skirt and that's pretty much it. With the Mustang GT, I'd keep the factory wheels and tires, the splitter is included, and visibility is good, so no need for front camera. Prefer the Mustang interior, but really wanted the HUD with digital MPH and turn-by-turn NAV. As I'm writing this, the Mustang GT seems like the better DD, but Vette really is something special, and that's the dilemma. Can't have them both.
You are on a corvette forum so most of us love our corvettes . My only real experience with Mustangs is my father in law who just bought a 2013 GT premium with track pack. Not real sure on the 15's, but the interior of my C7 is much nicer than his 13. There is a lot of plastic on his interior and my C7 is a 3LT with lots of leather . The run flats aren't near as bad as the old C6. I am sure non run flats will be better. I have magnetic ride control on my car, and it is a very nice ride in touring. It gets stiffer with sport and even stiffer with track. I have a convertible so the tire noise isn't too bad. There is an option package on the corvette to get the Z51 tires and rims without getting the Z51 performance stuff. You have to buy a Z51 to get MSRC on 2015 vettes. Renting both cars might be a good idea. Good luck on your selection!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball1104
I've had 5 Mustangs, from '65 to '04 - all V8's, the last 3 being GT's. Only the '88 was automatic, at wife's request. I saw and sat in a '15 GT at a recent car show and was very impressed. The color (guard) was stunning (eyes of the beholder). I've ordered a Stingray because I finally can, age and finances being accommodating. However, I can't say I've owned my last Mustang, as I've enjoyed every one, and they were all great, dependable cars. My only Chevy, a '68 Chevelle SS396, was a piece of crap, which I traded for a '68 Mustang.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 PM
wayles
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Went through some of the very same thought processes last year when I was looking for a new hot ride. I've had Mustangs all my life and loved them. Was thinking about a new Shelby.

But I had always liked Corvettes too, and I had never owned one, and damn but the new Stingray sure was hot.

Went with a 2LT, M7, Z51, with mag ride. Couldn't be happier. Sure the Shelby, or GT Mustang for that matter, are both really nice cars, but they're somehow not as polished as the Stingray. I really don't think it's a fair comparison.

I couldn't be happier with my decision. I just love this car. The other really cool thing about the Stingray is I got to go see it built and have a photo album of it's build process. Don't underestimate how rewarding this is, especially if this may be the last sports car you buy. You can't do that with the Mustang.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Had a 1976 Mustang II back in 1978 for about a year.
C7 by a slim margin over that.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:49 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Originally Posted by Joegovette
You are on a corvette forum so most of us love our corvettes . My only real experience with Mustangs is my father in law who just bought a 2013 GT premium with track pack. Not real sure on the 15's, but the interior of my C7 is much nicer than his 13. There is a lot of plastic on his interior and my C7 is a 3LT with lots of leather . The run flats aren't near as bad as the old C6. I am sure non run flats will be better. I have magnetic ride control on my car, and it is a very nice ride in touring. It gets stiffer with sport and even stiffer with track. I have a convertible so the tire noise isn't too bad. There is an option package on the corvette to get the Z51 tires and rims without getting the Z51 performance stuff. You have to buy a Z51 to get MSRC on 2015 vettes. Renting both cars might be a good idea. Good luck on your selection!
A lot of folks may not know who improved the 2015 Mustang is, maybe more so than even the C7 over previous generations. It's ride is finally refined, comfortable and very quiet on the interstates. And the interior is a much nicer place to spend time compared to the C7. It's airy, sportier, and very cool. And like the C7, has all the latest creature comforts, and safety features not even available on the Vette, and luxurious too. The 2015 Mustang is sporty and aggressive on the outside, but the C7 has more the "wow" factor. This is why I'm having such a hard time choosing between these two cars. They're both really nice.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:49 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

The Mustang and Corvette are very different vehicles - the C7 is a true sports car, while the Mustang is nothing but a higher performance 2 door car (not meant in a bad way).
I have had Vette's (C3, C4, C5, C6 & C7), but none as a daily diver; I have had 3 Mustang GT's (1988, 1994 & 2005), which were all daily drivers.
The biggest advantages of the Mustang are: much easier getting in and out of; it is roomier; the visibility outward is better; it is designed to work in all weather conditions, even snow; and you can, if needed, put two small people in the back seat.
The Corvette is by far the better preforming car - handling, braking, acceleration, etc.
The new 2015 Mustang is a huge improvement over the 2005-2014 - a partner of mine just got a GT version as his daily driver (his is an automatic), and frankly it is a hell of a car - I have driven it.
My Base 2014 C7 is not my daily driver, and as someone a decade or so younger than you, I am not so sure I could live with it as my daily driver - the Mustang GT on the other hand could be.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:05 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Based on your post, sounds like a Mustang is your car.

You're going to get a bunch of reason why you should get the Vette (as you'd expect when posing a question like this to the Corvette forum).

However, just reading your list of things you'd change vs. your list of "wants"....get the GT. Beauty is only skin deep (or so I'm told), so even though the C7 is drop dead sexy, living with it daily may not suit you.

Being north of 60 myself, this C7 was going to be my last, but I expect to have a couple more before the dirt nap. So even if you choose the GT this time, maybe 2017 or 2020 you'll find fewer things to change when ordering a Corvette compared to a Mustang.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

To me its like comparing a Visio to a Samsung, a Movado to a Rolex, a Wilson to a Titliest, a Mister Coffee to a Keurig ( I know that one is a stretch) etc, etc. If money is not in the equation, its a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. The Corvette has always been a notch above the Mustang going back to the 60s when the Mustang was born. Hey don't get me wrong, I happen to like the new Mustang's design and it has some huge power outputs, especially the 5.0 with 430 or so HP, but it just is not in the same league as a Corvette.

Both cars are useless in the snow and you can equip both with snows to make them sort of OK-don't see why the Mustang is better as a DD other than ease of entry or exit.

I'm also in my 60s and will be getting a Corvette as my last car before pushing up daises. Getting a Mustang was not even in the equation.

I hope I don't seem like a home team announcer pulling for his team....

Last edited by Corgidog1; 12-18-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:35 AM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

As mentioned, one simply cannot compare the Mustang to the Corvette, they are apples to oranges. Depends on exactly what you're looking for. Corvette for superior handling (corners) Mustang for straight-line and probably a bit more comfort. Choose what YOU want.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:46 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 470 Likes on 252 Posts

I have owned more Mustangs than I can count and currently still own a 1987 LX Convertible as a track car.

My 76 year old father currently has a 2013 5.0 with a 6 speed.

As for Vettes, I've owned many also, the baddest of the bunch being a 2007 Z06.

If you can handle getting in and getting out of the C7, buy it.

I have a 2014 C7 Base Convertible with the A6 automatic.
The ride is smooth and the convertible is quieter than the coupe.
I would advise getting the NPP exhaust, I did not and had to upgrade to a Flowmaster exhaust.
The Run-flats are amazing, soft ride and sticky for handling.
The non-z51 is a comfy daily driver and I don't think you can go wrong with automatic or manual.
Being a drag racer I chose automatic.

Name:  May202014Newvette010_zpsaceab069.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  May202014Newvette001_zps26ae0168.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  86.6 KB
Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

If this is "probably your last sports car" then why no try something entirely different by getting the C7. And if replacing the run flats and mods you need to make it the perfect DD for you, then do that. You mention "Price is not a big issue" so......
Old 12-18-2014, 09:23 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I was thinking either the new Shelby GT350 or the C7. These to me are closer in price but still very different cars. I have a Focus ST pumped up to about 280HP for a daily driver and a truck for the bigger things in life. I'm 56 but still in great shape and will have no issues getting in and out of the car. I decided I wanted a true all out sports car that is also not just some pimped up $23K car with a bunch of other stuff. I wanted a car built from the ground up that is all sports car. I think the new C7 is a 8 out of 10 on looks, my 10 being the Jag F type coupe. but for the money you just can't do a better sports car then the C7 IMO.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 AM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

if i was considering a mustang instead of a vette, it would be the 350gt or the rumored 350gtr.

interestingly the motor is supposed to rev to 8000 and its a flat-crank design.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:33 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

For me and I have owned both, the choice is easily the Corvette. For you drive them both and make your choice as it sounds like you are leaning towards a Mustang.
In my opinion the Mustang is not even in the same ballpark as a Vette nor in my thought process for owning one ever again.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 or 2015 Mustang GT

Old 12-18-2014, 11:31 AM
CasualGuy
Racer

I've driven both--the C7 pretty extensively and a '15 Mustang GT for a brief test drive--and they feel quite different. Compared to the C7, the Mustang feels massive and doesn't have as much "edge" in terms of performance feel.

In the Mustang you're sitting up higher and looking out over a long hood (yes, the C7 has a fairly long hood as well, but it doesn't feel nearly as long from the driver's seat because of the way it tapers towards the ground). In the C7, you really feel like the car is more wrapped around you, while the Mustang's interior is much airier and more open. Fit and finish on both interiors is pretty comparable. Don't even think about putting an adult in the back seat of the Mustang, though. I'm 5'8" and my head was hard pressed against the rear window.

In terms of performance, for street driving the two cars are certainly in the same ballpark. The C7 definitely feels more raw in terms of acceleration that's a little more urgent and neck-snapping and an exhaust note that's a little more aggressive (both of which are points in the C7's favor in my book).

Basically, the Mustang drives like the bigger, heavier, softer car that it is. As a performance junkie, I would take the C7 over it any day, although I am eager to sample the new GT350. I think that might actually give the Vette a run for its money.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:30 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When i think of mustangs or Challengers or Camaros etc.. i think of high school parking lots. Cause they are full of them. lol. The C7 is above and beyond both of them on looks (both interior and exterior) and wow factor.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I've owned 7 Corvettes and 6 Mustangs over the years. Obviously I like both. For what you save in dollars with the Mustang up front you would have a bunch of money that you could use to turn the Mustang into a rocket both straight line and corners with the new IRS. Brenspeed already has taken a basically stock 5.0 with a tune, drag radials in the high 10's and with a small dry shot nitrous kit and Ford racing axles it ran a 10.34. Personally, I'm not thrilled with the looks of the new Mustang but I also wasn't thrilled with the C7 initially either. I now have warmed up to the C7 enough that I will most likely order a 2016 convertible. I will also likely get used to the new Mustang, as well.

It depends on what you want out if the car. Both are cool.

Quick Reply: C7 or 2015 Mustang GT