C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a C7-are Black wheels, spoiler and mirrors really that popular?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

I like them a lot...

Old 12-22-2014, 02:39 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't like the black badges. I really want a black spoiler but not so much the mirrors.

I noticed when they revealed the car the chrome grill strip was blacked out. I wonder why they reversed course and decided every car should come with chrome. I would think the chrome would cost GM more than black plastic.

I went down to Miami for a month last summer and I noticed that almost every single Corvette and Mustang had their badges removed. Thought that was strange.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I currently have a C5 vert with CCW polished wheels and I love the look. I don't like the ultra-shiney chrome and I don't like all black wheels either as they disappear into the wheel wells from a few feet away.

I plan to add a C7 Stingray coupe stable-mate and I'm already shopping for some after-market wheel options as I really don't like the three choices offered by GM. I will probably order the car with the painted silver wheels because there is no additional cost like the black and chrome wheel options. I'm trying to find some nice polished or gun-metal finished wheels to match up with my first exterior choice of Chrystal Red.

As to the matching side mirrors and rear spoiler, I really think you need to envision the final version of the car and the inter-related components. Since I'm buying a coupe, I prefer the color matched roof, mirrors and rear spoiler. If you like the CF roof, perhaps the Carbon Flash mirrors and spoiler would match up well.

I also suggest that you see as many cars in person as possible. I also thought about the CF mirrors/spoiler with black wheels, however I saw this exact combination on a Crystal Red C7 at a local show and I didn't like how it darkened up the entire car. Plus, the car was a dealer demo and was road dirty so it provided a real world ownership perspective.

I'm still considering black wheels, but I'm definitely leaning toward the body-colored side mirrors, spoiler and roof based on what I've seen.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:58 PM
philip513
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking/hoping that TSW comes out with Nurburgring wheels in black with machined faces for my non-Z51. All three sons think I should put black wheels on. Maybe it's an age thing.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:09 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You buy what you like. Me, I think they look terrible. No pizazz.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:19 PM
JCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem with black wheels is that they tend to get lost in the blackness of the wheel well/tire. I like them to show. It is my perception, however, that there are an awful lot of people who do like black wheels if you judge by pics on this forum - whether that is proven by the sales statistics or not.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2014, 05:21 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by dovervold
With the Carbon Flash accents on the C7, Black wheels seem to compliment nicely. Just make sure your wifey dresses accordingly

It's a DAMN shame the top wasn't off..
Old 12-23-2014, 05:42 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
Just yesterday, Sunday, I was out looking at Corvettes at a local dealership. This dealership has over 40 new Corvettes in inventory. Only 4 or 5 Corvettes had Chrome Wheels, the rest were Black. I don't care for the Black Wheels myself but it appears Black is the current trend ...
Yes when I was searching I too noticed a lot of black wheels...Seems dealers assumed the 2015 trend would exactly follow the 2014 trend for wheel selection but it hasn't...The need for black has dropped some I'm told.

I went for chrome/machine face or painted any color but black.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:06 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I love the black wheels. The chrome just looks to old school and the black looks mean.

Quick Reply: Looking at a C7-are Black wheels, spoiler and mirrors really that popular?